New Linux Mint 19.2. is coming to town soon...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: New Linux Mint 19.2. is coming to town soon...

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:38 am

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:07 am
gm10 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:41 am
[*]Clem for some reason now defaults mintmenu to use menulibre as the menu editor instead of MATE's own mozo. menulibre will, however, cause some breakage to the menu (duplication of categories and entries), so better tell people to uninstall that right away and install mozo instead. To fix the problems caused by menulibre they'll have to remove the user-*.menu files that menulibre creates in ~/.config/menus/applications-merged.[/list]
Thanks, I'll look into that....
10 minutes after I posted: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintmenu/c ... 1932c6bed4
Maybe it won't have an editor at all in the end, we'll see. :lol:

edit: Just checked the LM 19.2 release iso, it still comes with menulibre.
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 am

Funny you should say these things. As a Linux beginner newbie I played around with some distros in VM hosted on Win 8.1, and came across several I liked, although I could not get Manjaro to work.

I finally decided to "go the whole hog" and install Linux on bare metal, opting for Mint in October last year. I soon got interested to try out some other distros, this time for a live USB stick. Once again, I could not get Manjaro to work, which disappointed me considering the praise it generally receives. Some of the other distros impressed me, some were not for me, making me appreciate Mint even more. Mint worked from a live USB as well as when installed. The system is stable, intuitive, easy to handle.

My ultimate goal is to have a rolling release, but considering some of the issues I encountered with those distros, I am even thinking if I should not abandon that goal. Then again, when I will be more experienced I might be in a better position to assess that. Like you, I am very impressed with Mint too.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:47 am

Klaas Vaak wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 am
My ultimate goal is to have a rolling release, but considering some of the issues I encountered with those distros, I am even thinking if I should not abandon that goal.
If you want a stable and reliable system, you should definitely abandon the goal of having a rolling release. Rolling releases are inherently less stable and reliable than fixed releases. No matter how much efforts its developers put into it.

Only a fixed release like e.g. Ubuntu or Linux Mint, can have enterprise-grade stability and reliability. See this explanation:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... 2.html#ID3
(item 3)

Which is why, incidentally, I wouldn't dream of installing a rolling release on one of my own machines. My operating systems need to be bullet-proof and as reliable as a Leopard tank's diesel engine:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 am

Pjotr, I am well aware of the risk of instability of a rolling release. What I find off-putting about a non-rolling relase is that I need to do a fresh install every 5 years. That means everything I installed will have to be reinstalled, all the settings reset.

I believe in Synaptic there is an upgrade app/library/component (whatever the term) so you don't have to do a fresh install. But that's only for upgrades between point changes (19.1 to 19.2), not for version upgrades (18 to 19). Right?

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 am

Klaas Vaak wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 am
Pjotr, I am well aware of the risk of instability of a rolling release. What I find off-putting about a non-rolling relase is that I need to do a fresh install every 5 years. That means everything I installed will have to be reinstalled, all the settings reset.

I believe in Synaptic there is an upgrade app/library/component (whatever the term) so you don't have to do a fresh install. But that's only for upgrades between point changes (19.1 to 19.2), not for version upgrades (18 to 19). Right?
No, Mint has its own upgrade mechanism, point releases use Update Manager and for major releases there's an upgrade script supplied, see instructions here for upgrading from 18.3 to 19, for example:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615

In other words, you never have to do a fresh install if you don't want to (but it's still a good idea once in a while).

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:46 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 am
No, Mint has its own upgrade mechanism, point releases use Update Manager and for major releases there's an upgrade script supplied, see instructions here for upgrading from 18.3 to 19, for example:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3615

In other words, you never have to do a fresh install if you don't want to (but it's still a good idea once in a while).
OK, that's reassuring. If I skip 1 major release fresh install and upgrade instead, the next one will probably have to be on a new computer anyway. So, that is an interesting proposition.

Nenad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nenad » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 am

Hi,

will there be a better support for High DPI monitors, and a way to upgrade kernel to higher versions ?
I bought a new laptop at the beginning of the year, and it is pretty much unusable with Mint installed on it.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:45 am

Nenad wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 am
will there be a better support for High DPI monitors, and a way to upgrade kernel to higher versions ?
I bought a new laptop at the beginning of the year, and it is pretty much unusable with Mint installed on it.
If you're looking for fractional scaling, then no, not gonna happen while not based on wayland, and that's not in the cards so far.

