Flat 'Modern' GUI design and where it comes from (and reflections of Clems March 2019 blog post in relation to that)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Flat 'Modern' GUI design and where it comes from (and reflections of Clems March 2019 blog post in relation to that)

Post by Portreve » Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:56 pm
Portreve wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:49 pm
I don't know what it was called, but I strongly prefer the UI design Google used with Android 4.x and earlier.
Like this?
That's the one!
Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Xi does look like Winnie the Pooh. FTCG.

farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Flat 'Modern' GUI design and where it comes from (and reflections of Clems March 2019 blog post in relation to that)

Post by farkas » Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm

It is all in the eye of the beholder. If I had a choice between Mint X, Mint Y and the one in the last two posts I would choose it.
What is it called?
Is there a way to get it?
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:30 am

farkas wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:42 pm
Is there a way to get it?
Sure, buy an old Android smartphone. ;) (and on a more serious note, there's probably a Linux theme that was made to look like it for there are hundreds if not thousands of Linux themes out there, just go and discover)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Shiratori
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shiratori » Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 am

Portreve wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:24 pm
Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:56 pm
Portreve wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:49 pm
I don't know what it was called, but I strongly prefer the UI design Google used with Android 4.x and earlier.
Like this?
That's the one!
It was called Holo. I loved it. Very Tron-like.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Fri May 31, 2019 5:11 am

Shiratori wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:14 am
It was called Holo. I loved it. Very Tron-like.
Oh, I remember that now! Yeah. And I guess you're right about the similarities.

BTW, nice avatar. I grew up in the 70s on Sandy Frank's import of Gatchaman, Battle of the Planets. It wasn't until 20 years later that I knew there was such a thing as "Anime". :lol:
Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Xi does look like Winnie the Pooh. FTCG.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:20 pm
cliffcoggin wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:21 pm

Well perhaps we have different ideas of what constitutes flat design. The Mint X themes you showed earlier all display the elements that I consider poor aspects of flat design, namely insipid colours, indistinct borders, & low contrast controls, which together conspire to present a vague and hard to read interface.
Right, but that doesn't make them flat. There are gradients and shadows, making it a non-flat theme.
Words have meanings and 'flat design' doesn't mean what you are describing here.
Fair enough Moem and gm10. Guilty as charged, and sorry for not knowing the correct term. Can anyone enlighten me how this modern style should be referred to?
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:51 am

cliffcoggin wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:33 pm
Can anyone enlighten me how this modern style should be referred to?
You mean the grey on grey one? How about "ugly and hard on the eyes"? :lol: :P (I don't know that it has a name as an overreaching concept)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:24 am

I hope people who start these kinds of posts, reply to them, and read them, understand that from a distro point of view you simple cannot win this. No matter what you do some users will love it and some will hate it. It's just how it goes. For those that have this opinion that no one wants this newer style of flat theme, trying going back and reading the comments in many of the blog posts from before Mint-Y existed. It only came into being because of the large amount of user feedback that people wanted that style. Flat style themes like Arc are hugely popular. And yes, people use them by choice because that is what they want. But we knew not everyone would want this. It's why so much effort is put into also keeping Mint-X up to date. So the people who wanted the same style they always had could use it easily.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:10 pm

So "flat" vs "not flat" is basically just the style of icons (and NOT, say, a bunch of icons to pick from VS a pull-down menu)? If that's correct they probably shouldn't be using the term "GUI design".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Flemur wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:10 pm
So "flat" vs "not flat" is basically just the style of icons
And other visual elements, yes.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MadmanRB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MadmanRB » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:28 pm

For me i am against flat themes as they have become too common and seems like every app blends into the next.
Its one thing to want uniformity its another to make it dull and boring.
I really miss glassy looks like windows 7's aero or gradients like the older versions of OSX's aqua theme, now both OSX and windows 10 are flat paper, no personality same goes with the newer versions of the google apps that are all white and all blend into eachother.

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ZakGordon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 am

Flemur wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:10 pm
So "flat" vs "not flat" is basically just the style of icons......
Not the way i've seen it rolled out (Flat Design that is). As i mentioned up thread it goes hand in hand with streamlining/simplification and loss of function that is an inexcapable part of being DNA linked to mobile usage, and by 'mobile' i mean hand held devices (not laptops that can actually function as full desktop replacements). I have yet to see one example of Flat Design post Windows 8 where this is not the case (Windows 10 a prime example vs Windows 7 in terms of functional and detailed GUI where user control is a primary concern etc).

We are living in the era of the smart-phone people and that has lots of negatives (and not justin GUI design and function!).

When i see a Flat Design i don't think, "wow that looks cool and modern!", i think "God that is going to be broken and half functional compared to what i'm used to and prefer!", and i've not had an experience to change that yet! ;)
Laptop overheating issues? Check links below:
TLP
itsfoss guide
If none of the above fixes the issue, moving from Cinnamon to XFCE will give around -5 to -10 degrees C improvements.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”