Level 20
Level 20

Re: Why do newcomers stay with Mint?

Post by Pierre »

it does seem that most Folks, have moved over,
due to some issue ( or three ) with the Microsoft Windows System
:shock:
strange - that.

they also tend to stay with the LinuxMint System, due to it's perceived stability,
& when they compare the LinuxMint System to that Windows System.

YES - it does have it's issues, but most are solvable,
and those that aren't - those folks seem to find another alternative:
- - there is no shortage of Windows Alternatives, once you've actually started looking around.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

I don't think there has been or will be any OS that suits all needs. Certainly not in my life seeing the evolution of IBM's first term, Apple1, pcDOS, VMS. Solaris, etc etc. On the Linux side now you have hardware dedicated os's like rasbarian for the PI, penetration hacking OS's on same etc, server OS's, desktop os like LM, also MX, Arch Manjaro etc. They all do different things as designed. When one says "best", ;you have to say "best for what??". LM is a desktop oriented OS meant to be productive in a wide range of personal desktop types of activities and to be easy to use, so many great tools to manage for the beginner and power user alike. For me, still a linux noob , its been great. Never perfect for everything under the sun but what is? certainly not anything from MS or Apple. And its free. I can put it on how ever many system I want; Multiboot my work computer or just live boot it on almost any system i walk up to. Ok, not everyone is happy about that but I get Sh@T done. Perl script no problem, R... no problem. PY....no problem. fun fun.

I don't think LM or any other distro will be able to knock off MS or Apple or android (with linux Kernel) so lets not worry about that and just enjoy that some of us are more happy with running our own computing experience than others. I'm dreading turning on my work mandated laptop as I'm sure it is about to 'upgrade' for an hour or two with a good chance it will be screwed after...
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

oldgranola wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:55 pm
I don't think LM or any other distro will be able to knock off MS or Apple or android (with linux Kernel) so lets not worry about that and just enjoy that some of us are more happy with running our own computing experience than others. I'm dreading turning on my work mandated laptop as I'm sure it is about to 'upgrade' for an hour or two with a good chance it will be screwed after...
Agreed, however. in the long term, who knows? Look at cars when they were first released? Henry Ford has long been attributed as saying "You can have any colour you like, as long as it's black". Back in those days, the motor car was like computers of the 60s, Then we got a little choice and with DOS and the small variation that came with competition.Wwe've now moved into the "tinkering with cars to make them do what we want" stage (sorta like the hot rod era) eventually computers will mature into the product we have as cars are now, then, who knows?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 am
Agreed, however. in the long term, who knows?
I know.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

catweazel wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:52 am
lsemmens wrote:
I know.
:lol:
Fully mint Household
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 am
catweazel wrote:
lsemmens wrote:
I know.
I wasn't pulling your leg. If you're interested, I'll tell you what's going to happen in the long term, and I'll tell you how I know, and if necessary I'll explain the science behind it all.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

catweazel wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:36 am
lsemmens wrote:
catweazel wrote:

I know.
I wasn't pulling your leg. If you're interested, I'll tell you what's going to happen in the long term, and I'll tell you how I know, and if necessary I'll explain the science behind it all.
I would look forward to your answer.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:36 am
I would look forward to your answer.
Me too. :mrgreen: :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 »

Been using mint since 13 / 14 and had been on ubuntu since 10.10 Maverick but they decided to add the dock to the desktop and stop working on Gnome, Mint happened to have mate as a desktop environment which is the same as gnome.2. Mint works out the box unlike a lot of linux distros that have to be configured or need software adding. Mint has been really really stable, does everything i need it to do and the support on the forum is an added bonus if I can't find a solution through google.

