Tried the others, came back to Mint. It is good to be home...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Tried the others, came back to Mint. It is good to be home...

Post by titianmom » Tue May 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Well folks, it was time for upgrades on two of my laptops (actually 3) and a older desktop. All of them were running Mint except for a really old T42 running Lbuntu.

I went to Distrowatch and saw, to my amazement, that MX Linux and Manjaro were at the top. And climbing. So I thought, what the heck. Give them a try and find out why they're so wonderful.

Keep in mind that I have basic Thinkpads and an old desktop with older, standard gear, and I have never had any problems installing or running Mint. I installed the old T42 with AntiX; AntiX lasted until one of their rolling kernels killed it. No big deal; it was old, anyways. Manjaro on the old desktop didn't last as long; I had nothing but problems with it. My THinkpads had MX Linux on them, but I didn't care for it that much. I had to do a bunch of tweaking to get it to work the way I wanted them to. I use GIMP alot and don't care for 2.10.8. I could reload the app, but frankly, I just don't think MX is all that hot, either.

I've came back to "Cindy" for my laptops and Mint's Mate on the old Desktop, and they have been perfect from day one, out-of-the-box.

I have no idea why everyone is raving about MX and Manjaro. IMHO, MX is better than Manjaro, but then, I had so many problems with Manjaro Mate. The last "upgrade" was more like a Microsoft "destruct"-grade. Same thing--kernel upgrade killed the desktop and I had to reload it.

Kim

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Tried the others, came back to Mint. It is good to be home...

Post by ajgringo619 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:09 pm

Welcome back! I, too, tried Manjaro and was disappointed. I know that rolling distros tend to be more unstable that LTS releases, but it was way worse than Fedora. Mint's XFCE release has been the most trustworthy of any distro I've ever tried.
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-64-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (435.21)

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 pm

The shortest time ANY OS has lasted on one of my machines before I blew it all away and replaced it with another was 15 minutes - one guess as to who produced that one. I went back to '95 - the version. Missed Edition! - In the end I replaced it with Winwoes 2000 which is where I stayed until XP was at SP1.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom » Thu May 09, 2019 5:07 pm

I'm just glad a pre-sliced my hard drive so I only had to reload the Os's.

Shadow in Fire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadow in Fire » Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 am

Most distros are intended for technical and/or niche sides of computing. With Ubuntu and the like, more of the focus is on the desktop experience, especially if you are coming from Windows.

Once you spend at least six months playing around and getting a feel for GNU/Linux, it gets easier to diagnose, troubleshoot, and prevent problems along the way.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon May 13, 2019 6:32 am

actually, that MX Linux is quite an well designed system - which is why it's better such reviews ATM.
& it's also the goto system for any of those more low - specced PCs that folks seem to wish to recycle.
8)

but, as an Main Production System - - most folks do seem to prefer LinuxMint, for some reason.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon May 13, 2019 6:44 am

Pierre wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:32 am
actually, that MX Linux is quite an well designed system - which is why it's better such reviews ATM.
& it's also the goto system for any of those more low - specced PCs that folks seem to wish to recycle.
8)

but, as an Main Production System - - most folks do seem to prefer LinuxMint, for some reason.
In your opinion, what's the advantage of MX Linux over Mint Xfce? Both have the Xfce desktop, so both should be equally lightweight....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 am

most probably, that the MXLinux version of XFCE is an little more polished, if anything.
- - there is an little more customisation, as the XFCE desktop is also their main system
and that the MX Project Team is focussed more on the XFCE desktop.

where-as the LinuxMint Project team is more focused on the Cinnamon desktop, as their main system.
- - it's that old horses-for-courses scenario, as there is no one-size-fits-all to be found.
especially since there is also a wide variety of hardware out there.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

antknee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by antknee » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:17 pm

