Open post to Linux Mint Admins (Solved?)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Open post to Linux Mint Admins (Solved?)

Post by farkas »

I'm not sure to whom I should address this post to.
Perhaps they are hagey, proxima_centaury and xenopeek.
This might be even the wrong forum.
I still consider myself as a newbie. I joined Mint forums in 2015.
Still have more questions than answers.
While searching for solutions to my to problems, I first looked at posts that were marked as (Solved), then looked at others that were similar to mine.
There were a lot of those that said it was solved in their last post, with thanks, but not edited to (Solved). Some of those that had a solution I could have used. It'd would have saved a lot of time searching for a solution. I wouldn't have made some posts. Saving responders their time and effort for replies. I thank them all.
I suppose not everyone reads through, Forum Rules, Guidelines, and Policy, after joining Mint forums. (Guilty). I know, I'm one of them. I made some mistakes and I apologize.
I understand that forum moderators don't have the time to and check all posts for guide line policies, shouldn't have to.
Maybe there is a gentle way to persuade and/or remind users to do so?
My suggestion is to add another line to "Announcements" reminding posters to do so.
Last edited by farkas on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Open post to Linux Mint Admins

Post by lsemmens »

Not such a silly idea. Maybe admin could include a "solved" button next to the "Submit" button.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Gruppo Sportivo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Which software version phBB and PHP is used,there's an Topic Solved extension available
phpBB Topic Solved extension
Requirements:
PHP 5.3.10+
phpBB 3.1.3+

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

it's true that lots of DrGoogle searches on 'some issue' will often lead up an dead-alleyway.
:(
that's just the nature of the Internet, more than anything.

there is an Technique to actually search for an specific issue on an specific forum,,
& it is dependant on the way that you engage with DrGoogle et al

and I've been down this very alleyway, myself, when searching for some specific Linux related hardware issue.
:roll:

in order to change the forum's software version of phBB, would require some input,
from either the Site Owner and/or the Forum Administration Staff.

the current manual work-around, has been listed by several forum members,
- like myself & in our forum signature.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

I think some posts aren't mark solved because of either a) indifference; or b) just plain laziness.

EDIT
I have to add c) forgetfulness. I went back over some of my posts and found about 3 I had to add [SOLVED] to. :oops:

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

We've looked at this before. Most users make only 2 or 3 posts and don't return to the forum—if al all—till they need some help again down the line. We don't think adding buttons or adding more reminders about forum guidelines is going to make a difference for most users. We've tried some things over the years.
Gruppo Sportivo wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 am
there's an Topic Solved extension available
phpBB Topic Solved extension
Thanks for the suggestion, we've also looked at this one before. Doesn't work with our version and I don't think it's very intuitive. See screenshots at https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ic_solved/.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:44 pm
Doesn't work with our version and I don't think it's very intuitive. See screenshots at https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ic_solved/.
What ancient version are we using? Anyway, looks fine to me, screenshots say you can even configure it to show [SOLVED] as text instead of that icon, so it would be pretty much the same as now without even having to modify it (which would be trivial).

I think it would be more useful for mods like Moem who go around a lot marking threads as solved for new users.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”