Subscription service?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Usernameemanresu
Level 1
Level 1

Subscription service?

Post by Usernameemanresu »

One way the development of Mint could be ensured for the foreseeable future is if Mint went the way of Red Hat but with the desktop instead of the server: use a subscription model. I think people would pay even up to $50/yr for proper support. Mint already has a professional look and feel thanks to the hard work of the team. "Mint" would be the official release, and (like RH) there could be a Cmint (community Mint) release without any support.

Of course that would require the installation of a support team which might require some startup capital, but there have to be some VC people willing to invest in something like this.

Has the team ever considered this?

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Subscription service?

Post by AZgl1500 »

bad idea...
and I would be gone in a heart beat.

I make donations to the team, and I like the way they do things.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 pm
bad idea...
and I would be gone in a heart beat.

I make donations to the team, and I like the way they do things.
Why a bad idea? After all RHEL runs this model very successfuly
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm
That is largely because the only way to sell the pointy-haired middle-manager on non-maximally safely downtrodden infrastructure is to have it look superficially like just an alternative to a purchase from Microsoft. Home users tend to have fewer pointy-haired middle-managers to deal with...

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

rene wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:30 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 pm
That is largely because the only way to sell the pointy-haired middle-manager on non-maximally safely downtrodden infrastructure is to have it look superficially like just an alternative to a purchase from Microsoft. Home users tend to have fewer pointy-haired middle-managers to deal with...
Home users can opt for the Centos or Fedora equivalent of Mint. In an enterprise, they would feel happier if they have an optional subscription service IMO
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

That plan however runs afoul of Linux Mint being a desktop OS without a server edition. Sure, using/administering say Ubuntu server from Mint works but why would said enterprise not just use Ubuntu on the desktops as well? Having there be a server edition runs afoul of such not being Mint's forté, and targetting "enterprises" with only desktop needs of Linux on the desktop blowing general goats.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

What's the first thing people think of when the hear Subscription...Micro$oft Image we're so much better than that. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

Are you really? What OS have you released? Can't wait to try it :)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

One of the first Linux distros i used was Xandros, which didn't have a subscription service, but they charged 89 dollars (IIRC) to buy each new version. It worked very well, and I was willing to spend the money. But I probably wouldn't be interested in a subscription support service when there is so much free support available on the forums and one the web. Also because Linux in general doesn't need much support.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

For those of us on a pension, we'd be rapidly looking elsewhere for our software fix. It's bad enough having to pay for the likes of M$ orifice but now that they have set it up as a subscription I can see more people willling to investigate the alternatives. Good for Linux!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

No. Absolutely not. Subscriptions are a financial burden to people like me. People on fixed income (retired, disability, etc), and people who make very little money (students, minimum wage workers, part-time workers, etc), would be priced right out of using Mint (or any other software that is subscription-based). I understand this hypothetical subscription would go towards helping the Mint team keep going, and I appreciate the idea. But the reality is that a lot of people would have to leave. I won't use a subscription service. I can occasionally pay a certain amount to buy a product, but I can't fork out X amount of money every single month. I have household bills to pay, medical bills, my car needs gas & insurance, and I live in a very expensive area (where all the jobs are) with a high cost of living while making very little money. Shelling out for a subscription would be just that much more I have to pay just to survive. I am not the only one in this situation.

I don't even have Netflix (cheap subscription) or cable tv (expensive service @ $100+ for Basic), man.....
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, Nvidia GTX1080, Mint 19.1 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

Usernameemanresu wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:35 pm
One way the development of Mint could be ensured for the foreseeable future is if Mint went the way of Red Hat but with the desktop instead of the server: use a subscription model. I think people would pay even up to $50/yr for proper support
I think it's better for a Linux distro to compete directly against M$-Windows by similarly offering OEM (preinstalled) Linux licenses at about US$10 each and Retail (self-install) Linux licenses at about US$50 each.
....... But before that can happen, the Linux distro has to be developed further to be as good as Windows, ie user-friendly and well-supported by hardware OEMs and program developers, eg desktop Linux does not have a GUI-based System Imaging program like Macrium Reflect Free/Aomei Partition Assistant, DVD-burning programs can be hit or miss and Broadcom Wifi adapters do not work out-of-the-box. To do this will need a large initial capital investment, eg to pay the Macrium Reflect Free developers and Broadcom owners to support the Linux distro. This may be beyond the financial capacity of the Linux Mint team but not for a wealthy tech giant like Google or Amazon or IBM.

Consumer Win 10 Home & Pro are not yet subscription-based. So, it would be foolish of the Linux distro to jump straight into subscriptions of US$50 per year. Maybe, both the licensing and subscription models can be offered as a choice to the consumers.

Most enterprises who use Windows Enterprise are already on long term leases with Software Assurance or on subscriptions. So, it is normal for Red Hat Ent Linux and Suse Ent Linux to offer the annual subscription model to the enterprises for 24/7 tech support.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Paid support? Who would be supplying this support? Would those people not require payment? If that has to come out of 50$ a year per installation, it can't be much.
Personally I would never pay for Mint when there are so many free distros available. I would probably do fine with Ubuntu Mate or something like that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

If Linux went subscription based, I'd suggest that many users would just return to Windwoes.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't think many users realize how restrictive RHEL is. Just one example, the only DEs offered are Gnome Fallback (not even Gnome 3) or KDE. That's the other price for paid support.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Paid support means the supporter has to follow an sla while community support means there may not be any response to your query. Nobody is accountable.

Who or which group of people is accountable for Mint support BTW
Regards,
Deepak

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm
No one. It's volunteer support; give or accept help at your own risk.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Moem wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:43 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Enterprises won't want the uncertain voluntary support.
My opinion is that Mint first has to get popular in the enterprises by offering voluntary support
Regards,
Deepak

MoreLinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoreLinux »

Usernameemanresu wrote:
... use a subscription model ...
I would be gone. I love Mint and I donate to the project. I do this out of free will, because I think Clem and the team deserves my support.
Usernameemanresu wrote:
... I think people would pay even up to $50/yr for proper support.
As a 5 day old forum member how can you speak for the people?

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 pm
Moem wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:43 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Enterprises won't want the uncertain voluntary support.
My opinion is that Mint first has to get popular in the enterprises by offering voluntary support
There is mainstream support, extended support and tech support.

Eg M$ provides free 5-year mainstream support and then another free 5-year extended support for non-free Windows Home, Pro & Ent(= paid licenses). Mainstream support = optional updates, security updates and feature updates. Extended support = only security updates. After the 10-year EOL, M$ may offer paid extended support to enterprise-users for another 3 years.
....... AFAIK, M$ only provides token free online or remote tech support to Windows users and does not provide the tech support where staff are sent to clients' business location when needed. Hence, enterprises have to hire their own Windows IT Admins for inhouse tech support, eg to do troubleshooting when a Windows computer breaks down.

AFAIK, Red Hat Inc provides paid 5-year mainstream, then 5-year extended support and 10-year tech support for RHEL via renewable annual/quarterly subscriptions = Red Hat staff will be sent to the clients' business location when serious tech support is needed; otherwise it's online or remote tech support. Hence, enterprises can make do without hiring any Linux IT Admin for inhouse tech support.

Free Linux Mint LTS edition provides free mainstream and extended support for 5 years. The LM forum provides free online tech support by LM developers and the community volunteers. LM does not provide online remote or on-site tech support.

After the free 5-year EOL of the Ubuntu LTS edition, the Ubuntu Advantage program provides paid extended and full tech support(= online or on-site) to enterprise-users for another 5 years via subscriptions, similar to Red Hat Ent Linux.
Last edited by michael louwe on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”