Not equally distributed CPU workload

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Not equally distributed CPU workload

Post by FinixFighter »

Hi! While I was using VirtualBox I noticed that the CPU workload was not distributed equally. Take a look to the screen I did. I think that improving this functionality could lead to better perfomance.
Am I right? :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stallmansupport.org
gm10

Re: Not equally distributed CPU workload

Post by gm10 »

Nothing is stopping you from changing your virtual machine configuration to use more than 1 of your cores...
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

When you start VB and before you start the OS you use in VB, go to "Settings", then "System", then "Processor" and choose the number you want. If you have 4 cores, I would suggest no more than 2. If you have 8 (like an i7), I would suggest no more than 4. "OK" the changes, and start your OS, then check your system monitor, and you will see the changes.
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

I can't set it to two CPU.. :(
stallmansupport.org
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur »

Just in case .... the operating system that you are running in VB must be shut down for you to be able to make that change. If that is not the issue, you might want to ask the question on the VB forum section.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

On that screen, I can see at the bottom

"Invalid settings detected"

I'd remedy that, the maybe you can select more cores.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5

Post by felemur »

Good catch - I missed that. Bet you are right if the OS running inside VB isn't the issue.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

felemur wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:34 pm if the OS running inside VB isn't the issue.
It's almost certain that's the issue, but I'll add that saving the machine state counts as the machine running as well in this respect (it's basically paused to disk).
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

There's "Invalid settings detection" because I assigned 50½ of memory to the virtual OS, and VB thinks that this is a problem. Anyway thanks for your answers, I will also ask on VB forum section :)
stallmansupport.org
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

FinixFighter wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:59 am There's "Invalid settings detection" because I assigned 50½ of memory to the virtual OS, and VB thinks that this is a problem. Anyway thanks for your answers, I will also ask on VB forum section :)
How much memory does your computer have and how much are you allocating to the virtual OS?

Also, can you run the following command from Terminal, then copy and paste the result in between [code][/code] tags. It's the </> button above where you type a message.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

FinixFighter wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:15 pm I can't set it to two CPU.. :(
You have to shut down the VM OS before you can change the properties of that VM.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

Ehy guys! Unfortunately I don't use that computer anymore, the monitor has broken... maybe I will fix it in the future; I'm using an HP at the moment. I will update discussion when I'll have my old pc back! Thank you all!
stallmansupport.org

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”