New Laptop running Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New Laptop running Mint.

Post by athi » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:47 am

With newer PC, I usually flash the PC using the bios update utility and USB flash drive. Also found this tutorial on line for HP laptop bios flash https://lukas.dzunko.sk/index.php/Hardw ... sing_Linux

Anyway, this is how I flash my HP. All bios are different and some may require more than firmware .bin file on the USB drive.
1. Boot into bios setup and find firmware name and revision or run

Code: Select all

$ sudo lshw
look in firmware section to find your firmware.
2. Check in your bios setup and see if it have a section for updating bios. Mine have a section called Update System Bios, yours might be part of System Diagnostic. If your bios does not have build in flash utility these instructions will not work.
3. If you bios have the capability to update bios, download the appropriate firmware package for the laptop from support.hp.com Confirm that is the correct bios, bad flash could brick your PC.
4. Get a USB flash drive and format as FAT32, create directory Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New on formatted flash drive.
5. Extract firmware package, find and copy only the bios firmware file (.bin) into Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New on formatted flash drive.
6. Shut down laptop. Install flash drive in laptop. Plug laptop into power adapter, reboot laptop and enter bios setup.
7. Navigate to and enter bios update section, an follow screen instructions to flash bios. Give the utility plenty of time and there may be several reboots until the process is done. If flash utility ask for missing files, note file names, find files in extracted firmware and add files to formatted flash drive.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

DJF113
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New Laptop running Mint.

Post by DJF113 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm

MurphCID wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:27 pm
Now I just wonder how it will run Civilization V?
Civ 5 = Best Game Ever :D Best time hog as well!
Alienware 17R4, i7-7820HK, 16GB DDR4, 256SSD, 1TBHDD, Nvidia GeForce GTX1070, Win10/LM19 (Gaming Rig)
Dell Inspiron 17 5758, i5-4210U, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Linux Mint 19
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”