Linux Mint 19.2 - Issues

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Fernando745
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 19.2 - Issues

Post by Fernando745 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Hello, this is my first time posting in this forum. I couldn't guess which was the right section for this kind of bugs, so if this is not the correct one, my apologies.

Let's go ahead... recently, since I updated to Linux Mint 19.2 via Software Updater, I've noticed some issues in the environment and functionality of the operating system. The main one and most noticeable happens when you lock your computer; when you try to relogin, password is not visible. However, it somehow works and you can enter the desktop if you type it correctly (although you can't see it).

The second one, on the other hand, is related to codecs availability or compatibility in the new Linux Mint version. The web browser called "Opera" does not work right after the update; no matter what, I've tried to reinstall chromium important codecs, aswell as the extra ones and it hasn't worked. To clarify, the concrete problem is that it can't be used to watch some videos (for instance, the Facebook ones), unlike Mozilla Firefox which works perfectly (even after the update). I believe there's something wrong with the codecs version and needs to be up to date in the Software Manager (Opera is already). Currently, I haven't noticed anything else, apart from that it works perfectly.

I tend to use Opera often, and not seeing letters as you type them in the login password box is something to worry about. Hopefully you can fix them as soon as possible. Thank you for your support.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Mint 19.2 - Issues

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Welcome to the LinuxMint forum Fernando,

That you cant see your password is a good thing in my opinion. In the terminal you cant even see an asterisk (*) at all, when I type my password. It's a safety measure. Some websites do offer the possibility to show your password when you type it, but most I know of dont offer that possibility. Fortunately it worked for you anyway :D

You can choose to install Opera software and it will work, but you have to understand that it's compatibility with the LinuxMint OS is not of the same level as it is for Firefox or Chromium.

If you choose to install external software that has less or no support from LinuxMint you (sometimes) have to reckon / deal with with (some small) irregularities.

There probably will be an (easy) fix available though for your problem, provided to you by one of the many experienced and friendly forum members, but I like to play it easy. I just go with the standard browser software offered by LinuxMint, which are Firefox and Chromium. All the other browsers are basically copies of both them anyway. Dont wanna consider Microsoft as an alternative...
Last edited by carum carvi on Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajgringo619
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ajgringo619 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Fernando745 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:01 pm
The second one, on the other hand, is related to codecs availability or compatibility in the new Linux Mint version. The web browser called "Opera" does not work right after the update; no matter what, I've tried to reinstall chromium important codecs, aswell as the extra ones and it hasn't worked. To clarify, the concrete problem is that it can't be used to watch some videos (for instance, the Facebook ones), unlike Mozilla Firefox which works perfectly (even after the update). I believe there's something wrong with the codecs version and needs to be up to date in the Software Manager (Opera is already). Currently, I haven't noticed anything else, apart from that it works perfectly.

I tend to use Opera often, and not seeing letters as you type them in the login password box is something to worry about. Hopefully you can fix them as soon as possible. Thank you for your support.
I put the blame totally on Opera for this. I've used - and later given up on - Opera twice over this exact same issue. And it doesn't just happen on Mint, either; the Opera forums are full of complaints about this. It's a great browser otherwise - fast, clean, and much better on Android. But this video issue makes Opera a complete non-starter for me. As carum carvi mentioned, Firefox and Chromium get the job done.
Mint 19.2 XFCE
kernel 4.15.0-64-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM (435.21)

Fernando745
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fernando745 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 am

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:29 pm
That you cant see your password is a good thing in my opinion. In the terminal you cant even see an asterisk (*) at all, when I type my password. It's a safety measure. Some websites do offer the possibility to show your password when you type it, but most I know of dont offer that possibility. Fortunately it worked for you anyway :D
Well, didn't thought of that purpose. However, maybe I didn't explain myself correctly; I was referring to seeing the asterisks (*), not the actual password, just to know if at least you're typing something. Despite the fact that the terminal doesn't have that feature, you see the cursor blinking so that you know you're actually writing. As I see it, the best option would be to implement the same system; we keep the safety measures, but also letting the user know whether his keystrokes are being registered or not (currently, it seems you can't even select the box with the mouse, looks like the system is locked, but as I said it worked somehow).

As for the Opera topic, I've found a solution that might fix the problem. As far as I'm concerned, you need to install Chromium browser and then replace the file libffmpeg.so in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera with the Chromium one in its directory. Gonna try to see if it solves the problem... The worst part of this is that Opera works flawlessly in Windows, but not in Linux (didn't know the distributions range was pretty wide as AJ Gringo said, not just LM) Thanks for replying.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

Judging from the number of threads I've seen on this forum (and ubuntuforums before) on Opera I think it seems to be a very troublesome program with poor Linux support.

I installed it once (in WIndows 7) and in the process it made itself the default program for opening jpegs, among other things. Even by WIndows standards that seemed appalling.

I immediately uninstalled it and will never again touch it.

If you want a chromium based Linux browser that actually works well try Vivaldi.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Fernando745 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 am
I was referring to seeing the asterisks (*), not the actual password, just to know if at least you're typing something. Currently, it seems you can't even select the box with the mouse, looks like the system is locked, but as I said it worked somehow).
Oh, I understand your complaint better now. Yes, not seeing any asterisks can be quite confusing. In the System Settings / Administration / Users and Groups one can make a password visible. I have LM19.2 Cinnamon. I havent tested it myself, but the setting clearly shows the option " show password".

Fernando745 wrote:
As for the Opera topic, I've found a solution that might fix the problem. As far as I'm concerned, you need to install Chromium browser and then replace the file libffmpeg.so in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera with the Chromium one in its directory.
That would be great if you found a solution Fernando. Please report back in both cases, when your solution did or didnt solve the problem. Your tip will help others!
Last edited by carum carvi on Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Opera are notorious for packaging the wrong library version once in a while, but otherwise the browser works fine (if you like what they did to it after they started using chromium...).
carum carvi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:00 pm
Fernando745 wrote:
As for the Opera topic, I've found a solution that might fix the problem. As far as I'm concerned, you need to install Chromium browser and then replace the file libffmpeg.so in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera with the Chromium one in its directory.
That would be great if you found a solution Fernando. Please report back in both cases, when your solution did or didnt solve the problem. Your tip will help others!
Yes, that will work, but you don't need all of chromium, just the codecs. You don't even need to install them, see my old post here (match the codecs version to your Opera's Chromium version, see opera://about): viewtopic.php?p=1486521#p1486521
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

mintxavi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintxavi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi guys
In the forums of opera a user called Bombacha proposes the following solution for Facebook videos (not permanent, apply after each update)

Download the last libffmpeg from here and unzip it.

https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg- ... tag/0.39.2

Install in the Opera directory, click in the upper left corner on the Opera logo and About Opera, look at its Opera installation path, in Debian it is in / usr / lib / x86_64-linux-gnu / opera

Copy libffmpeg.so to that route with:
sudo cp libffmpeg.so / usr / lib / x86_64-linux-gnu / opera

Restart Opera

I personally check the solution and it works ... in my case I decompressed and copied in:

sudo cp libffmpeg.so / usr / lib / x86_64-linux-gnu / opera

menu >>> help >>> about >>> (show your directories)

feliz dia a todos

Fernando745
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fernando745 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Thank you for your support; Opera works with both the Chromium file and the .zip/.targz as mintxavi and gm10 posted above. To clarify: download the libffmpeg.so file or get it from usr/lib/chromium-browser, then copy it into usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera and finally restart the browser to solve it.

Let's see if the password problem is fixed, sometimes the asterisks (*) are visible so it might be random or after a certain period of time...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”