Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But ...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But ...

Post by MrGrimm »

as far as speed, stability, and most features nemo beats windows explore hands down, but there are a few annoying things.

1. no rightclick, hold, drag to another folder release mouse button and be asked if you want to copy to or move to the folder.

2. no list view. in my opinion most folders belong in list view simply because the amount of items. in explorer when the list of item in a folder is longer than the window you have open it's truncated to multiple columns.

3. icon spacing is massive, it really needs to be cut down by a good 80%. example: i currently have nemo sized for 4 icons across, but the amount of space is easily enough to fit 7 icons across at the default icon size.

4. which i mentioned before is remembering tabs between sessions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But.....................

Post by smurphos »

1) Alt whilst left-click and drag provides this functionality in nemo.

2) List view is present??

3) Using the Text beside icons mode in icon view can give more efficient use of space.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

1. no it does not. it simply copies it if it's on a different partition, or moves it if it's on the same partition.

2.that is not list view, that's details view. lets take your image for example: in list view ONLY the files and folders are listed(not also size, type, date modified, etc...). lets say your open window is sized to show bin through public, screenshots would be in a second column, and if there are enough items in the folder a scrollbar would be placed on the bottom so you can mouse over to the other columns.

3. as i said the vertical spacing is fine, but the horizontal spacing is horrible and changing where the text is located doesn't change that. plus in video folders i want the thumbnails maxed, and putting the text next to them looks out of place. and in your image there you can see how much space is wasted.
Last edited by MrGrimm on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

might want to quickly adjust the sound on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LPOekirl0k
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:46 am 1. no rightclick, hold, drag to another folder release mouse button and be asked if you want to copy to or move to the folder.
Yes, that's one thing I'd like to see.

It used to be that dragging with the middle-click would do this. But for some reason it was removed in Mint 19.

Alt+Left-click drag does do this. But a mouse and keyboard shortcut is still not as useful as a mouse-only shortcut.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

alt leftclick on a file and it drags the window
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:54 pm ...
2.that is not list view, that's details view. lets take your image for example: in list view ONLY the files and folders are listed(not also size, type, date modified, etc...). lets say your open window is sized to show bin through public, screenshots would be in a second column, and if there are enough items in the folder a scrollbar would be placed on the bottom so you can mouse over to the other columns.
Do you mean that it's not list view in Windows? The following is list view in 19 MATE (if I remember, that's what you have)
Shutter_002.jpg
and in the file manager's View menu, Visible columns, there's an option which columns you want to show:
Shutter_003.jpg
and you can adjust the columns:
Shutter_004.jpg
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:54 pm 1. no it does not. it simply copies it if it's on a different partition, or moves it if it's on the same partition.

3. as i said the vertical spacing is fine, but the horizontal spacing is horrible and changing where the text is located doesn't change that. plus in video folders i want the thumbnails maxed, and putting the text next to them looks out of place. and in your image there you can see how much space is wasted.
reference #2 above it is list view! but not how you prefer it... and that's the beauty of Linux, it gives you the saw to cut the branch you sit upon (customize your view, simple and safe, in this case)

as JerryF mentions or by right click the column bar and select/unselect the info you want to see in list view. If you want Nemo to always open with list view then choose that in nemo>edit>preferences>default view>view new folders using> {drop down menu} select "List view". You might also find it useful to have it "Ignore per folder view preferences" option found in >Behavior tab (nemo>edit>preferences)

I've found there are numerous small, and sometimes brain-painful, shifts in perception required when migrating from windows to linux.. some things can be made to look exact (or similar) to that stuff from our windows comfort zone, other things need some getting used to (or programming expertise to roll your own!:D)
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

o.k. now i have it. compact view is what the doctor ordered. so one addressed. thanks

https://i.imgur.com/RCA3hAY.png
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:24 pm alt leftclick on a file and it drags the window
it works, but may be a bit tricky to get used to (if you are dragging entire window then that is the normal move window function, so try again)

please left click on the file first (and HOLD that left click down keeping the desired file selected) then press [ALT] and drag file to new folder then when you release your left click nemo will prompt to move here, copy here, link here, or cancel. Hope this helps!

edit to clarify, this is as smurphos stated, press [ALT] Whilst left click and drag file, not [ALT]+left click file
(1) Alt whilst left-click and drag provides this functionality in nemo.)

in other words, left click on file and (even) drag it to desired new location, then press [ALT] before release file and the copy,move,link,cancel prompt will popup. If whole file manager moves then that says ALT was pressed first and is usual function.
Last edited by redlined on Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:32 pm o.k. now i have it. compact view is what the doctor ordered. so one addressed. thanks

https://i.imgur.com/RCA3hAY.png
well, if you had asked how to have compact view that would have been easy too! :lol:

