"Laptop too powerful for linux"

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michael louwe

Re: "Laptop too powerful for linux"

Post by michael louwe »

majpooper wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 pm It's wrong because the Big Box either did not have any laptops available with linux or would rather sell something with Windows - I really don't know if there are incentives to sell Windows laptops and PCs vs ones with linux installed - I suppose probably though.
It is the same reason many business software and AAA games are not available for desktop Linux, ie because of desktop Linux's very low world market share of about 2%. IOW, it's a waste of company resources and little ROI to sell new computers and software/apps/games for desktop Linux. It's also the same reason why Win 10 Mobile died.

Desktop Linux was developed by techgeeks for techgeeks to tinker with, because they could not tinker with closed-source Windows 3.1 and MacOSX. So, desktop Linux, by its birth, "genetically" does not seek to be popular in the world market but tinkerable or customizable/forkable. So, blame desktop Linux and her developers for the above buyers' dilemma.
.That is a good thing - Keeps the target surface small less than 2% even better - I want Windows to be a fat juicy target so they ignore me.
Same reason most hackers do not target desktop Linux.
Last edited by michael louwe on Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:55 pm From 2.21 % to 1.72 % in a year. A slight slide. But I hereby predict an increase because of the upcoming demise of Windows 7. :mrgreen:
It's a nonsense figure, like distrowatch numbers. It's already back to 2.14.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

That sales man's arrogance is rubbing me the wrong way. He is basically saying "You shouldn't install a 'Toy OS' to such a 'professional machine' like this!"
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

At least they have the Major to straighten them out about it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 am At least they have the Major to straighten them out about it.
or Spearmint2
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

the implication is that a crappy $700 laptop with a cheap CPU and 4-8G of RAM and a tiny HDD is too powerful and therefore cannot run linux is bs
My last 'crappy' laptop cost me $120 and came with an i5-3320M, 8G RAM, 500G HDD and no OS. I paid $40 for a 240G SSD and put mint on it and moved the HDD into the ultrabay ($20 for the caddy) as a backup drive. Why so cheap - because I bought a second hand Thinkpad T430. Performance with Mint - more than adequate, it will even run win10 okay. :) :)

The UK equivalent of the store with the bad advice would be Currys/PC World. I would never, ever, go into a one of their stores or any of their competitors and trust the advice of sales staff, nor would I ever buy a 'consumer grade' laptop.

I do have a desktop as well, i5-8400 + GTX1080 which I built myself, perhaps that's 'too powerful for linux' and I should downgrade to win10?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Maybe what the salesperson meant was that the laptop was overkill for running Linux, that you could get away with buying a much less powerful machine and still get good performance?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

murray wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm Maybe what the salesperson meant was that the laptop was overkill for running Linux, that you could get away with buying a much less powerful machine and still get good performance?
Possible lately with all the immigration that the sales person didn't have English as his native tongue, so it came out a bit strange?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Arrh, language and usage and meaning. A "can of worms" would be a good description.
"Overkill" would, as suggested, be the word to use, not "too powerful".

So how many words / options do we have? The first response in a Google search is -
Language Approx. no. of words
Slovak 200,000
Romanian 180,000
English 171,476
Russian 150,000

It is not as simple as this and a bit more digging questions "what makes a defined word".

This rates English as the most -
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/whi ... words.html

This quotes English with 500,000
https://blog.ititranslates.com/which-la ... t-in-words

These two point out things are complicated -
https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/language-most-words/
https://www.economist.com/johnson/2010/ ... vocabulary

Sorry, you probably didn't want to know all of that anyway.....!
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Right or wrong there is the idea afoot that Linux is a crutch O/S whereby you can flog marginal legacy computers beyond their best before date.
I have a couple of jurassic pcs running light Linux distros that certainly wouldn´t run any secure modern windows O/S.
They are capable of the rudimentary functionality that some people call ¨normal use¨ (emailing, web surfing, movie watching).
It seems to me that Linux does very well at both ends of the computer power spectrum enabling both miniscule and muscle machines.:mrgreen:
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

murray wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:22 pm Maybe what the salesperson meant was that the laptop was overkill for running Linux, that you could get away with buying a much less powerful machine and still get good performance?
I concur to this point of view. They would be probably rebuked later on, if overheard by the boss, for offering cheaper hardware and can only insinuate when speaking of cheaper options.
Minux1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm Right or wrong there is the idea afoot that Linux is a crutch O/S whereby you can flog marginal legacy computers beyond their best before date.
So true, just check the hardware specs of the machines some forum members here use with Cinnamon on. :mrgreen:
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Not long ago I went into a Computer store and said to the guy...I want an SSD Bracket...this guy didn't know what I was talking about. :roll:

The guy says...you don't need a Bracket...I had to explain to him that my Towers Drive bay is 3.5" and an SSD is 2.5"...so I need a Bracket and screws to hold it in...or do I use bloody sticky tape ? Image

This clown then says...we don't have any :roll: To which I replied...you have them advertised on the store's Web Site...don't worry I'll go somewhere else and this clown works on people's Computers...scary isn't it. Image Image Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I wonder if this guy ran into a sales person at a box store? Yes, I could imagine someone coming in for a cheap laptop and the sales man says, "You might be interested in this chromebook", but never telling him it didn't have windows on it. I could hear every misdirected dollar screaming out in his reply.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions ... tting-ssd/

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”