Getting a new 2 in 1 in a couple months. Touch-screen, can fold into a tablet, etc. Can Linux Mint make full use of it?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
SweetBearCub
Level 1
Level 1

Getting a new 2 in 1 in a couple months. Touch-screen, can fold into a tablet, etc. Can Linux Mint make full use of it?

Post by SweetBearCub » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:41 am

Current Linux Mint 19.1 user, on my desktop.

OneMix will soon release a pretty powerful 8.4" UMPC that I want. Nice bright 2K screen and backlit keyboard, fingerprint sensor, Intel Core m3-8100Y, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB PCIe NVMe SSD, M.2/42mm SATA3 expansion, USB 3 and C ports, pressure-sensitive drawing pen support, ability to be used like a traditional laptop, to fold back into a tablet, or to be opened in tent mode, etc.

While I'm sure that basic desktop Linux can run on it, can it take full advantage of the extra features? For example, Windows has a touch-friendly tablet mode, with touch-optimized applications for that mode. What about Linux?

I really do want to stick with Linux, but not if it means that I can't really take full advantage of new hardware with appropriate software.

I haven't seen Linux do that yet, and I've only seen a type of that using Android.

Thanks.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Getting a new 2 in 1 in a couple months. Touch-screen, can fold into a tablet, etc. Can Linux Mint make full use of

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 am

Linux Mint 19.1 has supported touch screen, backlit keyboard with the usual functions on Yoga laptop. You will have to install it on your machine to test.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

SweetBearCub
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Getting a new 2 in 1 in a couple months. Touch-screen, can fold into a tablet, etc. Can Linux Mint make full use of

Post by SweetBearCub » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:37 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:18 am
Linux Mint 19.1 has supported touch screen, backlit keyboard with the usual functions on Yoga laptop. You will have to install it on your machine to test.
I wasn't (mostly) asking about hardware support.

For example, in Windows, I can (theoretically, as I don't have the machine here to test) open up a drawing application, and it will auto-recognize my active pen, have touch-enabled color palette and other controls onscreen, etc. Or, when watching Netflix or checking the weather or reading my mail in tablet mode (etc), it will have tablet mode touch-optimized applications for that, since standard desktop applications are not suitable in a touch-only interface.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”