Linux Mint 19.2 Tina: my how-to's have all been modified

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint 19.2 Tina: my how-to's have all been modified

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 am

Within the next couple of days (more likely: hours) the final version of Linux Mint 19.2 Tina will be released officially. All the how-to's on my website have been modified (wherever necessary) for Tina:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com

Have fun! :)

About Tina: you'll love it. My personal favourite improvements: the new fonts and their rendering are remarkably better than their predecessors. Furthermore, Update Manager (mintupdate) has been extended with some useful features (mainly thanks to the efforts of our fellow forum member gm10).

It's a slick, well-polished release, in conformity with the high quality standards we've come to expect from the Mint dev team.

Just one major drawback: Tina still features the 4.15 kernel series by default, which means that it won't be installable on very new hardware. The 4.18 kernel series, or even the 5.0 kernel series, is better suited for brand-new hardware. Owners of shiny new stuff will probably need to switch to Ubuntu 18.04.3 with its default 5.0 kernel (expected release date: today).
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina: my how-to's have all been modified

Post by greerd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:48 am

Cool! Thanks for all your hard work Pjotr!

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:42 am

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 am
Within the next couple of days (more likely: hours) the final version of Linux Mint 19.2 Tina will be released officially. All the how-to's on my website have been modified (wherever necessary) for Tina:
Great job as always!
Pjotr wrote:
Furthermore, Update Manager (mintupdate) has been extended with some useful features (mainly thanks to the efforts of our fellow forum member gm10).
Shameless plug: And yet it's an ancient version compared to what's on my PPA, which, of course, will be compatible with 19.2 and remains compatible to all other 19.x releases.

On talking Update Manager, be aware that your tips for changing the Synaptic configuration to influence Update Manager will not work anymore in 19.2 for Update Manager in 19.2 ignores Synaptic's configuration. I did that both to work around a bug with Synaptic ignoring command line parameters and because it makes no sense to configure the behaviour of Update Manager in another application. Sorry! ;) apt's configuration still applies though, of course.

While I was looking over your tips, some feedback if that's ok:

A note on the 10 first things to do in MATE: Add a weather report to the panel - rather than add the applet you suggest you can also right click the clock > Preferences and tick the box for Show weather. The weather will be shown left of the clock. Better than having to manage an additional applet IMHO.

On your mintupdate page I saw: the kernel team of Linus Torvalds also uses the terms "LTS kernel" and "ordinary kernel" - actually they don't use either, they use mainline, stable or longterm, and technically also prepatch/rc, but in reality that's the same as mainline (see https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html).

Your section Solutions for 28 bugs in Linux Mint 19.2 has content like changing the login window background. Pretty liberal use of the word "bug" if I may say so. :lol:

That same section mentions downloading a signing key a few times: Just to mention that I added functionality to Software Sources to Add missing keys. Or rather Clem added that from an old pull request of mine after I had left, and which still had a few bugs. My PPA has a fully working version, of course. ;)
Pjotr wrote:
The 4.18 kernel series, or even the 5.0 kernel series,
4.18 is end of life now, but yes, it really should have been 5.0 for 19.2... :|
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

OveS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by OveS » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:25 pm

@gm10, as I'm using your PPA, I hope it won't disturb the upgrade to 19.2 ?
--
Ideapad 530S-14ARR - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, Thinkpad X240 - Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon,
MacBook Pro 15" (mid-2010), iMac 20" (early-2008), Raspberry Pi 2, 3 and 4

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:33 pm

OveS wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:25 pm
@gm10, as I'm using your PPA, I hope it won't disturb the upgrade to 19.2 ?
No, all good, plus my Upgrade Manager will give you a nice notification about it. But please ask such questions in my PPA thread - I know I was slightly naughty dropping the mention of it in here, let's not make it worse. :oops:

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:43 pm

Another little bit of feedback and suggested tip specific to Cinnamon/Nemo. The relatively well hidden + button to expand the Nemo right click context menu has now been removed from the context menu. In it's place is a checkbox accessed via Nemo > Edit > Check / Uncheck "Use full context menu".

I think some hints on tweaking font settings to get around the Cinnamon Desktop theme's hardcoded font sizes for the panel / menu etc would also be helpful for users on high resolution but small in dimensions screens that are still sub HIDPI pixel densities. Basically the protocol is to set the main fonts sizes in the Font Selection GUI a point or two less than comfortable with and then set the text scaling factor a little higher than 1.

