Why did you decide to install Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dls84 70

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint?

Post by dls84 70 »

I've been using Mint for many years, I installed it and stuck with it because it was easy to learn/use. It was refreshing that the Mint team didn't assume that every newbie would be willing to invest in a long learning curve. I have no doubt that because of Mint more people have switched to Linux and stayed with it.

PS I will admit I was a windows user for a long time in fact I liked windows 7 a lot but 10 totally turned me off it was mistake on my part to do the upgrade. That's when I took another look at Linux and found Mint and I haven't look back since.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Let's just hope that M$ doesn't read this thread. They might discover a theme here. Nobody likes W10.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
ChrisClawson

Post by ChrisClawson »

I installed Mint in a VM to dabble in Android and other types of programming. I used to use Ubuntu, but when they switched to Unity I didn't like it so I went looking for something else and found Mint.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

OMG I AM SO FED UP WITH WINDOWS! It took me all afternoon to get my daughters laptop updated to the latest windows build. And my other daughters Dell G7 gaming laptop. Now I am working on my spouse unit's AMD Ryzen 7 laptop, and it is taking freaking forever! Pain, agony, despair, thy name is Microsoft.
progers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by progers »

I use Mint to work on open source projects. Mint has proven a wonderful balance:

* Linux core so that Docker, Hadoop, Eclipse and similar projects run as they were designed.
* Very nice UI for conveniences: like OSX (without the cost) or Windows 7 (without the annoyances of upgrading to Win10).
* Efficient: builds/tests run on my high-end desktop from 2011, with SSD, at least as fast as on my recent-vintage work Mac.

Have used plain Ubuntu from the terminal at work. Reminds me of the original Sun Unix experience. With Mint, I have that same power on my desktop, plus a great UI for all those non-dev tasks.

Windows was where it was at for decades. But over the last 10 years, all serious development shifted to Linux/OSX. Have been migrating the remaining Windows services to Mint. Great to do that on one box, with Mint able to access my HDFS drives. So far, it "just works."

For an open source developer, Mint can't be beat. Hat's off to the development team!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:23 pm It took me all afternoon to get my daughters laptop updated to the latest windows build. And my other daughters Dell G7 gaming laptop. Now I am working on my spouse unit's AMD Ryzen 7 laptop, and it is taking freaking forever! Pain, agony, despair, thy name is Microsoft.
I thought M$ had fixed the issues with the ridiculously slow updates! :roll: Thankfully these time-gobbling shenanigns are just a bad memory for me. :mrgreen:

@ progers: A warm welcome to the Linux Mint Forums! The quoted part of your post reminds me of a comment at the pub last week; "That looks like you are working with DOS!" .. I had several Terminal windows running stuff, as usual. I doubt she knows just how much more powerful a Linux terminal with BASH etc. is, compared to DOS. :mrgreen:
progers wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm Have used plain Ubuntu from the terminal at work. Reminds me of the original Sun Unix experience. With Mint, I have that same power on my desktop, plus a great UI for all those non-dev tasks.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Greetings All,

I started with a Commodore 64 with a 5in drive and low baud rate modem. Old days indeed! My first extensive experience with Microsoft products was MS dos, I don't now remember the version. Where I worked at the time had various non-MS programs like Word Perfect etc. Then we got Windows something or other. That meant all new software. Then Windows 95 and all new software again. I don't now recall how often the cycle repeated but it was often enough that I was thoroughly disgusted. I met a person who was involved with computers and that person suggested Linux.

I started with Redhat before they forked with Fedora. I switched Linux distro's several times and had pretty well settled with Ubuntu. At the time I didn't know that it would have been possible to switch GUI's, but as I'd gotten rather feed up with the way I perceived Ubuntu's GUI getting more crowded and more Windows like, I started to look for a disto with a less cluttered look. I found Linux Mint at least ten years ago and haven't looked back. I use the Xfce GUI and have learned how to keep the desktop uncluttered, the only folder on the desktop being the home folder!

I still have a Windows 10 machine, which I almost never use these days, seems every time I do use it I'm getting an update and the almost expected Windows hijinks that often result from a Windows update.

Respectfully yours, Massively ignorant.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”