Touchscreen functionality on Mint does it exist?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImpWarfare
Level 1
Level 1

Touchscreen functionality on Mint does it exist?

Post by ImpWarfare »

So a user on the github site on the cinnamon section told me awhile ago that cinnamon has touchscreen features and works, is this true? Also how good is the touchscreen feature availability on Mint itself with Cinnamon as default? I'm interesting in eventually getting a Hanns-G 27" touchscreen monitor in a few months time but would love to know before I get one will it be worth it and will the touchscreen monitor work with the system itself? I tried mentioning it on the Ubuntu Forums but by having it Ubuntu-related unfortunately no-one on that forum answered and its been a number of weeks or months now since I've posted it and other topics in its chat section seem to be getting responses but not my topic. So I'm asking here to see if anyone responds.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
ToryWho

Re: Touchscreen functionality on Mint does it exist?

Post by ToryWho »

I have a touch screen laptop running Mint 18.3 and it works perfectly. There are some issues, with some applications, like Firefox. But my understanding is that is an issue with Firefox not properly supporting touch screen. But the desktop buttons, scrolling, selection, etc, all work great with touchscreen. I would assume that newer version of Mint work just as well.
blklein

Re: Touchscreen functionality on Mint does it exist?

Post by blklein »

I have been looking at distros for use on touchscreen systems. Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 work well, however Ubuntu MATE 18.04/Mint 19.1 MATE only partially work. The top level menus in apps usually work but then the system reacts to a touch as though it is a mouse movement. In one extreme case (an unusual sequence of 'taps') the application (Libreoffice writer) crashes and logs out (or the logout crashes the app). I have lodged a bug report with Ubuntu MATE (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mate/+bug/1792787), but there has not been any action yet.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”