Unfortunately the roadmap item to remove control of panel / menu font sizes from the Cinnamon Desktop theme and add them to the GUI is still pending. :(

For my themes I'm planning on building a little tweak tool / script to allow end users to set a preferred base font size for the Cinnamon Desktop theme, but unfortunately not all current themes would play nicely with such a tool.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Pjotr wrote:
All the how-to's on my website have been modified (wherever necessary) for Tina:
...you might want to rewrite / modify the section for iwlwifi at some point,
and instead point to linux-firmware's git directly (as suggested by the devs there as well).
Following the current instructions there now, someone has a strong chance of actually removing firmware files,
and thereby ending up then just copying over even older ones (i've further pm-ed you with a real-life example to get an idea).

Most people at best case scenario would only come up with a few tutorials every now & then,
and most likely born out of their own personal need at some point down the road...
Providing extensive step-by-step instructions for what is way more than just a couple of tasks,
is something that i truly appreciate - i would absolutely never ever have such patience myself.
gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:42 am
Pjotr wrote:
...i've literally had 2 posts removed for essentially saying the same thing in this thread here.
With that in mind, I simply won't bother myself helping anyone experiencing issues on newer hardware under 19.2, simple as that. :wink:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm

thx-1138 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm
With that in mind, I simply won't bother myself helping anyone experiencing issues on newer hardware under 19.2, simple as that. :wink:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As Pjotr rightly said in the other thread, Mint can expect to lose a number of new users on new hardware to Ubuntu 18.04.3 because of that. Oh well, not our decision...

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks for your feedback and improvement tips! I'll look into it.... :)

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:31 pm

Been using 19.2 beta with 5.0 since it was put on one of the mirrors. no issues yet.

Are your PPAs replacing standard ones or are they in "addition to"?
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
ASUS GTX 660 - 2Gb / Driver Nvidia 390.116
Linux Mint 19.2 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-23-generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 500Gb SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:34 pm

Pjotr wrote:

Have fun! :)

About Tina: you'll love it. My personal favourite improvements: the new fonts and their rendering are remarkably better than their predecessors. Furthermore, Update Manager (mintupdate) has been extended with some useful features (mainly thanks to the efforts of our fellow forum member gm10).

It's a slick, well-polished release, in conformity with the high quality standards we've come to expect from the Mint dev team.

Just one major drawback: Tina still features the 4.15 kernel series by default, which means that it won't be installable on very new hardware. The 4.18 kernel series, or even the 5.0 kernel series, is better suited for brand-new hardware. Owners of shiny new stuff will probably need to switch to Ubuntu 18.04.3 with its default 5.0 kernel (expected release date: today).
The UBuntu 18.04.3 kernel can be installed in Mint 19.2?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:42 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:34 pm
Yes, of course.... But installing Mint itself will become a problem on very new hardware.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:42 pm
deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:34 pm
Yes, of course.... But installing Mint itself will become a problem on very new hardware.
I see. I don't think there is a way to get a new kernel 5.x on a Mint 19.2 live USB.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm

gm10 wrote:
On talking Update Manager, be aware that your tips for changing the Synaptic configuration to influence Update Manager will not work anymore in 19.2 for Update Manager in 19.2 ignores Synaptic's configuration.
What tips of mine do you specifically mean? I can't find any.... What am I overlooking?

By the way: I also quite like the option to queue actions in mintupdate's kernel tool. That's an efficient time saver. Also the dialog for mass kernel removal is clearer now: "Please confirm the following actions". Nice job.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm
gm10 wrote:
On talking Update Manager, be aware that your tips for changing the Synaptic configuration to influence Update Manager will not work anymore in 19.2 for Update Manager in 19.2 ignores Synaptic's configuration.
What tips of mine do you specifically mean? I can't find any.... What am I overlooking?
e.g. here: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ml#ID1.2.1
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm
By the way: I also quite like the option to queue actions in mintupdate's kernel tool. That's an efficient time saver. Also the dialog for mass kernel removal is clearer now: "Please confirm the following actions". Nice job.
Cheers. The thing is I was originally actually against the additional complexity of supporting doing multiple things at once other than the mass removal, so that's all you got for 19.1 (which was already a major improvement at the time I guess). But I changed my mind a bit later and added the queue buttons, and they have been quite useful on occasion. The path to enlightenment is a long, winding road, so enjoy the detours. ;)

By the way, it's now been 4 months that I've been doing my own thing and I'm seriously starting to lose track about what features made it into 19.2 and which are only in my versions of the tools, so I'll probably have to refer to your guide eventually myself to learn about the features of the official version. :lol:

So keep up the good work!

