Cell Phone Compatibility?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Cell Phone Compatibility?

Post by rgand »

I'm not sure where to post this but I'll give this board a try. If it's in the wrong one, let me know and I'll post there or maybe the moderators can move this there.

Anyway. I need a new cell phone. My old iphone 4S is OK but the old OS is ready to die and can't be upgraded. My wife's new iphone 7 stinks for getting photos and videos off it.

Does anyone know what OS, if any, is totally compatible with Linux? Plug the phone into the computer and, bingo, it reads the photo library.

Thanks for any input on this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cell Phone Compatibility?

Post by deepakdeshp »

It's possible to connect a Android phone to laptop wirelessly with Airdroid or with a mini USB cable.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks, I'll check out the Androids.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yeah, I too think Android is your best bet. My phone runs LineageOS which is an Android fork, and I can easily connect it with a cable.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Not the "bingo" srtup that you describe but I like my iPhone 8 and I like LM so dropbox works great as far as moving pics from phone to PC.
BlackJackMarcus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackJackMarcus »

Android here, set the cell phone up as a FTP server, I use the FTP function in the Solid Explorer file manager. Then using the FTP address given by Solid Explorer in the Mint file manager (eg Thunar or Nemo) the cell phone directory directory structure is shown.

An alternative is to use Filezilla in Mint to access the address given by the FTP function of Solid Explorer. I find this works real fast and always connects.

So to answer your question its not so much whether it is an Android or iPhone what counts is making the FTP server function available on the phone.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for all the great responses. I should be able to get things working. Now I have to figure out which phone I'll replace the clunk with.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Yes Android here too...I have one of those evil Huawei phones :lol: works great with Mint. Image :D

We call them...Mobile Phones here. :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
philotux

Post by philotux »

Samsung S8 and Android Pie here. Connects to all my Linux boxes with cable with no problem.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

Moto G5 Plus here. I can transfer photos to the PC once I figured out how to do it:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=273364#p1497606
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Great replies again. Thanks for the additional input, folks. So far, the Android looks like a good choice.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

My android devices are very easy to connect to my Linux machines. When I connect my phone directly with a USB cable, the phone storage becomes an external drive and file transfer is handled using Nemo. When connecting thru WiFi, I use ES File Explorer app to connect to my Linux machine and file transfer is handled from the phone (to connect to a shared folder in Linux).
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Android definitely sounds like the hot ticket. Thanks for that.

Linux got me out from under Windows. Now Android can get me out from under Apple. :D
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

rgand wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:50 am Android definitely sounds like the hot ticket. Thanks for that.

Linux got me out from under Windows. Now Android can get me out from under Apple. :D
When Apple iphone x first came out here...it cost $1500+ Image but it cost Apple just under $500 to make...what's the other $1000 for. Image Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

bob466 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 pmWhen Apple iphone x first came out here...it cost $1500+ Image but it cost Apple just under $500 to make...what's the other $1000 for. Image Image
The priviledge of giving them a healthy profit?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:00 pm It's possible to connect a Android phone to laptop wirelessly with Airdroid or with a mini USB cable.
I can certify this, I use several different Android phones.
Samsung S5 which is a terrific device yet today, it is still Flagship quality.
and a couple of older Samsung devices from 10 years ago. they still work, just slower than molasses.

Note 4, one of which is rooted on Android 4.4.4 and works fabulously, but lately with the app programmers not making sure their stuff is backward compatible, I had to get another that is not rooted, it has Android 6.x on it, which brings along new problems with apps...

but, getting pictures off my phone to the PC/laptops is a piece of cake.

I use ASUS File Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ilemanager

to transfer files/videos/pictures every where. to/from the SDcard to the internal memory, or move from internal to SDcard to free up memory.

or, to "Network" to any Shared Folder on any device that is logged into, and Shared to the network.

I can move 4 or 5 pictures that I just took, to my laptop, in about 5 seconds.

Take a look at www.Swappa.com and pick up a used phone of great quality for much less than paying the piper for a new one. I never, ever, buy new....never....
Swappa.com has a certification procedure they make sellers go thru, or you can't sell there.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

I just tried with my Iphone 6 and it worked perfectly.
When I plugged the phone to my laptop it asked me what I wanted to do, and i selected "Import from removable device" and it showed me all the pictures in my phone.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thank you for the replies. I intend to go look see about an Android. Verizon offers a wonderful little Palm phone now but the reviews say the battery life sucks or I'd think about one of those.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

rgand wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:50 am Thank you for the replies. I intend to go look see about an Android. Verizon offers a wonderful little Palm phone now but the reviews say the battery life sucks or I'd think about one of those.
A possible negative that would be deal-breaker for me is the Palm Phone does not appear to accept expandable storage.

Consider one of the Moto z offerings. I replaced my iPhone with a z2 Play about a year ago, and I have been pleased with it. Call quality and battery life is good, and it accepts micro SD cards for expandable storage. I found the price to be reasonable, and it plays nice with Linux. I think at one time Verizon was including the Moto-Mod Battery in anticipation of their 5G roll-out.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks, I'll check the Moto Z series out.

When I finally decide it will be for call/receive function and size (other than the Palm Phone, due to battery issues). I make and receive texts and calls plus take an occasional photo. I also use a corded headset. I don't need any aps beyond what it already has on it so, although possibly useful at some future time, expansion isn't a major issue.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”