What do you like about mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Phiver
Level 1
Level 1

What do you like about mint?

Post by Phiver » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 pm

Hello everybody. I'm new here. I started an intro thread earlier today and had a few warm welcomes. Thanks everybody.

Ok so, on to my main point:

I have been a windows user for years, but dislike it more and more with every new edition. So far, I like mints simplicity. I feel like when I tell it to do something, it just does it. Using windows is sometimes like arguing with a child, you have to tell it time and again to listen, but it just wont do what you tell it. It's stubborn like that.
I did think that Mint would be more customizable than I have so far found it to be, but maybe I just have more to learn about it. Not a complaint by any means, just an observation.

What do you mint users like about mint? Did you come from MAC or PC? Do you dual boot or use Mint exclusively? How long have you been using mint?

Looking forward to hearing your answers!

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What do you like bout mint?

Post by JoeFootball » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:32 am

Phiver wrote: What do you mint users like about mint?
I like that it "just works" (usually), and I really appreciate the community.
Phiver wrote: Did you come from MAC or PC?
I never left the PC architecture. :) Though prior to Linux, I was on Windows XP.
Phiver wrote: Do you dual boot or use Mint exclusively?
I multi-boot to several Linux systems. LM is my daily driver, usually Cinnamon or Xfce depending on the computer. But I do like to try out other distros just to see what they're like.
Phiver wrote: How long have you been using mint?
Since LM 2.2 in 2007. Prior to that, I had some experience with Unix/BSD/Linux in college and work, but I started with Linux at home in 1999 with Debian 2.1, then Red Hat 6.1, then Ubuntu 5.04, then pretty much LM thereafter.

Joe

EmaRsk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What do you like bout mint?

Post by EmaRsk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:56 am

I use macOS at work, and both Windows 10 and Linux on my personal laptop. I've been using Linux for almost two decades, and had my fair share of distro-hopping, including the "geeky" ones like Slackware, Gentoo, Arch, LFS, … (the only "big" one I never tried, for some reason, is Suse). I settled on Mint for a couple of years now, I think, or maybe a bit more.

For me, Mint's main selling points are:
  • It works. Its default install is sane, feature-rich and polished, its art and themes are pleasant, its tools and DEs are well designed. With other distros, I grew tired of having to configure everything because the defaults make no sense or don't work at all or the themes are ugly, or have to hunt and download the drivers for common pieces of hardware, or the codecs for the most common media formats in the world. Sometimes I still like to fiddle with the configuration (often, actually), but sometimes I just want to use my computer to actually do something.
  • It hits a nice sweet spot between stable and current software. I don't want to choose between having ancient software and having to deal with time-consuming constant upgrade management with the risk of breakage at every moment. (With flatpak, snap and brew, this is becoming less important than in the past, but it's still a factor.)
  • It's based on Ubuntu, which means that it benefits from its huge community and that most software is available either in the official repos or in a PPA.
By the way, Mint is as about as customizable as any Linux other distro: for example, you can install any desktop environment - or plain window manager - if Cinnamon/Mate/Xfce don't satisfy your needs. You just need to know what you're doing once you start digging deep enough (as with any other Linux distro).

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Re: What do you like about mint?

Post by Portreve » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:39 am

As someone who comes from decades of being a Macintosh platform user, I like that it is ultimately based on the Debian range of GNU+Linux distros, and that the project took up the mantel of the very Mac OS / Mac OS X like Gnome 2 desktop environment. I don't really get why people think Gnome 2.x and Cinnamon are Windows-like more than they are Mac OS Finder-like.

Anyhow, I need stability and a UI which is naturally intuitive instead of simply being oriented to the tinkerer/geek-set. For me, LM fits the bill 100%.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3

Post by smgordon1259 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:45 am

Many Reasons

1. FREE
2. Great support system
3. Security and system updates happen more frequently than most OSes
4. Easy to learn
5. No BSOD
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
ASUS GTX 660 - 2Gb / Driver Nvidia 390.116
Linux Mint 19.2 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-23-generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 500Gb SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:56 am

Been using Windows since Win3.11 days. Was on XP and started using Ubuntu as a fall back, when Vista came out. Changed to Mint when Ubuntu got away from Gnome2. Changed to Mate when Mint split to Cinnamon/Mint/Xfce, still prefer Gnome2 style DE due to its similarity to XP/Win7.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Jeronimus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jeronimus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:31 pm

I have come from Mac (though I have not entirely left that platform, even though my desktop Mac Mini and MacBook Air are in the advanced autumnal phase of their lives).

I really like LM primarily for the libertarian ideology it represents.

Also it broadens the hardware options, which are now very restricted on Mac and encourages reuse of older stuff, which is a good thing.

Of all the operating system stuff that I really like so far, I would say multiple workspaces accessible through hotcorners. This is just like how I set up the Macs.

I am using LM for photography as well as words. I am astonished by Darktable and I am getting to grips with Gimp (I have Affinity Photo on the Mac desktop).

