Minecraft was unfortunately the last straw :-(

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Left_for_windows

Minecraft was unfortunately the last straw :-(

Post by Left_for_windows »

I thought Linux was a great idea, I started the kids on Mint 18, I have been through 18.1 and 18.2 and 19, Minecraft never worked, always obscure Java issues.
I tried https://community.linuxmint.com/softwar ... -installer and that worked, but ultimately, there are no Java fixes. Every suggestion to repair or make Java work, 7, 8, 11, 65535, doesn't matter, Java will not work on Mint. I bought VMWare Workstation (I'm not joking) because I drank the Kool Ade and really believed. I auditioned 12 different Linux distros. Some worked, but had usability drawbacks. Bottom line: Mint is a no-go because of ONE application.
Off to Windows, and that's a f-- shame.
This is really more of a vent. I truly in my heart do not believe that Minecraft would work on Mint, any version, and if I see screenshops, I believe they were made with Gimp or Photoshop. There are no solutions to the Java issue.
I had such hope, I was teaching the kids about Linux (I've been a user since 2005), but I will be dual booting with Windows on my kids' laptops starting tonight.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Minecraft was unfortunately the last straw :-(

Post by MrEen »

Left_for_windows wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:12 pm This is really more of a vent. I truly in my heart do not believe that Minecraft would work on Mint, any version, and if I see screenshops, I believe they were made with Gimp or Photoshop. There are no solutions to the Java issue.
Yup. Everyone was just trying to fool you. They were just kidding about needing to change from openjdk10 to openjdk8 to get minecraft to work.

Don'tcha hate when that happens?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Left_for_windows,

Your post shows you joined the forum today and made this one post without providing any information?

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Requires Java 8 runtime be installed first

Code: Select all

sudo apt install openjdk-8-jre wget
Make sure Java 8 is set as the default by running the command below

sudo update-alternatives --config java
I have many Java applications installed and working perfectly in all editions of Linux Mint. The PPA installation method below just worked well for me moments ago. I had to use their demo option because I have not paid for this, so I can only run their demo version. This should work for both Linux Mint 18.x and 19.x.

Minecraft : Martin Wimpress PPA installation option.
https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... /minecraft

To install Minecraft using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:flexiondotorg/minecraft

sudo apt update

sudo apt install minecraft-installer
How to Install Minecraft Game on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS – Linux Hint
https://linuxhint.com/install_minecraft_ubuntu_1804/

Hope this helps ...
Minecraft1.jpg
Minecraft2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Probably no point in responding to this post. He didn't come here for help, he came here to rant before running back to tell the rest of the Windwoes fanbois what a piece of junk Linux is. We get them here now and then. If they want to ask for help, we're happy to help them, but there's nothing you can do for people who just want to grumble and complain.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I wish there is a way to block threads like this, once we see them, and realize it a Troll just looking to rant.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you can report-it - - the 1st time, that you do see such an rant / post.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Moved the topic to chat, since it's not a question.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Neuron67

Post by Neuron67 »

I share your frustration. However, I do have it working on at least one of my machines. I've spent the past week trying to figure out why it works on one machine but on my gaming rig it is too choppy to play.
I can't help but think that there must be an easy solution as when I initially did a test install of Linux Mint 19 on my gaming pc, I used a spare HDD that I had kicking around and it worked flawlessly! I was able to install Minecraft Forge also. I then took that HDD out, put it into a smaller machine and installed Linux Mint on a bigger HDD for the gaming rig. That's when I started having trouble. I can get everything installed without issue but the game doesn't perform well at all. Even the SSD that was originally in my gaming computer didn't change the chopping of the frames.
I'm thinking it has something to do with the nVidia graphics driver on the gaming rig since it is quite old but it was working at some point.
Meanwhile, I have opened a thread on the forums in hopes that someone will get this resolved and share their findings with us.
If you have any questions about my setup I'd be happy to pass on any info I have. Don't give up! The kids deserve better than Windows!
Left_for_windows

Post by Left_for_windows »

"change from openjdk10 to openjdk8"
Literally first thing I tried a couple months ago. Never worked.
I appreciate the pointers folks, I really do, perhaps it can help other seekers.
The detailed instructions all work, all install Java, Minecraft will start (i.e. show "Mojang" but hang there), and Java will reliably crash. I have never tried 18.4, oddly enough. I suppose I could try in a VM later, but... why.
Thanks again all.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Left_for_windows wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 am "change from openjdk10 to openjdk8"
Literally first thing I tried a couple months ago. Never worked.
And did you make 8 the default?
Pentarctagon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pentarctagon »

MultiMC is also quite useful.
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

For reference, here is a video in which I made Minecraft work in Linux Mint 19. As you can see in my video I am slowing down and am not smart enough anymore to figure out how to fake a video in kdenlive :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbaDU1l3Onk

Here I made a video on how to increase fps using LM 19, but I did not realize until after uploading the video that using a screencasting app limited the fps I could get on my system in minecraft, lol. So I only got half the fps in the video that I normally get when not using a screencasting app.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIxcfahL0sw

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”