Level 2
Level 2

Re: Difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu

Post by j2ee » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:22 pm

JerryF wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:08 pm
mediclaser wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:37 am
Since Mint is based on Ubuntu, Mint is meant to be an improvement of what you get with Ubuntu. Otherwise, there is no point in making it (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).
I don't think Mint was created as an improvement to Ubuntu so much as to create an alternative Linux distribution.
Basically mint just look different. If you look at Ubuntu history this kind of different look distro get popular then no one care all the time, this is just like a fasion.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 pm

bob466 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:37 am
I've tried both...that's why I use Linux Mint...say no more :D and the fact Canonical is partnered with Micro$oft would put off anyone. Image :evil: :roll:
There was a definite lack of understanding about what that relationship is in that statement.

That relationship is based on the fact that Microsoft embeds a security key in the UEFI firmware implementation in most, if not all, MB makers. The intent is to ensure that the Microsoft OS installed is genuine. To me that's a reasonable concern, considering the jealousy that MS has for its OS. That intent often times has created difficulties for non-MS OSes in that the UEFI implementation may, and has at times, prevented the OS (i.e., Linux) from booting.

Rather than do battle with MS, Canonical and perhaps others have inserted a security key into the pass-off between the UEFI firmware and the boot sequence of the Ubuntu OS. Yes, with most UEFI implementations, it is possible to disable Secure Boot - in fact MS WANTED that capability. But by inserting the Canonical security key, based on the MS key and chained with it, it is possible for Ubuntu/Ubuntu derived OSes to boot more cleanly, but the Canonical key is not required for a successful boot.

While I have no particular love for things MS, what Canonical did in "partnership" was to make it easier to boot in the UEFI environment. And that would be to your advantage and mine, but is in no way a requirement for use of Canonical Ubuntu or its relatives (i.e., Linux Mint).
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:34 am

jglen490 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:46 pm
bob466 wrote:
I've tried both...that's why I use Linux Mint...say no more :D and the fact Canonical is partnered with Micro$oft would put off anyone. Image :evil: :roll:
There was a definite lack of understanding about what that relationship is in that statement.
Believe what you like :roll: :lol: I can't wait for what you're going to say if M$ buys Canonical. Image :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:18 pm

j2ee wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 pm

Difference between Linux Mint and Ubuntu
Please explain, thx! :P
LM is based on Ubuntu. The main difference is that most of the support in LM, especially in terms of security updates, come from Ubuntu developers = the LM owner saves on development and maintenance/support costs, ie in terms of finances and manpower. Eg the Linux kernel patches for the Meltdown & Spectre bugs in LM came from Ubuntu developers, which in turn came from Debian and Linux kernel developers.
....... IOW, LM has been piggy-backing off Ubuntu, who does most of the running and walking.

Other than the different desktop environment/display, LM is quite similar to Ubuntu, eg both are quite user-friendly to average users wrt GUI. Similarly for the other Ubuntu-based Linux distro like Zorin OS, Linux Lite, Peppermint OS, Pop! OS, etc. OTOH, the upstream Debian is mostly usable only by tech-geeks.

Mage of Maple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mage of Maple » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 pm

bob466 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:34 am
jglen490 wrote:
bob466 wrote:
Believe what you like :roll: :lol: I can't wait for what you're going to say if M$ buys Canonical. Image :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
If that happens, fine, then we can re-evaluate. Until then, you are just spreading FUD.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:56 pm

j2ee wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:08 pm
Please explain, thx! :P
Things.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:17 am

Mage of Maple wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:01 pm
bob466 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:34 am
jglen490 wrote:

If that happens, fine, then we can re-evaluate. Until then, you are just spreading FUD.
Really and what makes you an expert ? Image :lol: :lol: :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”