PS: Surprised 19.2 didn't get announced yet. Tomorrow then, I suppose.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm

gm10 wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
Great job as always!
Pjotr wrote:
Furthermore, Update Manager (mintupdate) has been extended with some useful features (mainly thanks to the efforts of our fellow forum member gm10).
Shameless plug: And yet it's an ancient version compared to what's on my PPA, which, of course, will be compatible with 19.2 and remains compatible to all other 19.x releases.

On talking Update Manager, be aware that your tips for changing the Synaptic configuration to influence Update Manager will not work anymore in 19.2 for Update Manager in 19.2 ignores Synaptic's configuration. I did that both to work around a bug with Synaptic ignoring command line parameters and because it makes no sense to configure the behaviour of Update Manager in another application. Sorry! ;) apt's configuration still applies though, of course.

While I was looking over your tips, some feedback if that's ok:

A note on the 10 first things to do in MATE: Add a weather report to the panel - rather than add the applet you suggest you can also right click the clock > Preferences and tick the box for Show weather. The weather will be shown left of the clock. Better than having to manage an additional applet IMHO.

On your mintupdate page I saw: the kernel team of Linus Torvalds also uses the terms "LTS kernel" and "ordinary kernel" - actually they don't use either, they use mainline, stable or longterm, and technically also prepatch/rc, but in reality that's the same as mainline (see https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html).

Your section Solutions for 28 bugs in Linux Mint 19.2 has content like changing the login window background. Pretty liberal use of the word "bug" if I may say so. :lol:

That same section mentions downloading a signing key a few times: Just to mention that I added functionality to Software Sources to Add missing keys. Or rather Clem added that from an old pull request of mine after I had left, and which still had a few bugs. My PPA has a fully working version, of course. ;)
Pjotr wrote:
Kernel 5.0 has its own problems, from freenode IRC today
the latest from #ubuntu-devel: <gaughen> Apologies all, the [18.04.3] point release is delayed. it will not happen today, there were issues found in kernel testing.
9:47 AM currently plans are to release on 2019-08-08, but this is pending confirmation.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:55 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:57 pm
Kernel 5.0 has its own problems, from freenode IRC today
the latest from #ubuntu-devel: <gaughen> Apologies all, the [18.04.3] point release is delayed. it will not happen today, there were issues found in kernel testing.
9:47 AM currently plans are to release on 2019-08-08, but this is pending confirmation.
OK, good to know.... I was already wondering.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:33 pm
OK... Well, that tip is only intended to instruct Synaptic "used as Synaptic" to install the recommends, and to influence mintinstall and apt as well, by modifying /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00recommends.

When any dependencies have been installed, surely mintupdate will update them? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. The isolation of mintupdate from Synaptic's settings should have no consequences then, in this respect.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 pm
gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:33 pm
OK... Well, that tip is only intended to instruct Synaptic "used as Synaptic" to install the recommends, and to influence mintinstall and apt as well, by modifying /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00recommends.
Oh my bad, I admit I had just scanned over the pages and there was Update Manager in the heading and I just remembered that mintupdate change. I may have seen a mention elsewhere but probably not - don't mind me. ;)
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:59 pm
When any dependencies have been installed, surely mintupdate will update them? If so, there shouldn't be a problem. The isolation of mintupdate from Synaptic's settings should have no consequences then, in this respect.
Yes, and if a new dependency has recommends those should be installed if you did the apt change above. Even without apt configuration during automatic updates if those are so configured - here I'm not sure if the official version has the options in the GUI?
But mintupdate-cli has the option either way (only reason I put it in the GUI at all - although mostly because Clem didn't want me to remove the options at the time, although I consider many of them unnecessary - who in their right mind does automatic updates only for kernel updates? like really?), so someone may use it in their old cron job (I know 19.2 did get my switch from cron to systemd at least).
Last edited by gm10 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:16 am

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID2.4

I haven't needed to do this with fresh 19.2 fresh installs so far. I've only done 2 though... :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”