Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Sell me on Mint!

Post by Portreve »

riverguy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:49 pm
Sell me on Mint!
You've never used Ubuntu, you only like using Linux Mint.

Oh, and get a Das Keyboard because... damn, dude.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

- 5 Reasons Why Linux Mint is Better Than Ubuntu.
The linked article is from 6 years ago and was last updated on 23 April 2019. Those 5 reasons may no longer be applicable, ie Ubuntu 18.04 vs LM 19.0.

Any latest link for the same.?
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

^ These are still valid 5 points... The 6.th reason I would add would be, no easy way to create a desktop shortcut to open documents. Instead, Ubuntu only offers a dummy template, demonstrating the way to create a *.desktop file.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:37 pm
Ubuntu is excellent, but Linux Mint has succeeded in improving it a bit.

Of course Linux Mint literally *is* Ubuntu LTS for over 90 %, but Mint has some nifty tools of its own and some smart modifications. And its own desktop environments, naturally. Coupled with a firm commitment to keeping the look and feel of those rather traditional desktops unchanged: you won't have to get used to an entirely new desktop every few years....

I always say: Ubuntu is desktop Linux for the lazy. Linux Mint is desktop Linux for the very lazy. And I happen to be extremely lazy. :mrgreen:
LOL, I agree. But Mint gives you a FULL version of Libre Office, not just the chunks that Ubuntu thinks you deserve. Also Mint is so easy to install (except on System 76 equipment apparently).
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

riverguy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:49 pm
... always looking for ways to make my time at a computer (several hours a day doing Website work, photo and other image work, writing, publishing . . . things like that). No games. just work that I happen to enjoy doing and always want to make it even better!
Based on your goals, there's no real selling point. I could move to other distros with those same goals in mind and the only thing I'll be doing is adjusting to their desktop environments and terminal commands... something that you already stated:

It's a mere difference in the workflow habits - and you have already stated that it's a "pointless" hassle.

The irony is that you want to try something new only to end up complaining about the new things while having the different distros offer the same old things you need.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

sphyrth wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:10 am
It's a mere difference in the workflow habits - and you have already stated that it's a "pointless" hassle.
True that, if he perceives that having new/more in workflow possibilities is pointless, what could you sell to such a closed mind? You can try, but the best it can do, is dwindle the best desktops, such as KDE or Cinnamon to naught, inferring, it's a pointless topic from it's very start.
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

michael louwe wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:56 am
- 5 Reasons Why Linux Mint is Better Than Ubuntu.
The linked article is from 6 years ago and was last updated on 23 April 2019. Those 5 reasons may no longer be applicable, ie Ubuntu 18.04 vs LM 19.0.

Any latest link for the same.?

I agree with the general consensus that there is no selling to be done here as it is totally subjective as to which is better Ubuntu or Mint. For me it came down to Unity vs. Cinnamon.

As an aside though, what surprised me most was that MATE uses more base memory than Cinnamon. That Unity uses more memory than Cinnamon is expected.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I've got this feeling the OP is just trolling. If you've been an Ubuntu (or any other Linux distro) user for that long, you would not need to create this type of thread.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

If that's how you feel, then it's always fine to ignore a thread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

Moem wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:07 pm
Or express one's opinion about a thread . . . . . right?
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

majpooper wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:50 pm
Moem wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:07 pm
Or express one's opinion about a thread . . . . . right?
If someone is trolling, then pointing that out is a way of giving them the attention they are craving.
If they're not, it's rude and unwelcoming to say that they are.

In either case, it's better not to. Not all opinions need to be shared.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Portreve's Top 7 Reasons The LinuxMint Project Is Better Than Ubuntu
  1. Ubuntu uses Gnome 3.x, LinuxMint uses Cinnamon
  2. Clem & Co. are the creators of Cinnamon, so the OOB user experience of Cinnamon on LM is by definition exactly as it was intended
  3. There's no unwanted corporate business tie-ins between LM and other companies which want to sell you stuff and exploit your identity for profit
  4. Cinnamon 4.x (and 3.x, and 2.x, and...) are less resource demanding than Gnome 3.x (I can't do anything on my 2011 MBP in Ubuntu — and I mean anything — without my system fans running flat out.)
  5. You still have all the good things Canonical contributed to the codebase
  6. Political, religious, and other frowned-upon or prohibited discussions aside, nobody here cares if someone talks about a subject which could be interpreted as "embarrassing" or "disrespectful" to the Chinese government
  7. Have I mentioned it uses Cinnamon be default? :lol:
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

1: Mint is best
2: All others are not as good
3: See number 1!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Seriously, The best OS is the one that works well, FOR YOU! To coin a phrase "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still". Like the old GMH/FORD debate, there are fanboys on both sides of the argument, and both are correct.... for them!
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

I am a long time ubuntu user, started in 2009 with Ubuntu, I believe is was Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope).
Since then I have gained alot of experience as a user. I consinder my self a power user. I have installed and used many distros and DE's
To name a few Manjaro (arch based), Linux Mint of course, Ubuntu almost all variants, Crunchbang, Linux Lite, Puppy linux, Fatdog64, CentOs, AntiX, Netrunner, Q4OS and others.
As for DE's I have used almost all, Gnome 2, Gnome 3, KDE 3,4,5, Mate, XFCE, LXDE, LXQT, openbox, Cinnamon, Fluxbox, Bundgie, Enlightment, Trinity, and others.
Starting with Debian 10 we have support for Snapd and flatpak and that means alot of applications can be installed and updated in their recent versions.
So with snapd I have Libreoffice 6.3, Onlyoffice, Opera, Telegram desktop, Skype, Viber
With flatpak I have Gimp etc.

Who needs Arch or Ubuntu? Debian stable is all we need. A stable system with updated apps via Snapd and flatpak. It is the perfect system. Two DE's, XFCE for lightweight and KDE for a more mature system. The iso's can be small, no need to bundle and office suite etc. It is no wonder that MX Linux has reached the top in Distrowatch.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Sell me on Mint! (Solved)

Post by MurphCID »

Mint Linux works. Out of the box it works 98% of the time unless you have an odd wifi card. I tried Pop OS on my other HP, and it would not install, Mint, like a champ.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”