I'm out of patience.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GPhilips
Level 1
Level 1

I'm out of patience.

Post by GPhilips »

Linux Mint is draining my patience. I am considering going back to windows. Every little thing takes hours of forum searching and asking! Or even days!

Someone tell me what makes you prefer Linux? Do you hate Windows that badly? Or are you so experienced in Linux that you can actually perform with no errors and quickly?
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to "Chat about Linux Mint", because no help is requested, no problem reported.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I'm out of patience.

Post by deepakdeshp »

GPhilips wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm Linux Mint is draining my patience. I am considering going back to windows. Every little thing takes hours of forum searching and asking! Or even days!

Someone tell me what makes you prefer Linux? Do you hate Windows that badly? Or are you so experienced in Linux that you can actually perform with no errors and quickly?
I simply like Linux because its virus free , runs faster and does not run slower as the time goes by.it is free. You will have initial teething trouble and once thats done with you will thank yourself with persisting with Linux.
Do you mean to say that you got much quicker help from Windows forums?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
GPhilips
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GPhilips »

Partner I've been using Linux for like some 2 years. I don't think the trouble will be gone. For that to happen It would probably take thousands of hours of painful Linux studies. There is just soo much more software for windows. I don't even know why I'm using Linux. Why should I stick to it?? Give me a reason.. Thanks.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Please remember: Linux <> Windows. Unless you're going to be more specific on your issues, your OP sounds like troll-bait.

I think anyone who's honest will admit that Linux has a steeper learning curve than Windows. While I hope you stick it out, it's not worth losing sleep over.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

oh, i been plenty pissed off at linux and plenty pissed off at windows. i just love searching the google for an answer to my 2019 linux and find results posted back in 2009 or even earlier. what i love even more is searching mint forums and getting
keyword results instead of thread title results. since most of the times the issue is in the title, by default the forums will not even search the title.

you shouldn't stick with linux. did you know mac and windows got their idea for dark themes from linux? did you know mac got their window effects idea from compiz? did you know windows and mac and android is now adopting redshift idea from linux?

linux sucks and i can attest to that. and so does mac and windows. so does android and the iphones. in fact this whole world sucks. one of these days i'm gonna leave it all behind and go to africa where i can live butt-naked on a zebra.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

trytip wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 am one of these days i'm gonna leave it all behind and go to africa where i can live butt-naked on a zebra.
Thanks - a visual I did not need! :P
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:19 am Thanks - a visual I did not need! :P
phew, i'm glad he didn't say impala
Last edited by trytip on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

https://forums.windowscentral.com/windo ... i-fix.html

And you think that Linux has troubles,....
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

GPhilips wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 am Partner I've been using Linux for like some 2 years. I don't think the trouble will be gone. For that to happen It would probably take thousands of hours of painful Linux studies. There is just soo much more software for windows. I don't even know why I'm using Linux. Why should I stick to it?? Give me a reason.. Thanks.
Why do I need to persuade you to use Linux? You don't owe me anything. If you leave Linux ,it will be your loss, not mine.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it does seem that I've had more than my fair share of Fixing Windows System issues.
8)
that's most likely, why folks do give me their PCs to Fix - - I've got an Good Success rate.
:mrgreen:
where-as most of my Linux PCs are Trouble Free - - I've got modest needs, so that's most likely why.
- - But, & there is an But - - most are Trouble Free - - on any New Machine, that I'm Not Familiar with:
there some-times something, that is an curly issue - - Audio, on the Last Installation, & VirtualBox on the previous one.
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

It's funny because back in the old days when I was first learning linux it took less time to learn things than it took windows 3.1 always crashing and rebooting.

So now with Windows 10 it's the same thing except the reboots now are due to all the updates.

And these days I know enough linux to make it do what I want and it's still as stable as ever plus it is so fast that it's timesaver, so Windows 10 would be more wasteful to my time, just factor in the reboot/updates and how clunky and slow it is compared to linux.

And I also agree with the other poster. We don't need to convince you to stay with linux, if you don't it's your loss.

I only posted because I enjoy pointing out how much worse Windows is.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I've been toying with Linux for nearly 20 years now, and most of that time found it just as frustrating to use as Windows. But now, I've been using Linux full time at home for about 3 years. Still have to use Windows (10) most every day at work, and as just a simple user, there doesn't seem to be much difference. My major gripe with Windows 10 is when an update fails to complete during the night, and I come into work the next morning and cannot use my computer for a hour or so while the update completes and the machine reboots.

Where I find Linux really shines is when setting up a new system. I can install Linux and begin working with familiar software in about 20 minutes, whereas on Windows machines, after a 20 minutes plus install time, I then have to spend hours searching for device drivers and then software to install before I can become productive. All that's less of a problem with Windows 10 than with any other Windows version I have used, but it's still an issue even today.

