I said good bye to my dual boot system

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

I said good bye to my dual boot system

Post by stephanieswitzer »

I've been dual booting MacOS and Linux Mint on my Mac Mini for almost a year now. Everything has worked well including updates etc. So I thought it was time to ditch MacOS and just go with Mint Tessa, and this too went well.

I created a live USB, plugged it in and booted from the Live USB. Had Mint Install wipe the drive and went with a single boot for Tessa. That took about 15 min. After the install was complete and before I rebooted I opened Timeshift and restored my last snapshot. Next I removed reFInd, and finally rebooted, removed the Live USB and - Yay - Mint is working just as it did yesterday. Sorry MacOS :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I said goog bye to my dual boot system

Post by all41 »

stephanieswitzer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:37 pm I've been dual booting MacOS and Linux Mint on my Mac Mini for almost a year now. Everything has worked well including updates etc. So I thought it was time to ditch MacOS and just go with Mint Tessa, and this too went well.

I created a live USB, plugged it in and booted from the Live USB. Had Mint Install wipe the drive and went with a single boot for Tessa. That took about 15 min. After the install was complete and before I rebooted I opened Timeshift and restored my last snapshot. Next I removed reFInd, and finally rebooted, removed the Live USB and - Yay - Mint is working just as it did yesterday. Sorry MacOS :(
That's not just a baby step--
Congratulations for this decision.
Enjoy
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I said good bye to my dual boot system

Post by rickNS »

Yeah, congratulations.
I've always dual booted from the beginning, but this new SSD drive, has no useless win7 on it.
I admit to using it once in the last 2+ years.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I dual booted for about 2 days and then went Linux all the way, Have no desire to ever go back to WIndows. All we need do now is convince Mr Trimble (or, is that, Google) to port Sketchup to Linux and I would not need any M$ product ever again.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Took that road several years ago and now I am getting ready to uninstall my Windows 10 VM I used to update my Garmin nuvi - that was it. There are so many alternatives to in car navigation these days the Garmin is obsolete, at least in my case.
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

majpooper wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:26 pm Took that road several years ago and now I am getting ready to uninstall my Windows 10 VM I used to update my Garmin nuvi - that was it. There are so many alternatives to in car navigation these days the Garmin is obsolete, at least in my case.
It took me a while to realize that anything that I needed to do on macOS I could do on Linux. Don't get me wrong I think that macOS is a superb OS, but with Mint I'm able to experiment/tinker with the OS whereas in macOS you can't, and hey, all the Mint Apps are free :)
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

stephanieswitzer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 pm
majpooper wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:26 pm Took that road several years ago and now I am getting ready to uninstall my Windows 10 VM I used to update my Garmin nuvi - that was it. There are so many alternatives to in car navigation these days the Garmin is obsolete, at least in my case.
It took me a while to realize that anything that I needed to do on macOS I could do on Linux. Don't get me wrong I think that macOS is a superb OS, but with Mint I'm able to experiment/tinker with the OS whereas in macOS you can't, and hey, all the Mint Apps are free :)
fwiw: Even after converting to Mint it still took a while to fully grasp the Linux freedom ideology and wrap my head around the possibilities. Don't feel alone here.
My biggest hurdle was not learning something new--but dismissing the conventions I was accustomed to.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I too started out with a dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu. Didn't take me long to reload Ubuntu to completely remove Windows from that laptop. Then just yesterday I loaded Mint and got rid of Ubuntu. Yeah, Mint may be based on Ubuntu, but I like the Mint DE better. So far, so good!
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Bought a laptop a couple years ago, it came with Win10. To put it mildly I hated it. All the preloaded bloatware, endless updates and reboots with orange screens telling me "Do Not Shout Down Your Computer While Updates Are Being Installed!". Couldn't use my laptop for anything while this was going on. It was just an expensive brick sitting there, for what seemed to be forever. I ditched windows on my desktop when they stopped support for XP. In order to keep the warranty it had to have the original OS on it in case of some malfunction. Installed Mint 18.1 in a dual boot, had a couple of hiccups, but they were solved with help from Mint forums, viewtopic.php?f=46&t=247678. A big thanks to all who responded! Occasionally I booted into Win10 to see if it still worked, same steer manure as mentioned before. Used my laptop for one year with no problems. After the warranty expired I made a clean Mint install. If I ever need windows I'll do it in VirtualBox. Unfortunately you can't buy a good laptop without paying the "Widows Tax". All the laptops that I would like to buy with Linux installed as the OS are over $1K, anything less then that you have to get one with Win10 and take your chances with voiding the warranty.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”