guidance on support requests....lessons learned...recently

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

guidance on support requests....lessons learned...recently

Post by oldgranola » Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 pm

Hey. I think I have an observation about how to make an effective tech support request in these LM forums and more appropriately, how to not get usable help.

It seems to me that the best way to get help here is to keep it simple, direct, short, clear; Don't post too much output from inxi, hwinfo, blkid, lsblk, dmesg etc. and that this forum is best used to address LM specific issues relating for LM installation, GUI issues like Cinnamon, updates etc. Not much further.

When we're a total noob we tend to ask questions with insufficient info, wrong verbage/definitions and too much emotion. Those actually seem to get some attention tho from well meaning folk. Usable stuff but usually get prompted to post some basic info from command prompt output about our hardware etc. Good stuff.

But when an intermediate, thinking we might actually know some stuff having been all over the internet, we tend to make rambling requests full of

Code: Select all

something here
and a flood of thoughts. That doesn't seem to be so useful.

Even worse, when we try to tackle advanced problems in the hardware domain, advanced storage management, running a web site etc, it becomes clear that this isn't the right forum even if we are using LM to do the above.

Seems obvious now but..
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: guidance on support requests....lessons learned...recently

Post by catweazel » Tue May 07, 2019 1:49 am

oldgranola wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 pm
Hey. I think I have an observation about how to make an effective tech support request in these LM forums...
Condensed into a single sentence of four words or less, read the forum rules.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens » Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:49 am
oldgranola wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 pm
Hey. I think I have an observation about how to make an effective tech support request in these LM forums...
Condensed into a single sentence of four words or less, read the forum rules.
That is just too easy ;)
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue May 07, 2019 3:21 am

lsemmens wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 am
That is just too easy ;)
Easier still...

RTFR
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Wed May 08, 2019 1:20 am

Heh. Tried to be funny but fell short on that. In response to trying to help on one of the long winded ones and realized it was a bit too much like mine, hopefully without the griping tho.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Wed May 08, 2019 6:49 pm

There is a certain minimum threshold to be able to post actionable queries here in LMF. However, this is also true of every day life.

If you're having a car problem but the best you can do is say "It doesn't work when I do the 'go push' on the 'stop-stop'," it is not unreasonable to speculate one will not get meaningful help. Likewise, if your car stops going but you never availed yourself of the opportunity to know there is such a thing as fuel, and that vehicles require it to function, you will have a very painful user experience in addition to a rough time getting help, since every other person will assume you know those basic things.

It's incumbent upon the user to educate her- or himself, and it is really the only way one will have a pleasant user experience or a pleasant time in a community such as this one.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Ubuntu 19.10 on a MBP 8,1 and dreaming about my return to Linux Mint.

Also looking for a new job.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”