First install tweaks

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Poohstyx

First install tweaks

Post by Poohstyx »

Figured this was the best section for this, move if required.

With reference to the first install tweaks hosted at easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com.

The link for this updates to the latest version as required.
Are links still available for earlier versions.

Currently need links for 18.3

If I need to roll back again I'll be after links for 18.1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: First install tweaks

Post by MrEen »

Hi Poohstyx.

Pjotr might see this thread and offer assistance regarding the 18.3 tweaks. For 18.1, and assuming you're still using Xfce as you were in a previous post, here is the new link for that: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... e-old.html
Poohstyx

Post by Poohstyx »

Cheers MrEen, I'll add that to my local web page so I don't lose it again.
It isn't totally 18.1, the link for SSD tweaks points to the 19.1 version.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

That's one of only good blogs that are specifically about Mint, and the author is a frequeent poster here. If there was any difference in a procedure for 18.x v. 19.x I think he'd point it out.

You're quite right to be concerned about version differences but good Linux blogs, which are rare, take this into account. In fact I'd say a dead giveaway of a typical crap Linux blog is when they give out a shed load of instructions and never say which release it's for.

Actually the only real disagreement I have with those tweaks, and others do the same, is recommending swappiness to always be set to 10 or 5. Not that I think that's wrong per se but I think you need to experiment a bit, esp. if it''s a macjhine that doesn't have a ton of RAM. WIth 4Gb, sure, 10 is fine, but I have a netbook with 1Gb RAM running Mint Xfce which runs best with swappiness = 40.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Poohstyx

Post by Poohstyx »

Personally I think that blog would be vastly improved by having links to previous distros on page, we can't all run 19.

As far as swappiness goes, he does delve into the memory and drive criteria in some depth.

On this machine I've got swappiness=1, I may be better with it set to 0 & claw back the unused 17gb partition, but drive space isn't an issue yet.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”