Firefox Lockwise password manager

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
rene
Level 11
Level 11

Firefox Lockwise password manager

Post by rene » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 am

This forum has seen a number of threads on password managers, Lastpass, Bitwarden, KeePassXC, ..., and I had personally during my last survey concluded that I wanted to wait and see what Firefox Lockbox, now Lockwise, was going to be. Lockwise has been available now officially as apps for Android and iOS and as a browser plug-in since I believe Firefox 67. Other than the mobile apps there's for desktop users not by itself much difference with syncing passwords through a Firefox account (which in fact is the mechanism for Lockwise as well: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ge ... x-lockwise) but the Firefox 69 which for me came in through Update Manager today adds a password generator, making things more interesting to start looking at.

For now, the password generator is experimental and frankly not a lot of use yet given that you can not configure it yet to, say, include special symbols. Moreover, while you can left-click a password field and see the suggested password if you do not yet have a login for the site stored, that doesn't seem to work when you do, and right-click password field -> Fill password -> Use a suggested password doesn't show said suggested password anyway. If the site displays it as asterisks that feels rather wonky.

Yet, I thought I'd still post the heads-up here. If you want to look at things, in Firefox visit about:config and set signon.generation.available to true. Preferences -> "Privacy & Security" -> "Logins and Passwords" -> "Ask to save logins and password for websites" will then have grown a suboption "Suggest and generate strong passwords" which you can enable.

If I'm not mistaken I earlier read that Lockwise was slated to replace the old Firefox password manager entirely within a few versions, and if it continues to grow features --- specifically, a configurable password generator and the ability to add custom fields to the password database for, say, secret questions and what have you --- then it'll be a definite competitor to the online managers, Lastpass, Bitwarden, ...

Perhaps time to start playing with it.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Firefox Lockwise password manager

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Might try that out to see how it works, but with 20+ years of LastPass, gonna be hard to make me switch :D

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Firefox Lockwise password manager

Post by rene » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 am

Wikipedia has LastPass' initial release in 2008 -- but I'll take your word for it :)

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”