Kernel upgrades you can do on any Mint version.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:04 am

Nenad wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 am
will there be a better support for High DPI monitors
This might help (the how-to is for Cinnamon):
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... tml#ID3.10
(item 3.10)

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Klaas Vaak wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 am
Funny you should say these things. As a Linux beginner newbie I played around with some distros in VM hosted on Win 8.1, and came across several I liked, although I could not get Manjaro to work.

I finally decided to "go the whole hog" and install Linux on bare metal, opting for Mint in October last year. I soon got interested to try out some other distros, this time for a live USB stick. Once again, I could not get Manjaro to work, which disappointed me considering the praise it generally receives. Some of the other distros impressed me, some were not for me, making me appreciate Mint even more. Mint worked from a live USB as well as when installed. The system is stable, intuitive, easy to handle.

My ultimate goal is to have a rolling release, but considering some of the issues I encountered with those distros, I am even thinking if I should not abandon that goal. Then again, when I will be more experienced I might be in a better position to assess that. Like you, I am very impressed with Mint too.

In my experience, Manjaro just works perfectly right out of the box. I have installed Manjaro on several different machines, always on the bare metal, it just works right. I often use Manjaro as my daily driver but right now I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon, just for the heck of it.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm

The new stable version of LinuxMint 19.2 will probably be released at the end of this week! Great way to start the summer a fresh with a new and shiny LM 19.2.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:57 am
I love the new fonts in 19.2. They look awesome. A huge improvement. :)
Ok, I finally broke down and just installed the 19.2 beta. I figured it has now been out long enough to reasonably trust. However, I'm really not seeing what you mean about fonts. Or, do you just mean that the Ubuntu font family is what's being used by default?
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Portreve wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:12 pm
Pjotr wrote:
Ok, I finally broke down and just installed the 19.2 beta. I figured it has now been out long enough to reasonably trust. However, I'm really not seeing what you mean about fonts. Or, do you just mean that the Ubuntu font family is what's being used by default?
Yes, that's what he means - the feedback on that surprised me a lot as well, it's not like those font's haven't always been there, ready to be selected by anybody unhappy with the defaults (personally I like the Noto fonts).

You're kinda late to the beta party btw, 19.2 was released yesterday, Clem's just waiting for it to reach all mirrors (many/most have it already) before making the announcement. ;)

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:14 pm
You're kinda late to the beta party btw, 19.2 was released yesterday, Clem's just waiting for it to reach all mirrors (many/most have it already) before making the announcement. ;)
I just found a way around that. :wink: :lol:

Downloading the final release version now. Thanks for the (pro)tip!

EDIT: It's installed and (so far) seems to be pretty nice.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:08 am

gm10 wrote:
Portreve wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
Yes, that's what he means - the feedback on that surprised me a lot as well, it's not like those font's haven't always been there, ready to be selected by anybody unhappy with the defaults (personally I like the Noto fonts).
I simply didn't know what I was missing. :mrgreen:
gm10 wrote:
You're probably right, and I don't want to sound whiny, but in the past it has happened that the intended final iso's were replaced just before the announcement. It's only really final when the big boss says it is....

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:54 am

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:08 am
gm10 wrote:
Portreve wrote:

I simply didn't know what I was missing. :mrgreen:
gm10 wrote:
You're probably right, and I don't want to sound whiny, but in the past it has happened that the intended final iso's were replaced just before the announcement. It's only really final when the big boss says it is....
Read you five by five.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:00 am

I'm not in any hurry to try 19.2 as I don't have any problems with Cinnamon 19.1 and am not happy that my favourite tool Shutter wont be included in newer versions...not happy Jan. Image Image :shock: :cry:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:33 am

bob466 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:00 am
....not happy that my favourite tool Shutter wont be included in newer versions..
You don't have to worry about shutter being unavailable until Mint 20.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:44 pm

smurphos wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:33 am
bob466 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:00 am
....not happy that my favourite tool Shutter wont be included in newer versions..
You don't have to worry about shutter being unavailable until Mint 20.
Yes but it's still going to be gone...I've used it since Cinnamon 17.2 and it's a great Tool...very disappointed to say the least. ImageImageImage
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Just ran the upgrade process from 19.1 to 19.2 on my laptop & it ran seamlessly.

Will probably leave it until tomorrow to upgrade the desktop in case any unexpected nasties rear their head during today. Although I have already run the beta ISO successfully in a virtualbox on that machine I will still go with the cautious approach.. :D
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-64-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”