Would a launcher like DASH be welcomed?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Would a launcher like DASH be welcomed?

Post by That Random Guy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:38 pm

What is this:
cinnamon
gtk windows
merge appsys and cmenus
ditch docinfo
I found that under LM 19.2 section. By chance, would they have anything to do with those search providers?

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:17 pm

Something like this would appeal to touchscreen users.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:03 am

That Random Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:38 pm

What is this:
cinnamon
gtk windows
merge appsys and cmenus
ditch docinfo
I found that under LM 19.2 section. By chance, would they have anything to do with those search providers?
Don't think so, at least not directly

GTK windows I think probably refers to moving to the GTK (controls) theme providing window decoration for all windows, rather than having a separate Metacity (Window Borders) theme for some but not all windows.

The Appsys / Cmenu / Docinfo stuff might be partially relevant as I think this relates to how Cinnamon keeping track of windows and recent documents. I might be wrong.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:14 am

This is exactly the sort of user interface paradigm that Cinnamon is deliberately designed to avoid.

Basically, it's a tablet-optimized UI bring grafted onto a desktop computer UI.

As others here have previously said, if you want that, go use Gnome 3.x.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Ubuntu 19.10 on a MBP 8,1 and dreaming about my return to Linux Mint.

Also looking for a new job.

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:23 am

That Random Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:47 pm
tenfoot wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:27 am
As I use LM19.1 Mate this probably doesn't apply to me. However, here are my comments, for what they are worth.

I have tried all the current docks (launchers) to give me a visible representation of programs and, although I feel they have their purpose, they are just not for me. - invariably too much "clutter". So I opted to take the "invisible" route and currently control all applications by keyboard shortcuts. Together with those already available on installation and those I have created myself, these total 29. And no, I do not have any difficulty remembering them :)
Mate, you are a super-duper power-user. Much respect. :lol:
Not me. I'm just a lazy old geriatric, rapidly reaching the "double eights". Sixteen of the keyboard shortcuts use key combinations already provided on the keyboard, e.g. Mail, Web browser, all Audio controls, calculator, etc. In reality, I have only created 13 and all of them follow the pattern of mode4+<first letter of the program I want to launch> e.g. to launch Libre Office I press mode+o and for KMyMoney it is mode4+k. Where the first letter of the program has already been allocated I use an easily remembered substitute, e.g. for taking a screenshots I use mode4+p (photo).

The mode4 key is alsoy known as the Windows key - just in case you've never heard it referred to as mode4.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by That Random Guy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 am

Portreve wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:14 am
This is exactly the sort of user interface paradigm that Cinnamon is deliberately designed to avoid.

Basically, it's a tablet-optimized UI bring grafted onto a desktop computer UI.

As others here have previously said, if you want that, go use Gnome 3.x.
I think that line of thinking would justify other DEs from utilizing a launcher (not completely) but it wouldn't pan out for other/all OSs from having this feature.

Windows 10 doesn't have the charms menu anymore but retains that ability to index things aside from apps. I'm also going to assume that most Linux users aren't using Linux on tablets—which would suggest that the introduction of a launcher to the DE is being used by some people, even on desktops/laptops.

Again, while I think the ideal would be a launcher, also introducing this kinda of feature to the already existing search utility or even an extension would be cool.

I don't bother with Gnome for reason I'd rather not bore you with, but let's just say that's not an option for me. :)
Last edited by That Random Guy on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by That Random Guy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:20 am

tenfoot wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:23 am
That Random Guy wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:47 pm
tenfoot wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:27 am
As I use LM19.1 Mate this probably doesn't apply to me. However, here are my comments, for what they are worth.

I have tried all the current docks (launchers) to give me a visible representation of programs and, although I feel they have their purpose, they are just not for me. - invariably too much "clutter". So I opted to take the "invisible" route and currently control all applications by keyboard shortcuts. Together with those already available on installation and those I have created myself, these total 29. And no, I do not have any difficulty remembering them :)
Mate, you are a super-duper power-user. Much respect. :lol:
Not me. I'm just a lazy old geriatric, rapidly reaching the "double eights". Sixteen of the keyboard shortcuts use key combinations already provided on the keyboard, e.g. Mail, Web browser, all Audio controls, calculator, etc. In reality, I have only created 13 and all of them follow the pattern of mode4+<first letter of the program I want to launch> e.g. to launch Libre Office I press mode+o and for KMyMoney it is mode4+k. Where the first letter of the program has already been allocated I use an easily remembered substitute, e.g. for taking a screenshots I use mode4+p (photo).

The mode4 key is alsoy known as the Windows key - just in case you've never heard it referred to as mode4.
You think you're lazy? Mate, I don't even want to commit to what you've described even though I find it much more convenient and efficient.

Pretty sure I'm the lazy one of the two of us. :lol:

I have seen the "Windows key" go under different names. I wasn't aware of 'mode4+p'.

nullsteph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nullsteph » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 pm

Yes but not like Dash. Dash darkens all screens which is jarring especially with multiple monitors. Something like KRunner or Mac's Spotlight would be great. Even better, it should focus existing windows else default to opening a new one. Being able to hop around between windows without a mouse is a dream of mine and I've only been able achieve this on Windows using AutoHotKey. The other feature it should do which Mint doesn't, is default to selecting the most frequently used app, not just the first in the list.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”