I had only used windows for about 9 months in total before i discovered linux, Windows was eating my pc resources and really glitchy. I wasn't overly keen on ubuntu to begin with, windows felt a bit more polished and I like the media player but I only lasted about 2 days back on windows before the constant fan whirring forced me to try again with linux, had glitches with ubuntu but Mint has always been fine so have never felt a need to even look at other distros for now. :)

Eugene D wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:18 pm
My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20 around 1981.
Commodore 16 , played Harbor Attack to death on that thing! :)
eugor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eugor »

I started out tinkering with linux with ubuntu. Found mint around Mint 16 Petra. I felt that it did an awesome job out of the box so to speak of just working right with various hardware items, and with very minimal issues. Less issues,in fact, than I have typically experienced with windows. Even though I work primarily within a windows environment, i spend about 50 % of my time on my home pc's in Mint. My current flavor is 19.1 xfce. I think it works great. I have it loaded on a 10 year old Dell optiplex 360 running a 2d cad program like a charm. I also have it on a lame spec laptop, and it makes it very snappy. Rather than ramble, I should probably pose an answer to the question:
"Why do newcomers stay with Mint? "

I think, if the newcomers to mint are new to linux from a windows operating system, mint provides an installation that is largely hassle free. The mint user environment feels comfortably and similar, yet fresh and customizable. I have found it to be flexible, and encouraging for the exploration of linux. Updates are not annoying, obtrusive, or problematic as windows updates can be.
That is my opinion.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

catweazel wrote:
lsemmens wrote:
catweazel wrote:

I know.
Well Spit it out, there are a few of us interested now. (FWIW - mine was a rhetorical question - many certainly did not predict the computer revolution) My grandfather lived to see man Fly and then Land on the Moon. Not too many would have predicted either of those events.
Fully mint Household
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:01 pm
Well Spit it out, there are a few of us interested now. (FWIW - mine was a rhetorical question - many certainly did not predict the computer revolution) My grandfather lived to see man Fly and then Land on the Moon. Not too many would have predicted either of those events.
Technology tends to reflect what we want to do with our minds. For more than a hundred years, quantum mechanics, or better yet, modern physics, has been telling us that everything is connected, that there is no separation of this from that, and that any separation we perceive is an illusion due to our lack of fine-grained sense perception. For many years, most scientists held that the brain can't possibly be based on quantum mechanics because it is both wet and warm, but in 2014 it was shown by Stuart Hameroff and Sir Roger Penrose to indeed be the case that wet and warm brains are quantum mechanical; as it turns out, nature has been doing quantum mechanics in warm and wet environments for billions of years; photosynthesis is QM, and so are the magnetic navigation abilities of birds. The conjecture now is that consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe and that, from an even deeper level, it underpins the quantum realm; as an aside, this can be demonstrated with a simple thought experiment. If this conjecture is correct then Erwin Schrödinger was right on at least these three counts:

1) "The total number of minds in the Universe is one.”
2) "Consciousness cannot be accounted for in physical terms. For consciousness is absolutely fundamental."
3) "Quantum physics thus reveals the basic oneness of the Universe."

Where science has missed the boat is in studying the scientific evidence for higher states of consciousness. To its loss, it has concentrated only on lowered states of consciousness, such as sleep, anaesthesia and vegetative states. I expect this will change because of what we see in the world today. Masses of people interacting via social media, major social change for the better, virtual reality, so on and so forth.

So, what might the next major human revolution bring? The IoT, or Internet of Thoughts, a cloud/mind interface. An experimental system has already been tested. It enables thought-driven information exchange via the cloud between individual minds. It's name is BrainNet. Beyond that lies the time when we don't need technology to instantly exchange information with someone on the other side of the planet because quantum mechanics tells us that all minds are one, and because technology is merely an extension of the mind. Indeed, technology points in the direction that mind is taking.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

catweazel wrote:
lsemmens wrote:
catweazel wrote:

I know.
catweazel wrote:... So, what might the next major human revolution bring? The IoT, or Internet of Thoughts, a cloud/mind interface. An experimental system has already been tested. It enables thought-driven information exchange via the cloud between individual minds. It's name is BrainNet. Beyond that lies the time when we don't need technology to instantly exchange information with someone on the other side of the planet because quantum mechanics tells us that all minds are one, and because technology is merely an extension of the mind. Indeed, technology points in the direction that mind is taking.
That's utter nonsense.
Delusions of grandeur, also called grandiose delusions, often accompany other mental health symptoms, including other delusions. They may be related to mental or physical health conditions, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or some types of dementia.

