Going Independent

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mint2019

Going Independent

Post by Mint2019 »

why doesn't the linux mint team just ditch Ubuntu and roll Thier own like Solus and Fedora did? like i mean become it's own distro not based off anything, wouldn't it make sense?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Going Independent

Post by lsemmens »

Are you good at writing code? I'd suggest that Clem, et. al. already have enough on their plate without having to write another Kernel.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

think about this. you're a contractor building houses and you're good at it. so someone says to you, hey why don't you eliminate home depot and harvest your own lumber, create and mix your own paint, smelt the nails and screws used for holding it all together. while you're at it why not get rid of your family and genetically design your own :mrgreen:

personally i'd like to see an arch based mint distribution.
Hexeratops

Post by Hexeratops »

I think that might be a bit much to ask for. Especially with regards to package compatibility, it's easier to be based on another desktop environment so you can take advantage of the software that's already packaged and available. Debian boasts having over 59,000 packages and I believe this is an area Solus struggles a little with. I am watching LMDE with interest though.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Mint2019 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:45 pmwhy doesn't the linux mint team just ditch Ubuntu and roll Thier own like Solus and Fedora did?
What? Independ? You made my day!
https://getfedora.org/sponsors/
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

trytip wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 pm think about this. you're a contractor building houses and you're good at it. so someone says to you, hey why don't you eliminate home depot and harvest your own lumber, create and mix your own paint, smelt the nails and screws used for holding it all together. while you're at it why not get rid of your family and genetically design your own :mrgreen:

Ha Ha--I love this answer, made me smile, but true.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

trytip wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 pm <snip>
Manjaro already does exactly that very well. I have been trying the Manjaro Cinnamon DE spin on my laptop, and it is excellent, noticeably faster than Mint. I still use Mint on my main desktop, as I trust the stability more.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Mint2019 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:45 pm why doesn't the linux mint team just ditch Ubuntu and roll Thier own like Solus and Fedora did?

trytip wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 pm think about this. you're a contractor building houses and you're good at it. so someone says to you, hey why don't you eliminate home depot and harvest your own lumber, create and mix your own paint, smelt the nails and screws used for holding it all together.
We sort of did this back in the 60s with the development of manned spaceflight. Unlike engineers of today, they did it all with slide rules, long-hand math, precision hand-drawn blueprints, and tens of thousands of man hours poured into just development and testing alone of largely never done before parts and materials fabrication.

Know you nothing of forking code, sir? :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

We sort of did this back in the 60s with the development of manned spaceflight. Unlike engineers of today, they did it all with slide rules, long-hand math, precision hand-drawn blueprints, and tens of thousands of man hours poured into just development and testing alone of largely never done before parts and materials fabrication
Yep--I remember--btdt Does log log duplex decitrig ring a bell?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Mint2019 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:45 pm why doesn't the linux mint team just ditch Ubuntu and roll Thier own like Solus and Fedora did? like i mean become it's own distro not based off anything, wouldn't it make sense?
First, we need to look a bit into the history of open-source GNU/Linux started by Richard Stallman in the 1980s to get away from closed-source or proprietary but noob-friendly desktop Windows and MacOSX. GNU/Linux was a project started by techgeeks for techgeeks who wanted to avoid Windows and MacOSX = GNU/Linux was not meant for noobs. So, naturally, the first established Linux distro in 1993, ie Debian, could only be run by tech-geeks, eg lots of CLI needed. It needed > 100 developers to start the Debian Project. Today, Debian has about 1,000 active developers.

From the 1990s to 2000s, noobs and ordinary/average users avoided desktop Linux like the plague.

