~! Linux MINT !~ (suggestions 4 new futurez)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CosmicPanda09

~! Linux MINT !~ (suggestions 4 new futurez)

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

Hello, there have been several developmental-ideas that have come to mind... :idea:
Feeling we can brainstorm on them here as a whole to help the over-all Linux-experience transcend! :!:
How do you feel? :?:
Namaste~*
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: ~! Linux MINT !~ (suggestions 4 new futurez)

Post by Pierre »

Do note that most of the LinuxMint Features, are available from upstream systems:
- namely the Ubuntu & Debian systems.
thus, only a few things are actually changed by the LinuxMint system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

Thank you brother... Namaste*
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi--welcome to the forums.
In my wildest dreams---I would love a Mint desktop that would simply remember window size and position.
Perhaps this is not a simple matter to implement though.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

Still have a lot to learn about Linux!...

How come the 'Firewall' in Linux Mint isn't turned on by default?
Is this because 'PeerGuardian2' might be integrated by default perhaps?

If it is or is not, regardless; it seems like a Graphic User Interface for PeerGuardian2 should be installed automatically as a default O.S. application.

Currently running "Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon/Tara {v3.8.9}".

Thank you!
Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple »

CosmicPanda09 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:53 pm How come the 'Firewall' in Linux Mint isn't turned on by default?
In Mint 19.1 the welcome wizard has a step for setting up the firewall. Not sure why it was absent previously.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

In my wildest dreams---I would love a Mint desktop that would simply remember window size and position.

** E D I T **
Because I installed Plasma onto Mint 19 XFCE, I decided to log out of Plasma and into XFCE to see if the Plasma method worked there.
Using the same Application (Thunderbird Mail) IT DID NOT WORK. So I'd guess it will not work in MATE or Cinnamon either.
Must be a KDE/Plasma thing :-(
I wonder if Clem and the Team might consider adding this function to Cinnamon? It is really handy in every day use.

I haven't checked all the versions of Mint, but in KDE (Kde 4 AND Plasma 5) this is easily done by

Opening an Application
Positioning and resizing the window wherever you want it to open each time
Right clicking the title bar of the Application
Selecting 'More Actions>Special Application Settings' from the context menu,
then checking 'Position' and 'Size' from the menu that opens.
Under 'Arrangement and access', click the drop down to the right of 'Position and choose 'Apply Initially'
Do the same for 'Size'
Click OK

Close the application and open it again. It should now open each time in the new position and size.
DO NOT choose the option 'Force' if you need to move or resize the window.
If you want the window to open each time in the last place you closed it - choose 'Remember'.

I can't remember, but I think the other Desktop Environments like Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE had the same function. I only use Mint 19 KDE these days, so I'm not sure.

Cheers,
RossD.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

Mage of Maple wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:31 pm
CosmicPanda09 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:53 pm How come the 'Firewall' in Linux Mint isn't turned on by default?
In Mint 19.1 the welcome wizard has a step for setting up the firewall. Not sure why it was absent previously.
Kudos, the "Welcome to Linux Mint" screen starts with a few paragraphs explaining things, yet people often do not even take the time to read instructions, however short they may be. The features that are titled "First Steps" should literally be the first thing!

Do you agree?
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

Something that filled up my last OS installation and hard drive quickly is that it had TIMESHIFT synchronizing to its own singular partition. TIMESHIFT currently does not provide one with the option of performing backup synchronizations to other hard drives or partition structures for OS backup.

Some people have many, if not all, of their external hard drives already partitioned in NTFS or FAT formatz.
This is an issue one is currently experiencing, until one is able to get an additional proper hard drive in order to format it to the LINUX EXT4 partition structure.

May a remedy be provided in the mean-time for those that are new to Linux?
Feel as if this will be another feature that will attract more uses if some programmers concur.

Best of wishes!~*
Many more thoughts and ideas to come..
Namaste*
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

wHY IS THERE NOT A PEERGUARDIAN [.DEB] FILE???? :?: :!: :?:
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

CosmicPanda09 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 pm wHY IS THERE NOT A PEERGUARDIAN [.DEB] FILE???? :?: :!: :?:
EH? Thread hijack much? For one, those don't work. All of those approaches are super easy to circumvent, therefore useless. Second, why would ubuntu/LM devs give a nit? Third, thats not how LM works. Others write stuff and make it open source or not, available or not, maintain it or not, nothing to do with the OS folks. . BTW, google much?