So bottom line, I use both without much complaint, but if I had to choose only one it would be Linux.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

GPhilips wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm Linux Mint is draining my patience. I am considering going back to windows. Every little thing takes hours of forum searching and asking! Or even days!

What kind of things are you trying to do that is so hard :?: After dealing with Windows servers for 20 years I've had ENUFF of Windows

Are you using 19.1? I gave up on 19.1 but it is due to my older computers and not Linux coding
leo-tech

Post by leo-tech »

Linux Mint is draining my patience. I am considering going back to windows...
It may be so, but did you ever consider getting the best of both worlds? I can't see why you can only apply logic OR here (choose either Linux OR Windows), when you can also apply logic AND instead (use both Linux AND Windows on the same machine simultaneously). I am not a big fan of dual-boot (also it goes against the logic AND), so I would recommend you to try virtualization (Linux as Host OS and Windows as Guest OS).
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@leo-tech, I love your post, best of both!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
GPhilips
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GPhilips »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 am
GPhilips wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 am Partner I've been using Linux for like some 2 years. I don't think the trouble will be gone. For that to happen It would probably take thousands of hours of painful Linux studies. There is just soo much more software for windows. I don't even know why I'm using Linux. Why should I stick to it?? Give me a reason.. Thanks.
Why do I need to persuade you to use Linux? You don't owe me anything. If you leave Linux ,it will be your loss, not mine.
I want to be persuaded. Don't take it as an offense, jesus christ, partner.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

GPhilips wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:02 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 am
I want to be persuaded. Don't take it as an offense, jesus christ, partner.
If you have been using linux for two years and really prefer Windows then I doubt that anyone will be able to persuade you not to go back to Windows and leave linux. And even more, with no disrespect intended, no one really feels inclined to want to persuade you.

Last - taking the Lord's name in vain is offensive, at least it is to me, and certainly not appropriate or in keeping with the respectfulness that we extend to each other on this forum.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

GPhilips wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pmSomeone tell me what makes you prefer Linux?
I prefer Linux because it's usually packaged as a complete operating system that I can install and use in a few minutes. Can't do that with Windows. A fresh Windows install takes a lot of time searching for and installing drivers and software before I can get any work done. I have spent days setting up a Windows system before.
GPhilips wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm Do you hate Windows that badly?
No, I don't hate Windows. I use Windows every day at work, and in a VM at home on my Linux Mint machine.
GPhilips wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm Or are you so experienced in Linux that you can actually perform with no errors and quickly?
Not at all! Doesn't matter whether I'm in Windows or Linux of some sort, if I run into problems I have to search the WWW for answers, and follow directions to work it out. I guess that because of the shear number of Windows users out there, answers to Windows questions might be a little easier to find, but so far, I've not had any real trouble solving any issue I've come across with either OS. I struggled with Windows when I first started using version 3.11 a few years ago, and I struggled with Linux for several years, because I expected Linux to work the way I was used to. Then I finally decided to use Linux on a day-to-day basis, and once I learned to just use Linux the problems disappeared. Now I sometimes get frustrated because it's not as easy to do some things in Windows as I'm now used to doing in Linux.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pepi wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:08 am What kind of things are you trying to do that is so hard :?:
I'm wondering, too. For a standard user, doing standard things, Linux Mint is not harder than Windows 7, just slightly different. I have installed it for non-power users in my family and they manage just fine. So what are the little things that are so hard to do? Maybe you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to do things the Windows way. Maybe we can help, if you'll let us.

I prefer Linux because I feel free to choose my own OS, in the way that I want to use it. I'm not being forced to move over to the latest and greatest. I can change pretty much every little thing about it (some things take more fiddling but it's almost always possible). If I want to do something that is not a good idea, I can still do it: it's my computer, I can mess it up if I want to. And if I take some precautions, it's fast and easy to restore.

I did not hate Windows 7 but I hated the way MS tried to push Win 10 on everyone. I dislike the way it looks, and that they are moving towards a subscription model. And most of all, I hate the telemetry (that's also been backported to Win7).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
bristleworm

Post by bristleworm »

GPhilips wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm Someone tell me what makes you prefer Linux? Do you hate Windows that badly? Or are you so experienced in Linux that you can actually perform with no errors and quickly?
I think it depends a lot on what kind of person you are and how you interact with a computer. I'm an IT guy and I'm interested in understanding how hardware and software works, so open source is way more interesting to me. In addition, I prefer Unix like systems like Linux and macOS because I can understand the underlying design. Windows on the other hand in many cases doesn't make much sense to me.

If you're "just" a user, Windows can be fine as well and it might be the best way to stick with what you know. That depends on how much you're willing to invest in learning.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”