I wanted to love Mint but....

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Solo88
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to love Mint but....

Post by Solo88 »

Been using it extensively for the past almost year and although I'll never go back to Windows Mint had some terrible bugs that made it terrible to use. The biggest bug was in Nemo. I've scoured the net to find that years of Nemo freezing has yet to be met with an answer that solves it. Nobody seems to know what causes it but it seems to be widespread. It got to the point that I had to restart my computer about 8 times a day just to open an mp3 file on my desktop! Another bug was the thumbnails not loading. Again, related to Nemo. I recently switched to Kubuntu and Dolphin is a freakin' beast. It is 100% seamless and super super fast. I loved Mint at first but she really tap-danced on my last patient nerve.....and I'm a patient person! Thanks for all the efforts to help!

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: I wanted to love Mint but....

Post by Flemur »

Solo88 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:34 am
I've scoured the net to find that years of Nemo freezing has yet to be met with an answer that solves it.
Here's an answer that solves it: "Use a different file browser." You don't have to change distros to do that.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

OtterGauze
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OtterGauze »

Flemur wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:38 am
Solo88 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:34 am
I've scoured the net to find that years of Nemo freezing has yet to be met with an answer that solves it.
Here's an answer that solves it: "Use a different file browser." You don't have to change distros to do that.
Agreed. When it comes to distributions, it may come with a packaged collection of software, but you don't NEED to use that software. That's what I like about Linux as a whole, it's so malleable to your specific needs.
Your local otter enthusiast.
OtterGauze#8063 / /id/ottergauze/
Linux Mint 19 - Cinnamon

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

I've been using Nemo since 2015 I think. Now on multiple computers in my house and at work. No bugs or freezing encountered here. Perhaps thats the issue. If you are the only one experiencing a problem (No its not "wide spread"), not much motivation to find a fix. I did have to learn a bit about Samba support but now moot.

But if it indeed doesn't work for you, why not Dolphin etc? Don't hate a distro just because one program isn't working for you
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

oldgranola wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:25 am
But if it indeed doesn't work for you, why not Dolphin etc? Don't hate a distro just because one program isn't working for you
Setting aside the idea that the claim to set aside Mint for that reason is an excuse, and setting aside that the OP's posts don't seem to mention nemo freezing at all (though I may be wrong, not having read every single post, only the subject lines), nemo should not freeze, and if it does freeze then there's something wrong in the OS or DE, and possibly even a hardware fault that only makes itself apparent when using nemo.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Scythe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Scythe »

I have to agree with the others....you don't HAVE to use Nemo. Try something else. However, blaming Mint on your issues seems petty. There is something in your configuration (computer hardware, other software, etc.).

Try installing a different file manager and see how that works for you. You may find you switch and have the same issues with Nemo with another distro.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”