SSD and Mint ROCKS !!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jondoe

SSD and Mint ROCKS !!

Post by jondoe »

Wow ,

Just FYI

I could not fix couple issues , slow boot and bluetooth quirky thing .

So decided I wanted to try a SSD hard drive . WOW 9 sec boot now . Bluetooth is ok too

My winodows booted this fast and that was bugging me that Linux did not. Well Now it is great.

Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gomerpile

Re: SSD and Mint ROCKS !!

Post by gomerpile »

samsung m.2 970 nvme ssd is even faster.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

gomerpile wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:54 pm samsung m.2 970 nvme ssd is even faster.
That's the SSD I put in my new NUC and you are indeed correct, it's super fast!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I bought a Lenovo 110s laptop with a 32GB SSD and Windows 10 pre-installed. Turned out 27GB was being used by Windows and Lenovo "features".The last straw was having insufficient hard disk space to download an 8GB Windows update! I wiped the lot and downloaded Mint 19 Xfce instead. It installed smoothly and runs nicely, and left over 20GB of the SSD free. Can't see me returning to Windows anytime soon!
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

A few months ago, I replaced the hard drive in my Dell Inspiron N4110 with an SSD. My boot times went from ~35-40 seconds to less than 15. It's like I jumped from a second-gen i3 (the laptop's actual processor) to a 5th or 6th gen. The dots on the Linux Mint splash screen barely cycle colors once-- before, it was four or five times.

A word of caution: Doing this upgrade on this particular laptop was not easy. I had to pry off the keyboard and pretty much disembowel the whole thing, including the motherboard, just to get to the hard drive bay. I'm not complaining, because this machine was a freebie and the SSD was purchased with a gift card, but anyone who's considering purchasing a laptop like this for "easy" upgrades should do some research first.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”