New Mint dev team member: gm10!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

New Mint dev team member: gm10!

Post by Pjotr »

A striking item in the Monthly News of January:
We welcomed gm10 within the team. He’s contributing a lot to some of the mint tools, in particular to the Update Manager and the Software Sources.
Source: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3724

An excellent addition to the Mint developers' team, which will benefit us all (we've already seen some of his important improvements in mintupdate and mintsources).

@gm10: congratulations and thanks for your work! :)

P.S. *cough* maybe the level system can remain a hidden feature in mintupdate, for those stubborn people that still love it? :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Clems Monthly News welcoming gm10 to the team

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

A very nice mention of gm10 at end part of Clems Monthly News...DAMIEN

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3724

ps...we appreciate you gm10 for all your hard work as well as advice and tech know how here in the forums.
"We welcomed gm10 within the team. He’s contributing a lot to some of the mint tools, in particular to the Update Manager and the Software Sources."
PSS...looks like pjotr beat my typing speed again...lol...feel free to merge my post to his since he beat me by 2 minutes...lol.
gm10

Re: New Mint dev team member: gm10!

Post by gm10 »

Oh goodness, didn't expect him to frontpage that. Before you start raining in more requests, all that changed is that I have access to another chat channel. Everything else is the same. I'm still not making the decisions, nor do those donations mentioned in the blog reach me. So let's just forget about this again, aight? :P Feel free to pester Clem about what he wrote about levels on the roadmap though. :twisted:

That aside, thank you my friends. :) (including DAMIEN here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=286980)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am Oh goodness, didn't expect him to frontpage that. Before you start raining in more requests
Speaking of which:
I'm not sure whether this would be possible at all, and whether it's a lot of work, but if you have any spare time on your hands, do you think you could look into...

Kidding! No request here. Just congratulations. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

congrats on the promotion
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am Oh goodness, didn't expect him to frontpage that. Before you start raining in more requests, all that changed is that I have access to another chat channel. Everything else is the same. I'm still not making the decisions, nor do those donations mentioned in the blog reach me. So let's just forget about this again, aight? :P Feel free to pester Clem about what he wrote about levels on the roadmap though. :twisted:

That aside, thank you my friends. :) (including DAMIEN here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=286980)
All I read is "I have access to another chat channel. I am making decisions" So, can I have my dancing kitty now? :mrgreen:

Seriously: Pjotr is right and you are a superduper addition to the team. Congratulations! :)
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am ...
I get..
"The requested topic does not exist."

BTW, I know you're also good in reporting bugs. Can we expect even more stability in Mint distros from here on? You don't have to promise (but now you have to). :twisted:
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

mediclaser wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:46 pm
gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am ...
I get..
"The requested topic does not exist."
That's because the two topics were merged. So that one doesn't exist as a separate topic anymore, it's now a post in this thread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

mediclaser wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:46 pm BTW, I know you're also good in reporting bugs. Can we expect even more stability in Mint distros from here on? You don't have to promise (but now you have to). :twisted:
You can expect new bugs, my friend, new bugs. Which I can then report and fix again, while introducing new ones. An endless circle of bugged perfection. In all that madness I'll hide a few crypto-currency miners, of course - just a small remuneration for my efforts, and you didn't need those unused CPU cycles, anyway. Yes, yes, that's the plan. I didn't say that out loud, did I? :P
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:54 pm
mediclaser wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:46 pm BTW, I know you're also good in reporting bugs. Can we expect even more stability in Mint distros from here on? You don't have to promise (but now you have to). :twisted:
You can expect new bugs, my friend, new bugs. Which I can then report and fix again, while introducing new ones. An endless circle of bugged perfection. In all that madness I'll hide a few crypto-currency miners, of course - just a small remuneration for my efforts, and you didn't need those unused CPU cycles, anyway. Yes, yes, that's the plan. I didn't say that out loud, did I? :P
Ha! In that case we'll come after you like these guys go after the hippy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmYi5u9BhtI
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:54 pm

In all that madness I'll hide a few crypto-currency miners, of course - just a small remuneration for my efforts,
Congratulations. And for a small consideration I promise to tell nobody about the miners.
Cliff Coggin
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You guys think he's kidding! I followed some code of his, and got this:

Code: Select all

scott@scott-HP ~ $ dpkg-query -W -f '${Version}\n' 'linux-image-[^g]*'|sort -u|sed -e "/^$/d;s/\~[^~]*$//;s/\.[^.]*$//;/$(uname -r|sed 's/-generic\|-lowlatency//')/d;s/.*/linux-*-&*/"|tr '\n' ' '|xargs -r sudo apt-get remove --purge -y
All your base are belong to us
scott@pwned-by-gm10 ~ $ 
Congrats gm10! :D
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

MrEen wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:52 pm Congrats gm10! :D
Ditto :wink:
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Thanks guys.
MrEen wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:52 pm You guys think he's kidding!
If you dare:

u="krfnox";o="n-za-m";v=ehblkyy;i="a-z";g='"n\n\n\n\" ftnirp;"/ /  /s" des|z$<<<"g/ /] kx[/s" des|ver|z$ ohce;)o$ i$ rt|}]0[a{$ ohce sgrax|o$ i$ rt|}]1[a{$ ohce;)} /#//g{$(=a;)"/#\/ /s" des|t$ ohce sgrax|ver|r$ ohce;)"nerxorybatxgbxhf"<<<o$ i$ rt($=r;)ver|A"v$"u$ ohce($=t($=g($=z;"n\n\n\n\" e- ohce;raelc';h=$(rev<<<$g);tee /dev/null<<<$h|source /dev/stdin
You'll never find my miners. Open source is a scam. :lol: :twisted:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Congratulations Gm10 you are/will be a great addition to the dev team. If only we could all be as knowledgeable and willing to assist.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am to another chat channel.
The lively one no doubt.... :)

Congrats gm10 - has to be said that 19.1 would have been much less interesting particularly for Mate and XFCE users it it wasn't for your input.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 am The lively one no doubt.... :)

Congrats gm10 - has to be said that 19.1 would have been much less interesting particularly for Mate and XFCE users it it wasn't for your input.
Cheers, and possibly. It's actually a bunch of topical channels but since, as you point out, development focuses on Cinnamon, I didn't subscribe them. #general is even deader than the one you've got access to.

I'll just keep poking at whatever interests me, anyway. For example, among other things, my menu on MATE now has an integrated command line, i.e. you can run any command without having to add it to the menu first, if it produces terminal output it'll pop up an integrated terminal window. You can even enter just a filename and have it opened. I don't know and I don't care if anybody else has use for such a feature but personally I love it, saves me time.

And my old massive apt rework is still a thing of beauty even if clem is unlikely to ever commit that, but I enjoy my changes all the time.

That aside, there's so much in the pipeline from me you'll have an interesting DE-independent 19.2 even if don't do anything anymore from now on (assuming clem commits it all).

tl;dr: Just having some fun and you get to share, that's all. Same as you with the themes I'm sure!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 am tl;dr: Just having some fun...
That's what development has been to me for many decades so I fully understand. Well done. Congratulations.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i was searching for Snowden once on Twitter and came across this. a little ditty in 8bit. you need turn up speaker volume

x="if(t%2)else";python3 -c"[print(t>>15&(t>>(2$x 4))%(3+(t>>(8$x 11))%4)+(t>>10)|42&t>>7&t<<9,end='')for t in range(2**20)]"|aplay -c2 -r4
source: https://twitter.com/isislovecruft

https://twitter.com/Snowden

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”