Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But ...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (SOLVED) Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But.....................

Post by Schultz »

I unticked compact layout. The uneven rows just bugged me too much. I did some experimenting since my post above, and while I don't know about Nemo, what causes the unevenness in caja was different length file/folder names. I have to say this surprises me, as I consider that as bad coding.
MrGrimm

Re: (SOLVED) Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But.....................

Post by MrGrimm »

and that the point these should be on a grid, the icons should be auto sized to be all the same size, and the text truncated as needed.
redlined

Post by redlined »

intersting point MrGrimm and seeing snap to grid for desktop has me thinking it might be modifiable through Themes :?: or gtk css files or other not advised system editting. Last resort is always an option- to nitpick the dev, did it often enough when I was on windows have yet to leave forums on linux matters (can't get the bug report and formats for issue, request, etc reading it all it slowly is my best for now). but buy em some coffee and you'd be surprised how well lubed the convo gets :mrgreen:
redlined

Post by redlined »

Not sure caja, but nemo> edit> plugins> there are plugins, scripts and extentions to write, search for and inquire about gentlemen! (and all interested:)
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Even though it is already marked solved, I'll add this. The way I normally move files and folders from one directory to another is to open both source and target directories in dual pane mode (F3), select the source directory by clicking in it, if it is not already selected, then middle click (mouse wheel or both left and right buttons) and hold on the file to be moved and drag it to the target directory and release the middle button to get a pop-up menu asking if I want to "Move here", "Copy here", or "Link here" (or "Cancel").
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

There's been quite a lot of work on the icon view in Nemo for 19.1 / Cinnamon 4. This isn't the out of the box default icon sizes but I think it's probably better. At the same icon sizes I only get 3 columns in 3.8. Nemo's compact view for those comparing with Mate is also pictured.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

slipstick wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:39 pm Even though it is already marked solved, I'll add this. The way I normally move files and folders from one directory to another is to open both source and target directories in dual pane mode (F3), select the source directory by clicking in it, if it is not already selected, then middle click (mouse wheel or both left and right buttons) and hold on the file to be moved and drag it to the target directory and release the middle button to get a pop-up menu asking if I want to "Move here", "Copy here", or "Link here" (or "Cancel").
i don't use dual pane mode, cause it eats up too much desk space. i did however i dud open a new window, middleclicked a file, dragged the file to the other window while holding down the muddle button, released the button and as i thought it only made a copy without asking. same for holding down both left and right buttons.

smurphos while i like your layout it's not for me. i do prefer the text in icon view at the bottom. in windows when there is a actual locked grid if the name of the item is say 500 character long all character that would push down a second row of icons are automatically hidden till you mouse over the icon. short of going to my roommates computer and creating a video that's the best i can do to explain icon view in windows. now your one on the right looks more like title view in windows, which for season subfolders of tv series will work nicely. i've always used titled in windows for the seasons of a show,

since this has basically turned into a discussion thread i'm removing the solved from the title.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 am smurphos while i like your layout it's not for me. i do prefer the text in icon view at the bottom.
text to side or bottom is a simple toggle in edit> preferences> views> Icon view defaults> uncheck Text beside icons, but to see if it meets your desired view will take waiting for LM19.1 to be released (or install the beta;)
MrGrimm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 am since this has basically turned into a discussion thread i'm removing the solved from the title.
nooooooooooo! but..but... we were on a roll!
(and I'll lose the bounty! :lol:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

redlined wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:09 am
MrGrimm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 am smurphos while i like your layout it's not for me. i do prefer the text in icon view at the bottom.
text to side or bottom is a simple toggle in edit> preferences> views> Icon view defaults> uncheck Text beside icons, but to see if it meets your desired view will take waiting for LM19.1 to be released (or install the beta;)
MrGrimm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:11 am since this has basically turned into a discussion thread i'm removing the solved from the title.
nooooooooooo! but..but... we were on a roll!
(and I'll lose the bounty! :lol:
text on bottom is the default view. i wasn't saying it's a bad thing that this turned in to a discussion, actually it's fine by me. the more input / suggestions the better. cause a suggestion isn't to my liking it may suite other perfectly.
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But.....................

Post by Inundated »

Since I have Xfce on the desktop, I'm curious about how Nemo and Thunar compare. (I'll search out a comparison somewhere.)

I believe there is the equivalent of compact mode in Thunar, though I couldn't get list/details/compact working at the same time. I am not at home right now, so I'll tinker with it when I get back home...
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
redlined

Post by redlined »

Inundated wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:38 pm Since I have Xfce on the desktop, I'm curious about how Nemo and Thunar compare. (I'll search out a comparison somewhere.)