(friendly snub, knowing what the actual question is to ask is one of my issues whilst learning Linux but I am slowly making progress and learning tons which puts me in a happy place)
redlined

Post by redlined »

hey MrGrimm, there is another thing I just found while rereading your dislike of icon space in Icon view, if you reset that text to be beneath then right click on empty space in folder go to "Arrange Items" then check the box [x] "Compact Layout" This changed the view from 4 across to 10 across for me on a fairly small window. Also don't forget the function of that slider on the bottom right side of nemo file manager, it zooms in/out (some more I want it my way and I want it now instant customization gratification! :mrgreen:
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

ok not sure why alt leftclick wasn't working before, but it's ok now. odd since windows probably has as many tricks like that and i've never had an issue with them. but then again like i said in another thread i really do need a new keyboard, way too many time i have to go back and fill in characters with this keyboard. thanks
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

redlined wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:48 pm hey MrGrimm, there is another thing I just found while rereading your dislike of icon space in Icon view, if you reset that text to be beneath then right click on empty space in folder go to "Arrange Items" then check the box [x] "Compact Layout" This changed the view from 4 across to 10 across for me on a fairly small window. Also don't forget the function of that slider on the bottom right side of nemo file manager, it zooms in/out (some more I want it my way and I want it now instant customization gratification! :mrgreen:
wait a minute 10 across would men smaller icons, right? for most folders where i do want the icon view i want the default size, and for the other folders(video Files)i want the size at max. if i'm wrong please let me know. thanks
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

o.k. to whomever suggested compact view you're a genius. didn't realize under arrange that there was a compact view checkbox. got my icon the size i want, and the spacing i wanted. thanky

all 3 items in this thread have been addressed and resolved. thanks everyone.
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:12 pm
redlined wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:48 pm hey MrGrimm, there is another thing I just found while rereading your dislike of icon space in Icon view, if you reset that text to be beneath then right click on empty space in folder go to "Arrange Items" then check the box [x] "Compact Layout" This changed the view from 4 across to 10 across for me on a fairly small window. Also don't forget the function of that slider on the bottom right side of nemo file manager, it zooms in/out (some more I want it my way and I want it now instant customization gratification! :mrgreen:
wait a minute 10 across would men smaller icons, right? for most folders where i do want the icon view i want the default size, and for the other folders(video Files)i want the size at max. if i'm wrong please let me know. thanks
There is no discernable difference in icon size as noticed by these old eyes, give it a try and tell me what you think! open nemo, select Icon view, right click empty space in opened directory, toggle compact layout in the Arrange by slide menu.

edit to add: this is with zoom slider set at about the half-way point (meaning 50%, i assume)
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:44 pm o.k. to whomever suggested compact view you're a genius. didn't realize under arrange that there was a compact view checkbox. got my icon the size i want, and the spacing i wanted. thanky

all 3 items in this thread have been addressed and resolved. thanks everyone.
awesome! and already marked Solved, well done MrGrimm and gang! :mrgreen:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: (SOLVED) Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But.....................

Post by Schultz »

redlined wrote:
hey MrGrimm, there is another thing I just found while rereading your dislike of icon space in Icon view, if you reset that text to be beneath then right click on empty space in folder go to "Arrange Items" then check the box [x] "Compact Layout"
This compact layout is available in Mate (caja) also. But when I use it, some of the rows are not lined up straight with the row above it and beneath it. Do you guys have this problem in Nemo?
MrGrimm

Re: (SOLVED) Nemo Is Great Compared To Windows Explorer, But.....................

Post by MrGrimm »

Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 pm
redlined wrote:
hey MrGrimm, there is another thing I just found while rereading your dislike of icon space in Icon view, if you reset that text to be beneath then right click on empty space in folder go to "Arrange Items" then check the box [x] "Compact Layout"
This compact layout is available in Mate (caja) also. But when I use it, some of the rows are not lined up straight with the row above it and beneath it. Do you guys have this problem in Nemo?
he has a good point nice that the spacing is reduced but the icons should be aligned both vertically and horizontally.
redlined

Post by redlined »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:16 pm
Schultz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:53 pm
redlined wrote:
he has a good point nice that the spacing is reduced but the icons should be aligned both vertically and horizontally.
hi MrGrimm and Shultz!

This is what I see, and yes there is tiny misalignment but I attribute that to different width/height of the various icon types (folder, file, symlink, .face, etc) this is as good as it gets without going into some fine tuning in themes or using dconf editor or similar app, I'd wager.
Screenshot from 2018-12-08 16-27-01.png
edit to add: you may find better results changing the default Arrange by Name to type or other option found in that slide menu from right click on empty space.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”