People experiencing delusions of grandeur see themselves as great, highly accomplished, more important than others, or even magical. The delusion may be persistent, or it may appear only periodically.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321649.php

We also know that you are on medication(= ephedrine/adrenalin) that messes up your brain. You should think about that.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

michael louwe wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:22 am
That's utter nonsense.
Tell that to Erwin Schrödinger. The ideas that you have failed to understand were his ideas originally.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I always thought that Schrödinger's Cat was the smart one. Certainly, Quantum Physics has the potential to create new ways of thinking. It will be interesting to see where that takes us.
Fully mint Household
[rua]
Level 1
Level 1

Post by [rua] »

I came to Mint from Debian some years ago. I stuck around after I found that fresh Mint already had all the polish I'd spent months adding to Debian, and more; and it worked just as well as Debian. It's easy to use and does everything I need. My favourite OS ever was LMDE 2 Mate.

I'm regular Mint now because I wanted a long service life. I don't have the time or energy now for frequent major upgrades and five years is pretty good. :D Early apprehensions were unfounded, and on the whole I've been as happy with Tessa xfce/Mate as I was with LMDE.
dnl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dnl »

redx87 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:15 am
all41 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 pm
The other side of the coin has been discussed--
so in all fairness the other newcomers should come forward in a discussion of why they chose to stay with Mint,
and did not go running back to anything.
Back in the days of Win XP I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot and it was my introduction to Linux. I enjoyed using the Terminal and learned a hell of lot about it. Then we upgraded to Windows 7 and I didn't get back to re-installing Ubuntu so over the next decade or so I forgot much of my acquired Linux knowledge.

Now that Windows 7 is becoming obsolete I don't want Windows 10 because I refuse to pay out money for an o/s I don't like. I hope to be able to switch to Linux permanently, and it looks like Linux Mint will allow me to do that. In my opinion Mint is great, I love it. It's so easy to install and very user friendly.

I tried several other distros including Ubuntu again but didn't like them because of the way they looked and the trouble I had getting some of my hardware recognised. I hate the way a lot of OS's now are cluttered up with app shortcuts and try to make your pc look more like a mobile phone. I love the way Mint's Cinnanmon desktop looks and performs. It's neat and tidy. Mint also has this great forum to rely on when I need advice, and it just does everything I want it to do. So I'm staying with Linux Mint.
Wow! You came very close to expressing my experience and feelings perfectly. The one thing I would add is that I decided to tolerate no longer Microsoft's insatiable appetite to collect user data AKA spying.

As others have expressed, coming from a Windows background, I found Mint (especially with the Cinnamon desktop) to have a "familiar" GUI.

My initial efforts with Linux many years ago were painful. Installation alone was a major pain because there were no readily available graphics drivers for my machine (a Dell Optiplex). When I finally found a driver, I was able to complete the installation. I remember the day so well. I was elated staring at the terminal screen knowing the installation had finally completed successfully.

Then the realization hit me that I had no clue what to do next. XWindows was not yet installed so all I had was a terminal. I knew DOS very well so I tried to list a directory with "dir". Nope. I tried other DOS commands without success. Of course, almost nothing worked. I couldn't even shutdown the system. I downloaded a few manuals and began learning.

Then as redx87 expressed, I forgot about Linux until just a few years ago.

Fortunately, the installation with Linux Mint was relatively pain free. BUT I cannot say the same about all the other experiences I had learning how to make the system work they way I needed. I knew Windows fairly well but did not (and still don't) know Linux well. Almost every problem entailed a huge amount of learning before finding a solution.

More than once I considered abandoning Mint. I am glad I decided to stick with it.
Scythe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scythe »

I am not an expert, but I am no newcomer. I remember when Slackware was the go to distro, but I have used SUSE, Debian, Arc, Ubuntu, etc, over the years.

Frankly speaking, I just want something that works as a general computer...nothing fancy. Linux Mint does that fantastically.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Purely from the sense that i don't need to move from Linux Mint to another Linux? Well in that sense it is because in particular Mint feels 'familiar' to my years of experience with Windows systems, and it works very well, so why change?

I like things that 'just work' and feel familiar (in life in general) so i really have no reason to change Distro when Mint is as good as it is in this.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Scythe wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:05 pm
I am not an expert, but I am no newcomer. I remember when Slackware was the go to distro, but I have used SUSE, Debian, Arc, Ubuntu, etc, over the years.

Frankly speaking, I just want something that works as a general computer...nothing fancy. Linux Mint does that fantastically.
Exactly!! Mint is for serious work, not fiddling with your OS (although being Linux you can fiddle with it all you like :wink: )

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”