transfer /tmp to system memory.. good idea?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
philotux

Re: transfer /tmp to system memory.. good idea?

Post by philotux »

redlined wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 pm ... actually my new question of the month is does Linux/Mint have anything like resource and process monitor like the good ole sysinternals (now windows owned) fellas created?
There might be soon, however, if it would be available for us "ordinary" desktop Linux users, I am afraid maybe not:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... -to-linux/
redlined

Post by redlined »

while it would be nice to see Linux ports of the various sysinternals tools (and Nirosft, for that matter, what a fine bunch of apps he's put out over the years), surely there is a good resource and process monitor for Linux :?:

I'm just not thinking about it correctly, something to watch disk writes and give a simplified or detailed view of what happened for some 'recorded' period of time. I really want to see what is doing all that writing though, so as to not make that mistake again if it is a tweak or app (or ten) that i've done :oops:

I'm about to reinstall LM anyways... need to test my personal file backup plan again and use aptik specific restores this time, see how that goes. I know I have mucked up something, 133GB written daily is massive staggering amount (regardless drive is suggesting 20+yrs worth of TBW at that rate). and CPU is paying the cost, as well SSD, pretty much both running 24o7 would account for that much and the cpu at 51c constant is a significant enough temp to make my concern list, esp it ran mid 40s LM19.1 ootb.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Maybeiotopandiostat can help to pinpoint which processes do all the disk writing. I haven't used them myself, just came across:https://www.2daygeek.com/monitor-disk-i ... -on-linux/
redlined

Post by redlined »

philotux wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:01 pm Maybeiotopandiostat can help to pinpoint which processes do all the disk writing. I haven't used them myself, just came across:https://www.2daygeek.com/monitor-disk-i ... -on-linux/
at first glance this appears perfect for getting it done, thanks philotux!
(I was really messing my brain up with top and htop :lol:
philotux

Post by philotux »

redlined wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:58 pm at first glance this appears perfect for getting it done, thanks philotux!
(I was really messing my brain up with top and htop :lol:
I do get how you feel :lol:
There seems to be an unusual amount of disk activity on your /home :shock: so I hope these tools can be useful somewhat to see what is going on.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”