Difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
j2ee

Difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu

Post by j2ee »

Please explain, thx! :P
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Different between Linux Mint and Ubuntu

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
j2ee

Post by j2ee »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:27 pm https://www.ubuntupit.com/linux-mint-vs ... -best-one/
You will find many such on net.
Article look this doesn't explain the technical different details very well.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:27 pm https://www.ubuntupit.com/linux-mint-vs ... -best-one/
Heh, first comparison: desktop base memory comparisons I wonder in what world he ended up with Cinnamon using less than MATE, LXQt using less than LXDE, and Zorin as an alleged desktop environment using 25% more than GNOME (which is the actual DE Zorin uses by default)...

No criticism against you for posting the link, as you said there are many such on the net - advice for OP though: don't believe everything you read on the Internet. I'd say just try them both out and see which one you like better. They both come with live environments that let you try them out risk-free by booting from an USB stick.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:39 pm
Heh, first comparison: desktop base memory comparisons I wonder in what world he ended up with Cinnamon using less than MATE, LXQt using less than LXDE, and Zorin as an alleged desktop environment using 25% more than GNOME (which is the actual DE Zorin uses by default)...

No criticism against you for posting the link, as you said there are many such on the net - advice for OP though: don't believe everything you read on the Internet. I'd say just try them both out and see which one you like better. They both come with live environments that let you try them out risk-free by booting from an USB stick.
+1 for the live boot.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu

Post by karlchen »

Note, please, folks, the OP did not ask which one were better, Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
The original question, as to be found in the title of this most enlightening thread, is
j2ee wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 pm Difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Please explain!
One smart answer could be: Ubuntu could exist without Linux Mint, but Linux Mint could not exist without Ubuntu, because it is based on Ubuntu.
(Except for LMDE 3 of course, which is based on Debian directly. But 90% of the Mint users stick with the Ubuntu based Mint editions. Cf. Users by edition) :wink:

This leads to one more smart answer:
There is only one Ubuntu, with different desktop environments of course, based on Debian somehow.
There are two totally different Linux Mint flavours: The main edition is based on Ubuntu and comes with 3 different desktop environments, Cinnamon, Mate and xfce. The Debian edition, LMDE 3, which come with the Cinnamon desktop only.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

karlchen wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:36 pm Note, please, folks, the OP did not ask which one were better, Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
The original question, as to be found in the title of this most enlightening thread, is
j2ee wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 pm Difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Please explain!
One smart answer could be: Ubuntu could exist without Linux Mint, but Linux Mint could not exist without Ubuntu, because it is based on Ubuntu.
(Except for LMDE 3 of course, which is based on Debian directly. But 90% of the Mint users stick with the Ubuntu based Mint editions.) :wink:
And Linux Mint is greener!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Serious Question:
j2ee wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 pmDifference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Please explain!
Serious Answer:
The following comparison may not be complete. The answers it gives only scratch the technical details under the hoods of Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
But it is so far the only recent comparison, which I have found, where the author at least tries to give an unbiased comparision between Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
This is why this article qualifies as a good starting point: Linux Mint vs Ubuntu: Detailed Comparison (by ThisHosting.Rocks|Updated January 5, 2019)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
j2ee

Post by j2ee »

karlchen wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:14 pm Serious Question:
j2ee wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 pmDifference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu. Please explain!
Serious Answer:
The following comparison may not be complete. The answers it gives only scratch the technical details under the hoods of Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
But it is so far the only recent comparison, which I have found, where the author at least tries to give an unbiased comparision between Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
This is why this article qualifies as a good starting point: Linux Mint vs Ubuntu: Detailed Comparison (by ThisHosting.Rocks|Updated January 5, 2019)
Thx for sharing. For technical part the ariticle only mentions
the graphical interface look different.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Here are a few key differences....

Main Edition Mint is always based on the last LTS Ubuntu release (18.04). Both Mint and Ubuntu share the same apt software repositories. Mint also has an extra Mint specific repository - providing additional packages and modified or different versions of packages that are in the Ubuntu repos - see the list of what Mint supply directly here. http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa.

All Mint editions irrespective of DE use the same Update Manager (mintupdate) and Software Manager (mintinstall). The latter has support for Flatpak out of the box, but none are pre-installed - Ubuntu supports Snap out of the box, and these days some Ubuntu pre-installed software is SNAP based.

