heck, LM isn't a bad disc recovery or network manager OS

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

heck, LM isn't a bad disc recovery or network manager OS

Post by oldgranola » Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 pm

A cheapo lenovo think m-mseries compact computer running a Beckman Coulter cytoflex FCS instrument had a fart and wouldn't boot into win7. "OMG our data is lost!!" They came and replaced it but said the little pos was dead, hard drive corrupted, no boot sector, you lost your data. Bios test did show major failures. Not bootable.

But strangely, taking my handy USB LM 19.1 live USB booted fine and could get to the important 400+GB of data. I posted here a bout trials of installing samba etc in a live session and networking to DL, as data transfer on the second USB was horrible. no help so I gave up on that. But after running DDrescue, I was able to utilize an unused partition on the hd as the boot sector, format and install LM19.1 using an otherwise hidden partition (recovery disk?). Also was able to get rid of all traces of Windows on the major NTFS windows partition while keeping the wanted data to save space. So how to get data off? Well, once LM was fully in control, I could install SAMBA, make shares and access remotely on the appropriate corporate domain.
Also, this is a kicker, was able to use ACL via setfacl and editing fstab to mount with acl enabled on the NTFS part(set user and group access permissions for directoris not owned by those groups/users) to manage permissions on that remaining data NTFS windows partition to safely allow read but not write so folks could grab what they needed but not risk screwing the data. Took me a while but fun. Anyways, LM works in a corporate environment too. I will say tho that when I tried to use the GUI tools for managing users etc, that was a big fail. Have to go to terminal basics. The Gnome-disk aka 'disk' is very useful. I can do more with that than gparted for mounting options etc, edits fstab. Long learning curve but I'm impressed with LM again. cudos.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Re: heck, LM isn't a bad disc recovery or network manager OS

Post by oldgranola » Thu May 16, 2019 12:04 am

The other cool thing is now that folks have had access to LM , they like it a lot and wonder why more of our computers aren't using it. The replacement computer then auto-updated to win10 thereby killing the main program to control the cytoflex. I had to re-install. Had to tell folks that there is no way to turn off updates in win10 that I know of so will likely break again. This happens a lot for many scientific instruments, have to keep off the network which is a pain. The general reply was "why don't they write the program for Linux??". Ya! why not?
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 am

in the next version of win-10, there will supposedly be more control over those updates.
:twisted:
it also depends on whether you are running Home or Pro - on those machines.
- you can get some type of control by using either:
- - Group Policy
- the Registry
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop ... windows-10
does give some idea's on which one to use.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:11 pm

You can delay Win10 update by turning on metered connection options on your ethernet or wifi connection in Win10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... windows-10

For what it is worth, I have been using Linux Mint live USB/DVD as rescue disk for ailing PC for over 5 years. As long as the PC boots, I can do diagnostic or recover data (if it is not encrypted) since it have most of the tools of Hiren or Ultimate Boot CD and much easier to use. It amazed people what can be down with a USB drive or DVD. Works on Mac too, once you get used to the goofy keyboards.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Telyx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telyx » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 am

I carry a little Staples Relay USB drive (not much bigger than a USB plug itself) in my pocket with the LM 18 MATE image on it for exactly that purpose. I even rescued a laptop that my workplace was tossing by making it boot Mint.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Pierre wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 am
in the next version of win-10, there will supposedly be more control over those updates.
:twisted:
it also depends on whether you are running Home or Pro - on those machines.
- you can get some type of control by using either:
- - Group Policy
- the Registry
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop ... windows-10
does give some idea's on which one to use.
I seriously doubt microsoft will allow opt-in in general. Then to allow some but not all services to update would require detailed info on what dependencies is and is not important for the instrument software being used. Most vendors can't even give you that information.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”