Yes and welcome back to you as well, I also went off to MX Linux I had been using Mint since version 17 xfce and worked my way up to 19.1 that's when my NVIDIA drivers would NOT install despite all the forums I went through trying to find the answer failed!. I ventured off to trying other distros, ran into the same problem with MX Linux (no nvidia) and didn't like any of the others I tried enough to bother with getting the nvidia drivers to work. So now I'm back on Mint 18.3 xfce again because it lets me install the nvidia drivers.
I guess I will stay on this version 18.3 and wait a few newer version from 19.1 later to see what happens to the ability to install the nvidia drivers before I leap off and install the next versions. Hopefully the ability to install nvidia drivers will be fixed but I will certainly find that out first next time. I really love mint it has been the best and the longest linux I have stuck with since I've been on Linux.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:30 pm

There are, and there have been, quite a number of distros I've never tried. I don't know that there's any particularly great mystery. I'm not a developer, and I'm not a tinkerer. My laptop is my production machine, and the only kind of distro it's going to run is a polished and stable one.

I've played around with Fedora, openSUSE, and in times past a couple others, but the only ones stable enough for me to seriously consider running "for real" are Debian and its derivatives, namely Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

I wish the MX Linux folk all the luck and success they can have, but between LM with Cinnamon, and Solus with Budgie, and Elementary OS with Pantheon, what unique value does MX truly offer?
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:56 pm

what unique value does MX truly offer?
- - it's most probably due to their OOB experience - - which does work well.
this was also the Main Selling Point of the LinuxMint.Project - - that OOB experience.

those folks that are still coming over from the Windows Experience - - are usually seeking that elusive OOB thing.
:twisted:
ie: the Windows Experience - - is broken.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:34 am

Tried MX and Manjaro and Lubuntu, many others.
the only version that I like, and will continue to use, is 18.3 Cinnamon, simply because it is so smooooth and svelte.

it just simply performs, day after day without giving me any problems.....
( this all ignores my learning period back when )

I despise 19.1

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:51 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:34 am
Tried MX and Manjaro and Lubuntu, many others.
the only version that I like, and will continue to use, is 18.3 Cinnamon, simply because it is so smooooth and svelte.

it just simply performs, day after day without giving me any problems.....
( this all ignores my learning period back when )

I despise 19.1

+1000

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:18 am

I really enjoy reading threads like this because I see a part of myself here--searching for the holy grail.
I'm guessing a dozen or more distros just didn't fit the bill and I am still using Mint as my mainstay, goto,
trusted, main reliable system. eos

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 am

The only reason I'll be leaving Mint is because I'll get bored of her stability, which is also the same reason for coming back. I assume that's what happened to you.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:22 pm

sphyrth wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 am
The only reason I'll be leaving Mint is because I'll get bored of her stability, which is also the same reason for coming back. I assume that's what happened to you.
Ha, ha. That's me :)

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:21 pm

sigh!

My Daily Driver laptop is physically dying..... the network interfaces have totally crapped out on WiFi... only the LAN is still working, and it has slowed down so much, I can't use it...

I bought a new laptop, and sigh again, 18.3 does not have the video drivers for it.

I note that 19.2 is now out, so I am going to try that and see if it will work.. "prayers have been sent up"

I have 3 other laptops but they are painfully slow, so I don't use them.

Akore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Akore » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:24 am

Agree 100% with OP.

Tried them all and still have most of them installed on my Lenovo T520 laptop.

MX Linux, Debian, Deepin, Elementary OS, Ubuntu, Manjaro.... even tried to install Arch (and I am a retired IT guy) but that was way above my pay grade...

I always find myself back on Mint... it just plain works, looks nice and my computer does not lock up.... oh and it is snappy fast.

I will probably keep tying others... one day I hope to have the same OS across all platforms (phone, tablet, computer, watch) to make life simpler in my old age.... lol :-)

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm

The latest version of Ubuntu (actually, the last couple releases as well) are so demanding the fans on my MBP run darn near 100% constantly, unless it's literally sitting there on the "desktop" (if you can actually call it that) with no file manager windows open. It's completely insane.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:51 am

Hey--I am always looking for greener pastures.
I love running new distros, and some are intriguing, but all in all
Mint is as green as it gets--(pun intended)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”