Since FOSS or GPL allows free/libre software modification or forking, Ubuntu, a fork based on Debian, came along in 2004 = the Ubuntu Project required less developers by piggy-backing on Debian. Then in 2006, Linux Mint came along to piggy-back on Ubuntu = the LM Project required even less developers. Both Ubuntu and LM also could only be run by techgeeks.
....... Only at around 2012, ie starting with Ubuntu 12.04(= LM 16), was Ubuntu developed to become as noob-friendly as Windows and MacOS, ie many GUI tools and apps/programs, and CLI may not be needed at all. LM benefited a lot from this change by Ubuntu, ie becoming even more popular than Ubuntu in 2016.

So, it is quite impossible for the less resourceful LM Team to roll their own "mainline/upstream" Solus, Fedora or Debian.

If the LM Team wants to ditch Ubuntu, she can spend more resources to make a new distro that is as noob-friendly as Ubuntu but based on LMDE (= LM based on Debian), or piggy-back on MX-Linux or Sparkylinux which are also noob-friendly LTS distros based on Debian like Ubuntu.

Apart from the mainline Debian Project which has the LTS or Stable Releases, there are also Archlinux(= started in 2002) and Fedora(= started by Red Hat in 2003) which are Rolling Releases, ie not LTS Releases. It's unlikely that the LM Team would want to piggy-back on Rolling Releases like the Archlinux/Manjaro and Fedora/Korora Projects.
Mint2019

Post by Mint2019 »

if that's the case the why does the Mint team support LM19 until 2023 instead of 2028 as per Ubuntu 18.04LTS? would it not make sense for them to match Ubuntu's support cycle?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Mint2019 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 am if that's the case the why does the Mint team support LM19 until 2023 instead of 2028 as per Ubuntu 18.04LTS? would it not make sense for them to match Ubuntu's support cycle?
Don't think so. :shock:

Imagine the effort needed to maintain the Mint-only repo's for that long, let alone the Universe and Multiverse repo's.... And that for probably just a tiny fraction of its users, because Mint doesn't aim at corporate users. It would be insanely inefficient.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Mint2019 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:56 am if that's the case the why does the Mint team support LM19 until 2023 instead of 2028 as per Ubuntu 18.04LTS? would it not make sense for them to match Ubuntu's support cycle?
Only paid support for Ubuntu 18.04 will allow it to be used past it's free EOL of April 2023, ie from May 2023 to 2028. This is under the Ubuntu Advantage program, usually subscribed by enterprises running Ubuntu Server 18.04 and/or Ubuntu (Desktop) 18.04. There is no LM Server edition.
....... Canonical Ltd-Ubuntu also competes against Red Hat Inc-RHEL in the Linux enterprise market = 10 years of support. Red Hat charges subscriptions for the whole 10 years of support. Canonical only charges for the last 5 years of support. But RHEL is better than Ubuntu Server. Such support include full tech support via remote connection or on-premises visits by employees of Red Hat or Canonical.

Similarly, M$ will provide expensive paid support for Win 7 Ent past it's free EOL of Jan 2020, ie from Feb 2020 to Jan 2023 = 10 years of free support and 3 years of paid support for the enterprises, ie support for feature and/or security updates, and superficial online support which can include remote connection. OTOH, buying Win 7 Ent Volume Licenses post-2009 was very expensive. M$ charges extra for full tech support for those 13 years, which can include on-premises visits by employees of M$.
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 am, edited 5 times in total.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

:roll:

Just be happy for what you really have ...
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

jglen490 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 pm :roll:

Wise words. This is a dumb whining thread; I'm already sorry that I've posted in it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
roncraig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roncraig »

jglen490 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:35 pm :roll:

Love my LM Cinnamon :) And yes, I am very appreciative for what I have.

I do think Clem nailed it when they released LMDE though. Now all that's left is to get away from Ubuntu and move to LMDE full-time.
Kernel: 5.15.0-33
DE: Cinnamon
Mobo: ASRock model: X299 Taichi CLX
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Memory: 64GB
Mint2019

Post by Mint2019 »

I am very happy with Linux mint, I simply posted the thread because I was curious as to why the support is only until 2023, my question was answered very well
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

To quote an old truism : ´EASIER SAID THAN DONE´

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”