I believe there is the equivalent of compact mode in Thunar, though I couldn't get list/details/compact working at the same time. I am not at home right now, so I'll tinker with it when I get back home...
hi Inundated!

funny thing with nemo (perhaps caja&thunar too) is there are at least 3 "compact" settings to play with in customizing views and frankly I'm unsure of the differences as some seem subtle enough to escape my notice (but I'm old, with even older eyes :roll:
In nemo they are found as below, thunar may have same/similar options available:
1) nemo> top right corner select "Compact view" (versus List or Icon)
2) nemo> while in Icon view right click empty space> Arrange Items submenu> check the block for "Compact Layout" (most noticable difference)
3) nemo> Edit> Preferences> Views tab> Icon view defaults> check the block for "Use compact layout" not sure if this does anything, I may need to logout or restart cinnamon though and haven't yet since playing with all these settings recently :?

and this is just nemo menu options

I do agree that with alignment, like all symmetry (as that "sense of harmonious and beautiful proportion and balance" ~wikipedia;), it is more visually appealing in Icon view- but I prefer List view with most details shown as I get used to and learn Linux, especially owner, permissions and modified times included at a glance.

smurphos mentioned a lot of Icon view work in nemo for 19.1, I'm thinking to run a live session of the beta to see if I can tempt MrGrimm to put Solved (in near future version) back on the thread starter :mrgreen:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

redlined wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:13 pm smurphos mentioned a lot of Icon view work in nemo for 19.1, I'm thinking to run a live session of the beta to see if I can tempt MrGrimm to put Solved (in near future version) back on the thread starter :mrgreen:
no one tried to temp me to put solved back in the threads title. as i said since this became a actual discussing it ridiculous to make it solved. now that said i might give 19.1 beta live a spin and see what's changed.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But ...

Post by rambo919 »

Interesting how so many people keep defending what is essentially an uncomfortable hack (alt button) when others complain that they want right-click drag and move when the latter is so OBVIOUSLY more efficient. Reminds me of how Mac users defended their 1-button mouse systems compared to 3-button systems.... then there was the great revolution where Mac's got 2-button mice....
Last edited by rambo919 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Nemo / Caja both have right click and copy to / move to in the context menu as-well. They are missing 'copy as link to' but that's the only shortfall as I see it and on my to do list as a Nemo action.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

smurphos wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 am Nemo / Caja both have right click and copy to / move to in the context menu as-well. They are missing 'copy as link to' but that's the only shortfall as I see it and on my to do list as a Nemo action.
don't need copy as link, unless it's going to popup a dialog box asking you where you want to place the link. select the items you want, rightclick make links, move those links to the location you want them. now what i would like to see is rightclicking a empty spot on the desktop or in ay folder and be able to create a new link to whatever i want. cause links are basically shortcuts for anything, whereas launchers are shortcuts for just programs.

another shortcoming is under preferences/behavior you check "open each folder in it's own window" you completely lose the open in new tab in the rightclick menu. making the default leftclick behavior "open each folder in it's own window" should not remove the ability to rightclick and open in new tab. myself i have 5 default folders in tabs, typically if i want something else open i want it open in a new window cause it's probably not going to be open long. it would be one thing if when you leftclick and you have tabs open and that folder was opened in a new tab instead of the current tab. basically i want to avoid rightclick options as mich as possible cause it saves time.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I think the main message to take out of this thread is that we all have our own preferred workflow and our own way of working around features we would like that are lacking. For example I never use tabs, rarely use more than one window but use dual pane and list view near exclusively with lots of bookmarks - I like that list-view incorporates tree-view. The make link context item drives me nuts because it names it 'Link to .... blah' in the same folder, hence I use the drag / alt shortcut a lot for making links, but normally the context menu for regular move to or copy to - both have an 'other pane' option in dual pane view. I'm sure I'm missing more than a few tricks but it works for me. :)
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

The 'drag with context menu' issue was brought up in the comments for the 19.1 beta and it is being looked into.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3661#comment-146592
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

redlined wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:32 pm
MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm
Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 pm
This compact layout is available in Mate (caja) also. But when I use it, some of the rows are not lined up straight with the row above it and beneath it. Do you guys have this problem in Nemo?
he has a good point nice that the spacing is reduced but the icons should be aligned both vertically and horizontally.
hi MrGrimm and Shultz!

This is what I see, and yes there is tiny misalignment but I attribute that to different width/height of the various icon types (folder, file, symlink, .face, etc) this is as good as it gets without going into some fine tuning in themes or using dconf editor or similar app, I'd wager.

Screenshot from 2018-12-08 16-27-01.png

edit to add: you may find better results changing the default Arrange by Name to type or other option found in that slide menu from right click on empty space.
and in their questionable infinite wisdom they removed compact from under "arrange item". anyone with any sense knows the only reason to do this is to try to hide the alignment issue when the above compact option is used with icon view. the solution would of been to add the dual sliders for icon alignment like you have for the desktop icons.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

they also removed screensavers :cry:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

redlined wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:35 pm they also removed screensavers :cry:
what to try again? just typed it into search, and it's there.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”