I'm out of patience.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: I'm out of patience.

Post by KBD47 »

I think more and more lately that people who are being frustrated with Linux need ease into it instead of jumping into the deep end of the pool without learning how to swim. Keep your Windows computer, or at least dual-boot. If you can afford it, get a second hand computer just for Linux. Learn it at your leisure, as a hobby. When you get comfortable with Linux, drop Windows if you want, or just use both--use the best tool for the job.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Pjotr wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:25 am
Look, we can all go on theorizing about theoretical virus threats for Linux Mint, but that's just an academical pastime best left to university professors with nothing better to do. It has no bearing, none at all, on our practical dealings with Linux Mint.

A meaningless waste of time, but not an innocent one: it might create a wrong impression and feed paranoia and FUD. Which in their turn might lead to irrational and harmful behaviour.
I agree - from a practical standpoint when I learned about the security vulnerabilities regarding routers I took steps to mitigate those vulnerabilities. Same with my browser. When it come to my linux mint desk top I follow the security steps in Pjotr's blog to include installing security updates promptly.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html

Pjtor is spot on in that the real harm is in creating an impression that there is a risk when the reality the risk at present concerning infection is nonexistent serves no one's best interests
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

I follow his advice as well, and I am secure and safe.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.quora.com/Is-the-Linux-oper ... -If-so-why
Is the Linux operating system totally free from viruses and malware? If so, why?
33 Answers

Rajan Arun Bhave, studies at B.Tech in Computer Engineering , GHRCEM (2020) - Updated Nov 26 2018

Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?
In a word, "NO."
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

No one here, as far as I know, has said that Linux-based OSses are immune to viruses. Plus, Quora... that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.
So, Michael... instead playing the old and tired game of 'gotcha' and scouring the web for sites that seem to prove you right, which anyone can do and is pretty boring.... why don't you go ahead and tell us your opinion, in your own words, and how you came to that opinion?

Alternatively, go outside and enjoy the weather for a bit, maybe?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

The title of one of Shakespeare's plays comes to mind: "Much Ado About Nothing".

Perhaps some postings in this thread can even more accurately be described by this quote from Shakespeare's Macbeth:
It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I knew there was a reason why I like Shakespeare and MacBeth in particular.
ORDO AB CHAO
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

Posted Feb 21, 2016 19:45 UTC (Sun) by glaubitz

Well, Linux Mint is generally very bad when it comes to security and quality.

First of all, they don't issue any Security Advisories, so their users cannot - unlike users of most other mainstream distributions [1] - quickly lookup whether they are affected by a certain CVE.

Secondly, they are mixing their own binary packages with binary packages from Debian and Ubuntu without rebuilding the latter. This creates something that we in Debian call a "FrankenDebian" which results in system updates becoming unpredictable [2]. With the result, that the Mint developers simply decided to blacklist certain packages from upgrades by default thus putting their users at risk because important security updates may not be installed.

Thirdly, while they import packages from Ubuntu or Debian, they hi-jack package and binary names by re-using existing names. For example, they called their fork of gdm2 "mdm" which supposedly means "Mint Display Manager". However, the problem is that there already is a package "mdm" in Debian which are "Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting". Thus, on Mint, the original "mdm" package cannot be installed.

Another example of such a hi-jack are their new "X apps" which are supposed to deliver common apps for all desktops which are available on Linux Mint. Their first app of this collection is an editor which they forked off the Mate editor "pluma". And they called it "xedit", ignoring the fact that there already is an "xedit" making the old "xedit" unusable by hi-jacking its namespace.
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
https://lwn.net/Articles/676613/ - Linux Mint downloads (briefly) compromised
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

You are confused - the article has nothing to do with the vulnerability of the linux mint desk top but rather a web site. And I believe we already went over that already so we are just going in circles.

Probably time to close this thread.
DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I second the motion to lock this thread.
ORDO AB CHAO
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Or those of us who have lost interest (such as me) can just stop posting in it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
handsomegenius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by handsomegenius »

I actually think it's a lot easier than Windows. It's a clean interface that makes sense.

