Your fallback option in case Mint ever disappeared

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Your fallback option in case Mint ever disappeared

Post by mediclaser » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:00 pm

"It is important for Linux Mint to continue to support LMDE as a fallback option in case Ubuntu ever disappeared"

Many of you are familiar with the above quote. But as users-only of Linux (non-developers) what would be your fallback Linux distro if Linux Mint is to disappear? What if the Mint team eventually gets demotivated/discouraged and forget how good LM really is?

It's hard for me to find another distro with similar capability or ease of use as Linux Mint. If I was as good as the more experienced users here, I would probably be able to pick any distro without problem. But my intended use, present knowledge, and preferences affect which one works for me.

I understand I may have to give up features I like in Mint which may not be present in other distros. But I have totally eliminated certain distros from my list. For example, I would not pick a rolling release type, because I don't want to spend time troubleshooting/fixing issues and breakage caused by things not fully tested. Also, I would not pick a distro that depends on a one-man team. And if I would doubt Ubuntu's future, I would also question Debian's future. This means my fallback distro must not be based on Debian (honestly, I need somebody to assure me Debian will be in good hands).

Considering the things mentioned above, I'm trying to learn distros like openSUSE (Leap). Man, I sure have to learn new things and do things differently using that one.

How about you guys? What would be your fallback distro? And what would be your criteria for choosing one?
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

OtterGauze
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Your fallback option in case Mint ever disappeared

Post by OtterGauze » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:51 pm

Since Linux Mint is Ubuntu-Based, if LM was to disappear but Ubuntu remained, I would probably switch to another Ubuntu-based distribution, such as Linux Lite. If Ubuntu was to fall apart (for whatever reason), LMDE would always be there. If

Infact, Linux Lite is my go-to distribution for low-powered machines and old laptops. Mint is nice, but isn't configured specifically for low-end systems out of the box. It does decently well on them, though.

Overall,
Ubuntu Dies -> LMDE
Linux Mint as a whole Dies -> Linux Lite
Linux Lite isn't an option -> Debian or just plain Ubuntu

I'm actually torn on LL and LM, I like them both very much.
Your local otter enthusiast.
OtterGauze#8063 / /id/ottergauze/
Linux Mint 19 - Cinnamon

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm

that's an extremely unlikely scenario - the LinuxMint Project is now one of the Major Linux Systems.
but, I'd suppose, never say never, and there is an whole slew of nice Linux Systems out there.

you should always be across an few of them - just in case.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 pm

I'm sure you could find a distro here :wink:
ImageImage

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:27 pm

mediclaser wrote:
And if I would doubt Ubuntu's future, I would also question Debian's future. This means my fallback distro must not be based on Debian (honestly, I need somebody to assure me Debian will be in good hands).
If that must be the case, I would suggest PCLinuxOS. If that wasn't the case, I'd suggest Devuan (or an offshoot of Devuan, like Refracta or Exe GNU/Linux).

But the chances that all three, Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian, would go away is probably as close to zero as you can get.

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:38 pm

I certainly hope Mint lives on in all of its flavors. And I don't think Debian is going any place. I've been evaluating MX Linux and I am impressed by it. I think it is useful in some situations that Mint can't handle. So for now MX Linux is my fall back distro.

Bill

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:20 pm

I don't think Mint is going anywhere, even if Ubuntu does something dumb. LMDE is the backup plan, and it's based on Debian which will survive the apocalypse :wink:
MX, Debian, and LMDE are my 3 favorite distros and I expect them all to outlast me :)

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:43 am

Not another one of these silly Threads Image being number one...Mint's not going anywhere. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:09 pm

I'd probably use Ubuntu MATE for my laptop. Debian stable or Arch on my desktop, just depends on how adventurous I'd feel. :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:23 pm

I've tried most of Ubuntu's offerings (plus many others) over the years and the one I'd felt most comfortable with was XFCE. Not as pretty as Mint Cinnamon but stable and easy to use.
“Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.” 
― Jean-Paul Sartre

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:12 am

I'm not sure why you would include Debian here, as it is not only one of the biggest and most broadly-supported distros, it is also one of the oldest, and is in fact the source for many things across the GNU+Linux world as well as the ultimate source for many distros themselves.

It's like RedHat in pretty much all of those respects, BTW.

I have no backup plan in that eventuality. Maybe I'll switch to something else, or maybe by that point I'll no longer be using a computer. Or, perhaps by then I'll be dead and I won't care what people do or what happens.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:45 am

My fallback option would just be the latest Mint release before the project ended. I would just stay on an older version of Mint. :)

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:20 am

Time was when people had to compile and link your own programs. I doubt that we'll ever need to return to those days. If Mint were to disappear from the landscape, there would be another replacement. If M$ or bits of fruit disappeared the other would probably take over. Who remembers CP/M? There are more than a couple of alternates these days, so it's unlikely that the world will end.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Ubuntu disappearing before Mint sounds just ridiculously unlikely to me.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:08 pm

If Mint were to disappear, I'm with OtterGauze. I would go to Linux Lite. That was my second choice of a Linux OS. It's very similar to Mint.

If Lite disappeared, then I think I'd go to MX.

Other choices would be Ubuntu, Fedora, Peppermint.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:42 pm

Schultz wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:27 pm
mediclaser wrote:
And if I would doubt Ubuntu's future, I would also question Debian's future. This means my fallback distro must not be based on Debian (honestly, I need somebody to assure me Debian will be in good hands).
But the chances that all three... would go away is probably as close to zero as you can get.
My impression is if Debian goes away every distro that is based on it goes away as well. And I don't know how far developers are willing to go as far as continuing their work that depends on somebody else's work that is no longer.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:07 pm
Ubuntu disappearing before Mint sounds just ridiculously unlikely to me.
Exactly!

ShyGuy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ShyGuy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:27 pm

I would probably choose Pop!_OS with Cinnamon as long as Cinnamon was still around. If not, I would go for Elementary OS maybe?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”