Is this happening to anyone else?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgringo619

Is this happening to anyone else?

Post by ajgringo619 »

I thought for a moment that I might be having networking issues after my upgrade to kernel 5.0.0-16. However, it seems that I'm only having intermittent issues accessing this site. At random times, forums.linuxmint.com just disappears from my DNS servers, only to show up again within 1-5 minutes. Again, this is only happening on this site.

I'm using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 as my DNS servers (for at least 6 months now).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Is this happening to anyone else???

Post by old_noob »

I had the same experience yesterday; blamed the wifi at first but went back to 4.18 and the problem went away.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

it did happen to me just once about a half an hour ago...lost it for 5 minutes...running kernel 4.15.0-51:53 also using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1...i would say it was the site and not your system...other than maintenence, the site has been known for intermittent outages...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

and sorry for the double post, not able to delete it for some reason.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I don't think, at least in my case, that the kernel version is the problem. I've been running the v5 kernel for a while now and it's never given me any reason to downgrade it.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

old_noob wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:09 pm and sorry for the double post, not able to delete it for some reason.
Click the "X" icon in the upper right-hand corner of the post to delete it.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:08 pm it did happen to me just once about a half an hour ago...lost it for 5 minutes...running kernel 4.15.0-51:53 also using 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1...i would say it was the site and not your system...DAMIEN
OK, thanks for that, DAMIEN. If I'm going crazy, it's nice to have company. :lol:
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

old_noob wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:09 pm and sorry for the double post, not able to delete it for some reason.
I deleted it for you :wink:
Crippled

Post by Crippled »

I have no Internet connection issues since I am running Kernel: 5.0.0-15-generic x86_64 . My only Internet issue is Google being so nosey, farming peoples data and selling it. :evil: That ReCAPTCHA from Google that needs to be outlawed by considering it a capital offence if it's ever used. :evil: A mandatory death prenatally needs to be imposed on anyone or anything using ReCAPTCHA! :evil:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Nope, this is not happening to me.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Crippled wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:33 pmMy only Internet issue is Google being so nosey
Amen, Brother!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is this happening to anyone else?

Post by Hoser Rob »

If the hardware listing in the OP's sig is correct, you're talking about hardware at least 5 years old. You don't need the newest kernel, just one that's LTS. The newest kernels are meant more for the newest hardware and are more likely to cause issues with older machines.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

it's not your hardware or kernel, i also use 1.1.1.1 and a lot of /etc/hosts modifications and notice quite often mint forums gateway timeout with my old 2007 computer as well as my new 2019 ryzen3
when i check https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/forums ... t.com.html at the time of gateway error i get a RED DOWN meaning DNS server errors

sometimes disable/enable wifi from network tray icon brings it back sometimes unplugging the router, but in either case this happens quite a lot from North California
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I haven't noticed this yet on my phone, but I don't use it that often to browse the forums.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”