When I had to go back to Windows, it was impossible to find anything anywhere.. the Start menu is like poking a dead albatross with a stick and the file system is even worse, and then there's like three different control panels, all laid out differently in each version so that none of the tutorials you find on Google even work.
redx87
Level 3
Level 3

Post by redx87 »

GPhilips wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Someone tell me what makes you prefer Linux? Do you hate Windows that badly? Or are you so experienced in Linux that you can actually perform with no errors and quickly?
I don't hate Windows, I just hate Microstuffed. Why do I love Linux? Because it's frrrrreeeeeeeeeeeee! It also keeps the cogs in my old brain turning over because learning new tricks prevents rust.

"I want to be persuaded. Don't take it as an offense, jesus christ, partner."

No need to bring JC into it. He'd have sided with the Linux minority anyway.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

In conclusion, theoretically, desktop Linux is also vulnerable to viruses/malware. But practically, there are no virus/malware targeting desktop Linux. Why.? I believe it's mainly because of desktop Linux's minuscule 2% world market share = nearly all hackers found it not worthwhile to target desktop Linux with their money-making malware/viruses, eg online banking malware. Similarly, most for-profit business-app and AAA-game developers do not support desktop Linux.

Desktop Linux users should keep it this way and never let it be "the year of the Linux desktop", eg by making desktop Linux unappealing and non-user-friendly to newbies = desktop Linux will never be infected by viruses/malware.*sarcasm*
Last edited by michael louwe on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.zdnet.com/article/hacker-hu ... -backdoor/ - Hacker explains how he put "backdoor" in hundreds of Linux Mint downloads. The hacker said their prime motivation for the backdoor was to build a botnet. - Zack Whittaker, February 22, 2016
Because the code is open-source, the hacker said it took them just a few hours to repack a Linux version that contained the backdoor.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... n-and-why/ - Who rooted kernel.org servers two years ago, how did it happen, and why? Maintainers of Linux still haven't delivered promised autopsy of serious breach. - Dan Goodin - 9/24/2013
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... ers-hacked - Linux Foundation servers were hacked. Related to kernel.org compromise. - Lucian Constantin, 12 September 2011
https://thehackernews.com/2016/09/linux ... cking.html - Hacker Who Hacked Official Linux Kernel Website Arrested in Florida - September 03, 2016, Swati Khandelwal
But what made the breach much significant? It's the open-source operating system that's being used by Millions of corporate and government networks worldwide.

Using the Phalanx malware, Austin allegedly installed Ebury – a Trojan designed for Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris hacking – on a number of servers run by the Linux groups, which helped him gain access to the login credentials of people using the servers.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

@michael louwe: how's life in the old echo chamber on the unknown planet you're on? :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYcviXK4rg
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MateoEstradaR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MateoEstradaR »

GPhilips wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm
Linux Mint is draining my patience. I am considering going back to windows. Every little thing takes hours of forum searching and asking! Or even days!

Someone tell me what makes you prefer Linux? Do you hate Windows that badly? Or are you so experienced in Linux that you can actually perform with no errors and quickly?
OpenSource software, i can do whatever i want to the system (Even delete the freaking root directory) Performs great, everything is so much fast (Updates don't even need to restart) Programing on it is just great, and you feel kinda unique because there's no so much people on a same place using linux and you're like the Pro who uses it.
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

The title of this thread says it all, really. Horses and water spring to mind. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

I'm sorry, maybe I rolled "00" (RPG reference)each time I installed Mint, but as far as ANY other Linux distribution goes, with the sole exception of the occasional wifi issue, Mint has been by far the best, easiest, and most complete distro I have ever dealt with. If you have an issue with Mint, you should have tried it back in the "dark ages" where you were constantly told to "RTFM" any time you asked a question.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

MurphCID wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:25 am
If you have an issue with Mint, you should have tried it back in the "dark ages" where you were constantly told to "RTFM" any time you asked a question.
That's actually referred to as the golden age....

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”