LM is proving to be a perfectly practical, secure and reliable alternative to what I did in Mac OS. I am Google dependent for Mail, Calendar and Contacts, as I have always found the Mac versions of these cumbersome. They are brilliant apps, but I am having to hope that Google does not do evil, like they promised.

I am a non-Geek, but I use Wordpress for my websites, so it amazes me that an open source OS is not a huge sector.

I think it will come, as the commercial software favours subscription and control - and the ease and beauty of alternatives like LM become better known.

So my message to dithering Mac users is, give it a try. It is a serious work alternative.
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. Lenovo ThinkPad T450. Dell Inspiron 6400. Rapid Photo Downloader. Darktable. Gimp. Chrome stuff.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:52 pm

It would be easier to say what I don't like about MINT.

NOTHING!!!!!
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:43 pm

Phiver wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:59 pm
What do you mint users like about mint?
I like I didn't not notice it presence.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:56 pm

What do I like about Mint ? Everything and the best part is it has nothing to do with Micro$oft. Image :D :D

What I find very funny is a Newbie coming from Windoze where Micro$oft wont allow you to do anything saying..."Mint should be more customizable". Image :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Phiver wrote:
Anyone who knows me, either here or "in real life" will be quick to point out I don't normally give short answers. Prior experiences here have also taught me to label my posts with the warning that I sometimes come off more abrasive or snooty — or even downright arrogant — than I actually intend. That all said, here goes...

I come from the Macintosh platform, though I am experienced with many others as I cut my teeth on computer technology back when computing was not a binary choice (Apple or Microsoft).

I had actually become disillusioned with the technology industry a long time ago, along with the changing face of the computer-using public, and my initial interest in GNU+Linux had less to do with F/OSS software and more to do with the enthusiast-driven nature of its user community.

As Apple, along with seemingly everyone else in the tech sector, became all about use exploitation and monetary extraction, I started to see whole other areas of the F/OSS ecosystem, and over a period of time I came to realize that was where I truly belonged.

I think you misperceive the nature of Linux Mint, based on your comments. LM is not a source, but rather a pedigree. It would be nothing without the efforts of a multitude of forerunners. To answer your question as phrased is too limiting, but if we're going to start with that question, then my answer would be:

1. The Cinnamon D.E.
2. Clem & Co.'s specific choices vis a vis design and execution of their particular fork of GNU+Linux

You'll notice I specifically did not include the LM community. That's because they didn't draw me to this distro, but they certainly are a factor in why I remain here. People like GM10, Pjotr, Catweasel, and Moem — to name just four — are some of the finest, friendliest, and nicest distro users you can find.

If we back out a bit further than your question asks, Debian's own tastes in distro design and configuration, as well as a lot of Ubuntu's, goes into what makes Mint great.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greencedar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:04 am

I enjoy the freedom from a domineering organization in my computing experience.
Greencedar

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Phiver wrote:
I like Linux because it is more stable and secure than Windows, and I find it is more flexible than Windows and MacOS. What I like the most about Linux Mint is community - the forum is one of the friendliest and most helpful I have found. I also like the direction the developers are taking with LM.
Did you come from MAC or PC?
PC, mostly. I started with an XT-clone with a NEC V20, 640k RAM, two 5.25-in floppy drives, CGA card and an amber monochrome monitor, and MS-DOS 3.0. My introduction to Windows was when came bundled with a new mouse, but I stuck with DESQView and GEM until Windows 3.1. Migrated to OS/2 and then later to WinXP.

I switched to Linux when WinXP reached EOL in 2014.
Do you dual boot or use Mint exclusively?
I have not had a dual-boot system since 2016, and I removed it because I rarely used it. Today, I use Linux exclusively ... almost. I have a Win7 virtual machine on another system, but I have not used it in over a year.

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:10 am

Stability is good strong point in Mint, since my first two install times I didn't need to install Mint again and yesterday I upgraded to Mint Tina online simply and with no cost of much time for my limited internet connection, I upgraded other packages too offered by Update Manager, I liked OS like this, many of time I'm busy in many thoughts and I've no time to think and focus in OS, so if the OS is so stable, it won't disorder my thinking.

But there's still a point, I didn't yet test Mint under heavy work, in fact, I'll test it when I learn software need high abilities of the OS for long time.

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:46 am

It's free.
It works.

It's nothing special.
It's another Linux Distro.

I prefer LMDE over the standard Linux Mint versions best of both worlds.
Can't go wrong whatever Linux Mint version you choose they all work OK.

natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by natch_gazziza » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:39 pm

The fact that with this operating system I can learn at my own pace, plus I can make it look as good as I want. More generally, the fact that I have access to multiple sources of thousands of pieces of software to do pretty much anything, which are all more or less guaranteed to be free of malware and with fewer bugs. And... It's free!

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:13 am

Stability
I ain't afraid of updates, because most of the time Mint has got me covered.

Out-of-the-Box Experience
With every Mint Release, I prefer flattening my drive (formatting). Apps, music players, network and graphics drivers get installed in there automatically anyway. Yes, I have my files backed up before that.

Pragmatic
Most of us are FOSS people, but Mint generally doesn't mind letting you have those proprietary stuff... especially if you really need them.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”