Mint ships Timeshift out of the box as a system restore solution for any major regressions introduced by updates. Ubuntu doesn't have anything similar AFAIK.

All Mint editions ship a common set of basic apps known as Xapps - a Text editor (Xed) , a Media Player (Xplayer), a PDF reader (Xreader), a Photo Editor/Manager (Pix), a Photo Viewer (Xviewer).

All Mint editions also ship with a variety of additional Mint specific utilities - e.g a USB writer (mintstick), a basic backup utility (mintbackup), a system report module (mintreport)

Mint ships a Mint branded version of Firefox.

All mint editions have the same basic bottom panel + start menu type desktop layout out of the box.

All mint editions share common artwork - themes, icon sets and backgrounds.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
j2ee

Post by j2ee »

smurphos wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:02 am Here are a few key differences....

Main Edition Mint is always based on the last LTS Ubuntu release (18.04). Both Mint and Ubuntu share the same apt software repositories. Mint also has an extra Mint specific repository - providing additional packages and modified or different versions of packages that are in the Ubuntu repos - see the list of what Mint supply directly here. http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa.

All Mint editions irrespective of DE use the same Update Manager (mintupdate) and Software Manager (mintinstall). The latter has support for Flatpak out of the box, but none are pre-installed - Ubuntu supports Snap out of the box, and these days some Ubuntu pre-installed software is SNAP based.

Mint ships Timeshift out of the box as a system restore solution for any major regressions introduced by updates. Ubuntu doesn't have anything similar AFAIK.

All Mint editions ship a common set of basic apps known as Xapps - a Text editor (Xed) , a Media Player (Xplayer), a PDF reader (Xreader), a Photo Editor/Manager (Pix), a Photo Viewer (Xviewer).

All Mint editions also ship with a variety of additional Mint specific utilities - e.g a USB writer (mintstick), a basic backup utility (mintbackup), a system report module (mintreport)

Mint ships a Mint branded version of Firefox.

All mint editions have the same basic bottom panel + start menu type desktop layout out of the box.

All mint editions share common artwork - themes, icon sets and backgrounds.
Thx for sharing
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I've tried both...that's why I use Linux Mint...say no more :D and the fact Canonical is partnered with Microsoft would put off anyone. Image :evil: :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
j2ee

Post by j2ee »

bob466 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:37 am I've tried both...that's why I use Linux Mint...say no more :D and the fact Canonical is partnered with Microsoft would put off anyone. Image :evil: :roll:
With amazon river right?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

j2ee wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:55 am
bob466 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:37 am I've tried both...that's why I use Linux Mint...say no more :D and the fact Canonical is partnered with Microsoft would put off anyone. Image :evil: :roll:
With amazon river right?
I was thinking more along the lines of Spyware that Microsoft is infamous for. Image :evil: :evil:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

You've all missed one critical point.
Ubuntu and Mint are spelled differently.
Don't thank me....... :lol:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

j2ee,

Because you've asked about the technical details twice, what type of technical details are you looking for?

For example: memory usage, cpu usage?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

j2ee wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:55 am
With amazon river right?
Are you looking to choose between Mint and Ubuntu as an os for your use?
Regards,
Deepak

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, Mint is meant to be an improvement of what you get with Ubuntu. Otherwise, there is no point in making it (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). Based on my experience, Ubuntu (GNOME?) runs slower than Mint Cinnamon. But Ubuntu MATE seems about the same speed as Mint Cinnamon.

Coming from Windows, I find Mint easier to navigate than Ubuntu. Network access and sharing of folders is also easier in Mint Cinnamon than in Ubuntu. These are my immediate observations from a beginner standpoint. For a more experienced user, some custom WiFi drivers I can easily install in Mint have been having issues when installing in Ubuntu.

Hope this helps.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

mediclaser wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:37 am Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, Mint is meant to be an improvement of what you get with Ubuntu. Otherwise, there is no point in making it (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).
I don't think Mint was created as an improvement to Ubuntu so much as to create an alternative Linux distribution.
j2ee

Post by j2ee »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:08 pm
mediclaser wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:37 am Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, Mint is meant to be an improvement of what you get with Ubuntu. Otherwise, there is no point in making it (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).
I don't think Mint was created as an improvement to Ubuntu so much as to create an alternative Linux distribution.
Basically mint just look different. If you look at Ubuntu history this kind of different look distro get popular then no one care all the time, this is just like a fasion.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”