I shy away from sourceforge but if you must...for instructional purposes only on how to install for ubuntu/LM just to show there's nothing wrong with LM, here's one way in line with the usual way to install from outside the official LM sources, there are others:
Get the PPA

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jre-phoenix/ppa
get the keys (i'm not sure of this bit)

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys C0145138
gpg --export --armor C0145138 | sudo apt-key add
update

sudo apt-get update
Install

sudo apt-get install pgld pglcmd pglgui
This is from sourceforge, might/usually be wrong
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

CosmicPanda09 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 pm wHY IS THERE NOT A PEERGUARDIAN [.DEB] FILE???? :?: :!: :?:
The usual reason there's no .deb file is that it's not well supported in Linux. Thaty certainly seems to be the case here. If they can't come up with a nice .deb file for a UBuntu based distro, I'm simply not interested. ufw & gufw are fine for almost all non server users.

And on another one of your topics here, you're not going to find a nicely integrated backup solution for Linux like Windows or OS X has. You just aren't.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

all41 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:48 pm Hi--welcome to the forums.
rossdv8 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:07 pm

** E D I T **
Because I installed Plasma onto Mint 19 XFCE, I decided to log out of Plasma and into XFCE to see if the Plasma method worked there.
Using the same Application (Thunderbird Mail) IT DID NOT WORK. So I'd guess it will not work in MATE or Cinnamon either.
Must be a KDE/Plasma thing :-(
I wonder if Clem and the Team might consider adding this function to Cinnamon? It is really handy in every day use.

I haven't checked all the versions of Mint, but in KDE (Kde 4 AND Plasma 5) this is easily done by

Opening an Application
Positioning and resizing the window wherever you want it to open each time
Right clicking the title bar of the Application
Selecting 'More Actions>Special Application Settings' from the context menu,
then checking 'Position' and 'Size' from the menu that opens.
Under 'Arrangement and access', click the drop down to the right of 'Position and choose 'Apply Initially'
Do the same for 'Size'
Click OK

Close the application and open it again. It should now open each time in the new position and size.
DO NOT choose the option 'Force' if you need to move or resize the window.
If you want the window to open each time in the last place you closed it - choose 'Remember'.

I can't remember, but I think the other Desktop Environments like Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE had the same function. I only use Mint 19 KDE these days, so I'm not sure.

Cheers,
RossD.

DITTO
Last edited by Moem on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

WHY ARE THERE STILL TWO "AGENTS" IN THE LINUX MINT KERNEL?!?!?
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

WHERE ARE OUR REMEDIES?!>!>!?!~@
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

CosmicPanda09 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 pm WHERE ARE OUR REMEDIES?!>!>!?!~@
Tone down, brother. And stop spamming your neon shouts.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

CosmicPanda09 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm WHY ARE THERE STILL TWO "AGENTS" IN THE LINUX MINT KERNEL?!?!?
Why is there an "ssh-agent" in the kernel of the Linux Mint OS as well as many other Linux Kernels?

Why are we not using "open-ssh-clients" as in the CENT OS kernel?

POINT IN CLARIFICATION!^!^!^!^

HOW WILL WE BE ABLE TO ESCAPE THE MATRIX, AS LONG AS THERE IS AN """"AGENT""""" IN THE KERNEL??

Has that occurred to you dude?[
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:16 pm
CosmicPanda09 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 pm WHERE ARE OUR REMEDIES?!>!>!?!~@
Tone down, brother. And stop spamming your neon shouts.
Word up~ {heard}
CosmicPanda09

Post by CosmicPanda09 »

Is there a proper RAM clearing application in the Software Manager that's available?
Is this kind of secondary application necessary for the current Linux Mint Kernel 19.1 Tessa?
If not so as is so there is unto, what are we to do?
If there is. what is the current application available?
And if there is one, will it please be made more readily available and user friendly?
And then again, with open source Ubuntu philosopy abounding, one can and may always create there on revision, addition, resolution, or novelty; see?
Last edited by Moem on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed dramatic formatting. Please stay within the forum rules. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

CosmicPanda09 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:34 am Is there a proper RAM clearing application in the Software Manager that's available?
Is this kind of secondary application necessary for the current Linux Mint Kernel 19.1 Tessa?
If not so as is so there is unto, what are we to do?
If there is. what is the current application available?
And if there is one, will it please be made more readily available and user friendly?
And then again, with open source Ubuntu philosopy abounding, one can and may always create there on revision, addition, resolution, or novelty; see?
I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, and I somehow have the impression that you don't, either. Take a Yoga class, do a hike in the woods, go jogging at the beach. Will do you a power of good. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”