My appreciation of Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Kieutrang
Level 1
Level 1

My appreciation of Mint

Post by Kieutrang » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 am

I've been looking for a way to escape Windows for years. I've tried various flavors of Linux in the past, but was never satisfied with the user-friendliness of them. I grew up starting with MS-DOS 2.11 being the first OS I ever used. (Yes, I'm old) I suffered through Windows 3.11, Win95, 98, XP (XP was actually the best OS they ever had), and Windows 2000. Never messed with Vista or 7. In 2006 I escaped Windows via MacOS X and was very happy with the user interface. Beautiful operating system. Never any issues. I still did much work with Windows (my job at the time), but I always looked forward to coming home and getting on the Mac.

I then started to get fed up with Apple forcing people to move to new machines because their OS no longer supported older hardware. Observing their business model and the way that they support users, this was understandable but highly frustrating. In 2015 I decided to go retro and build my own PC. (I'm still in tech but hadn't built a PC in 10 or so years.) I fitted it with Windows 8 and immediately began searching for a Linux dual-boot alternative

deck_luck
Level 3
Level 3

Re: My appreciation of Mint

Post by deck_luck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:22 am

I agree with your comments about Linux. The current Linux desktop distros are far more user friendly than back in the day. I think most people will be pleasantly surprised at how much the modern Linux desktop distros have accomplished. The Linux Mint distro is probably the best choice for most new Linux users.

I hope you have an enjoyable new adventure using Linux Mint, and welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:41 am

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your Mont experience.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Swampthing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Swampthing » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

Kieutrang wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 am
(XP was actually the best OS they ever had)
Totally 100% agree! XP was beautiful and easy to use. Although I was always nervous about those damn viruses.
Kieutrang wrote:
In 2006 I escaped Windows via MacOS X and was very happy with the user interface. Beautiful operating system. Never any issues.
I escaped to MacOs last year and still loving it.
I primarily use it for Xcode and Logic Pro X, and as a daily driver next to my Mint machine.
And when I can't upgrade MacOs anymore, LM will be the primary OS on my iMac.
Hopefully 5K iMacs will be supported by then.

Welcome to the LM forum!
I'm also new and studying Linux daily to be able to use it as a primary OS when the time comes.

deck_luck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deck_luck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Swampthing wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

I am in the same situation with my MacBookPro. Once they decided to stop OSX support or the hardware dies, I will be using Linux exclusively. Even though I enjoy using OS X, the Apple eco system is just too expensive.
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

natch_gazziza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by natch_gazziza » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Kieutrang wrote:
XP was actually the best OS they ever had
XP usually used to crash on me a few minutes in, if I moved the mouse or pressed a key during boot. It would often just crash for no reason whatsoever. Not to mention the viruses. I was pretty young then, but I think that still counts as the wild west internet? I always thought that Windows 7 was the best. It rarely crashed and didn't actively spy on me.

Swampthing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Swampthing » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:26 am

deck_luck wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm
Swampthing wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:32 pm

I am in the same situation with my MacBookPro. Once they decided to stop OSX support or the hardware dies, I will be using Linux exclusively. Even though I enjoy using OS X, the Apple eco system is just too expensive.
Yeah, it can be expensive, especially because its (too) easy to buy apps, movies, and music.
I think I'll buy used macs from now on, if I need to use MacOs.
But the Linux enviroment is too intriguing to ignore and its definatly that route I will follow in my future.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”