Terminal Commands Reference

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noobloo

Terminal Commands Reference

Post by noobloo »

I'm still pretty new to the Linux world, and don't know much about the terminal (yet). One thing I do know is that it is very powerful and you can probably do much more with that than most of the GUI utilities.

I don't think I'm ready to do a full study on the thing, so I have created a personal note file that I can just add some commands and related info as I come across tasks I want to do or problems that I need to solve. It's a handy quick reference.

Just thought I'd share as it might be helpful to others that are also new to the game :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Terminal Commands Reference

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have something similar, and I find that TreeLine is well suited for the task because similar commands can be grouped, and the information is entered into user-defined fields.
http://treeline.bellz.org/index.html
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
noobloo

Post by noobloo »

That looks pretty cool - will have to give it a try. I used to use a similar app called Treepad. They have a version for Linux, but I don't know if it's any good.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

noobloo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:21 am That looks pretty cool - will have to give it a try. I used to use a similar app called Treepad. They have a version for Linux, but I don't know if it's any good.
Treepad and TreeLine look very similar in form and function. The Linux "version" of Treepad is not a native Linux application - it is a Windows application that is compatible with Wine. I recommend giving Treepad a pass. TreeLine will serve you well.
noobloo

Post by noobloo »

I already have Treeline installed :) I try not to mess with wine stuff - haven't got it to work yet.
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:06 am I have something similar, and I find that TreeLine is well suited for the task because similar commands can be grouped, and the information is entered into user-defined fields.
@BenTrabetere - Saw your recommendation & have just tried TreeLine. It's excellent - Thank you

Edit: Now using it for Code-snippets - it's better than my original !
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:06 am I have something similar, and I find that TreeLine is well suited for the task because similar commands can be grouped, and the information is entered into user-defined fields.
I use CherryTree but that looks good ... in fact I just installed it from the repos.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 am I use CherryTree but that looks good ... in fact I just installed it from the repos.
I use both CherryTree and TreeLine. I use CherryTree for most of my note taking. I use TreeLine when my notes will benefit from the additional structure and consistency.

For example, the template (Item Type) for my terminal command notes has fields for the name of the command, the syntax the command uses, a description of the command, the options, examples of the command use (I have three fields for this), and a field for notes.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”