How Will Custom Startmenus Be Affected?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrGrimm

How Will Custom Startmenus Be Affected?

Post by MrGrimm »

was just reading the following about mint 19.2 on:

"In terms of performance, there are several utilities that will be refined but notably, the development team is thinking about replacing the “All applications” category in the menu with a category that would show recently used and newly installed applications. This will help the menu load more quickly."

https://www.neowin.net/news/linux-mint- ... h-screens/

and i'd like to know how or if those startmenu changes are going to affect those of us running custom startmenus. i have been using cinnviistarkmenu since at least december and do find it far better than the default cinnamon startmenu.

https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/281
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How Will Custom Startmenus Be Affected?

Post by Portreve »

Some applications do not show up in any particular category and can only be found under "All Applications".
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Portreve wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:05 am Some applications do not show up in any particular category and can only be found under "All Applications".
Can you give an example?

@MrGrimm - I'd be very surprised this proposed change had any explicit impact on the other menu applets. I'd also be surprised in the other applet devs just followed suit. More likely in my opinion if they do anything it will be that they might add an option to have a recent apps 'category' as-well or instead of the all applications category.

None of the menus do anything very clever to populate the All Applications category anyway they just parse all the .desktop files ignoring the Category set in the .desktop file.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

smurphos wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:44 am
Portreve wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:05 am Some applications do not show up in any particular category and can only be found under "All Applications".
Can you give an example?
I think I may have not stated that as well as I should.

What I meant is that sometimes programs that are just installed do not show up immediately and have to be searched for. Sometimes, programs will not register and will not be found until you log out and log back in.

In actuality, the root cause of that behavior should be addressed and fixed. That isn't something that not having an "All Programs" category will impact.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I hope they don't remove the All Applications category, I tend to use it quite a bit.

As far as loading the menu faster, at least on mate, after the first launch it seems pretty instant to me.

One of my favorite things about Mint (esp. Mate) is the well organized menu.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

one of the reasons i settled on mint cinnamon was it's startmenu versus others startmenus. a lot of distros had ok starmenus then turned around an install what looks like crap to me.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”