A review of Mint by Dedoimedo

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Re: A review of Mint by Dedoimedo

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

151tom wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:51 pm
michael louwe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am Yes, it seems Linux Mint has been getting worse with every new version since LM 17x.
I have no complaints with LM 19.1 Xfce everything installed and works great OOTB on my 2009 Frankenstein build.
Not for some newbies post-install, eg ....... viewtopic.php?f=90&t=285636 - This computer has 0 bytes left?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

michael louwe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 am
michael louwe wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 am Yes, it seems Linux Mint has been getting worse with every new version since LM 17x.
I have no complaints with LM 19.1 Xfce everything installed and works great OOTB on my 2009 Frankenstein build.
Not for some newbies post-install, eg ....... viewtopic.php?f=90&t=285636 - This computer has 0 bytes left?
PEBKAC (just Google that term). :lol:

It stands to reason that Timeshift and Flatpak, both in combination and on their own, can gobble up your disk space like a hungry whale. So you have to tame them. That's just common sense.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 am
michael louwe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:49 am
PEBKAC (just Google that term). :lol:

It stands to reason that Timeshift and Flatpak, both in combination and on their own, can gobble up your disk space like a hungry whale. So you have to tame them. That's just common sense.
So, you are saying that newbies have no common sense and should not be running LM 19.?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Nah - - he's saying that it is an Pilot Error
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: A review of Mint by Dedimedo

Post by Pierre »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:25 pm His review is 6 out of 10, and he was not impressed with many things. Here is the article: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/lin ... tessa.html
gm10 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:45 am
AndyMH wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:41 am Might have a look at his 'best distro' MX-17 Horizon in a VM when I've nothing better to do.
are you Guy's are referring to this Review:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mx-18-lenovo.html
it's an glowing review, nevertheless.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Sir Charles

Re: A review of Mint by Dedimedo

Post by Sir Charles »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:41 am Might have a look at his 'best distro' MX-17 Horizon in a VM when I've nothing better to do.
Might be the best thing you ever done, when it comes to Linux, that is.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Not popular, but I like Mint 18 across the board better than 19. And I don't blame Mint. Ubuntu has had regressions since Xenial. Ubuntu seems to have taken its eye off of the ball and Mint has paid the price IMO. Compare that to LMDE 3 where Mint was not working against buggy kernel updates and other issues. I'll say it again, LMDE is likely the future of Mint.
MtnMan75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MtnMan75 »

Anxiously awaiting Linux Dedoimedo to try it out :P . Until then, I've had almost no issues with 19 that weren't easily worked out in the forums and have been happily using it for months now and love it. Actually kind of get ticked off now if I have to switch to a Windows machine to do things at work just dealing with their typical BS which made me look for a different OS in the first place. So to all involved in the development of Mint... Thanks! I had tried most of the other distros I could get my hands on, but Mint always had a better environment in my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”