Sell me on Mint! (Solved)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
riverguy99

Sell me on Mint! (Solved)

Post by riverguy99 »

I've been an Ubuntu user for many years (since 8.x) and I love it. 18.04 LTS is on all four of my computers. So I started hearing and reading about Mint and how very cool it is, so of course I had to give it a try. I installed it on a spare Dell XPS laptop and it installed sweetly, my printers both worked out of the chute, Internet was connected, etc. I like the opening graphic presentation, but then I started looking for differences beyond the visual and found nothing that seemed to matter. There were the usual changes that seem to be changes for the sake of changes, and most of them are a bit annoying since it means I have to learn, once again, different rules for simple tasks. And the screen icons for my various apps are all different. Not better, just different. So I have to get used to those now, too, after not even having to think about things like that for years.

OK, I really want to like Mint. For the visuals? For a change? Something new? Maybe, but I need some of your Mint enthusiasts to sell me on this! Tell me in what ways Mint will make my computer time more enjoyable, interesting, easier . . . whatever! I'm Linux forever, not going anywhere, always looking for ways to make my time at a computer (several hours a day doing Website work, photo and other image work, writing, publishing . . . things like that). No games. just work that I happen to enjoy doing and always want to make it even better!

Thank you for listening!

9/29/2019 Update

Sorry about not responding to all the replies to my post. I was waiting for the usual email alerting me to any replies, and since that never happened, it kinda slipped through the cracks.

So thank you, everyone, for your replies. Some were helpful, but others, I guess, followed the comment that I was not serious, but rather trolling here.
NOT! I was serious, and looking for some answers to a legitimate (I thought) question. I've heard/read so much praise on Mint that I installed and used it for a week or so and other than a new and more contemporary look, I found no functional differences for the kind of work I do.

One of the comments: "The irony is that you want to try something new only to end up complaining about the new things while having the different distros offer the same old things you need." If that was the case, I'd still be using Ubuntu 8.x! Actually, I wanted to try Mint because of all the good stuff I read/heard. I didn't mean to complain about anything; just didn't find anything improved, again, for the work I do, which is fairly varied and sometimes intense. I said I didn't find any, not that that there were none. I was asking for somebody to point them out for me. I'm not a power user by any stretch, but always manage to get things done and fix any OS glitches with the help of Ubuntu Forums. The glitches have become fewer and fewer with each new distro over the years. Just thought I'd venture out to some new territory. I'm truly sorry my questions sparked so much negativity, and I hope y'all can just forget it ever happened! I do like "new and improved," so I'll go play on my Mint laptop some more to find the good stuff on my own. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Sell me on Mint!

Post by Pjotr »

Ubuntu is excellent, but Linux Mint has succeeded in improving it a bit.

Of course Linux Mint literally *is* Ubuntu LTS for over 90 %, but Mint has some nifty tools of its own and some smart modifications. And its own desktop environments, naturally. Coupled with a firm commitment to keeping the look and feel of those rather traditional desktops unchanged: you won't have to get used to an entirely new desktop every few years....

I always say: Ubuntu is desktop Linux for the lazy. Linux Mint is desktop Linux for the very lazy. And I happen to be extremely lazy. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I wouldn't even try to. It would be like me trying to sell you the Chevrolet Cobalt when you have the Pontiac G5. :lol:

As you said, you love Ubuntu and have been using it for years.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

No one, i think is going to try to convince you that one Linux distro is "superior" to any other, YOU have to decide which distro is the VERY BEST for YOU...after all, YOU are the one that has to use whatever version you ultimately choose and YOU are the only ultimate authority of which version best supports your needs and wants in an Operating System...As for me, I find that Peppermint series OS's work the best for what i want but this is whats best for me...Doesnt stop me from being a member and part of the very best Linux support community out here (ie Linux Mint Forums)...YOU can run anything you ultimately like the best and still be a valued contributor right here if you so wish...just my 2 cents for what its worth...DAMIEN

PS...I "cut my teeth" with Linux OS's first with Zorin, and then LM before using many, many others since 2016.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

riverguy99 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:49 pm ... sell me on this!
You might as well say that while you absolutely despise the taste of cucumbers, you want to be sold on eating cucumbers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Why would you want to be sold something that's free to begin with?
Try it, like it, or toss it.
How about some oceanfront property in Arizona? :P
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hey all41...please sell me ocean front property here in NM...i miss my ocean front place back in NH...lol...the link below is an "earthcam" on Hampton beach NH where i used to live until i moved to nm 8 yrs ago...(my old "family owned" residence when the camera pans is right on the ocean front...sniff...sniff...i miss my ocean...hell, i miss that big old rambling house as well...DAMIEN

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/newhampshi ... mptonbeach
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

It's like this, you see. "You will like Linux mint or we'll send the Boys around to sort you out!, Kapisch?" :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK lsemmens, you said,
we'll send the Boys around to sort you out!
This now confirms that you have now watched 1 episode too many of either, "Blue Heelers" or "Brockenwood Mysteries"...lol...DAMIEN
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

It is one hell of a decision! Do I want a Chevy or a GMC???? What a frazzle dazzler of a conundrum :lol:

Ubuntu=Chevy
Mint=GMC

They are both the same under the hood but have different trim packages. They both use the same aftermarket parts and packages too!
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

What does Mint bring to the table that's different from Ubuntu...

Slightly different take on LTS.

E.g 19, 19,1, 19.2 and forthcoming 19.3 are all based on 18.04, but unlike Ubuntu point releases in 18.04 Mint point releases bring updated versions of Desktop Environments and Mint specific apps and tools (The Xapps, Update manager etc).

The Xapps project provides a consistent set of basic apps in Mint that are the same irrespective of Desktop Environment, which reduces the learning curve for users moving between different DE's within Mint.

Similarly there is a consistent default Desktop layout irrespective of Desktop Environment.

Mint Update manager provides some useful kernel management that Ubuntu's updater lacks.

Flatpak support out of the box rather than Snap, but no pre-installed Flatpak software in Mint.

Timeshift out of the box.

Other than that you are really looking at differences between Desktop Environment and default artwork and that's really just personal preference and what you are familiar with in terms of workflow.

Both have great communities. Mint has the slight advantage in that we can also refer to Ubuntu support info when we need to..... :mrgreen:
Last edited by smurphos on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

as an long time user of the LinuxMint System:
- there is a ton of work, done by the Team.LinuxMint in order to make their system User Friendly.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If Mint doesn't sell you on Mint, then you don't like Mint and that is fine. Use what you like.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

smurphos wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:20 am Other than that you are really looking at differences between Desktop Environment
Yeah, and this is not a meager difference. Let OP sell me on Ubuntu with GNOME3 shell, if he can... Tough chance without a dozen or more extensions. :mrgreen:
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

What puzzles me is if you are so happy and love Ubuntu then why are you looking at a different distro? You are the only one that can sell yourself on anything period.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

“A man convinced against his will
Is of the same opinion still”
Dale Carnegie
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

riverguy99 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:49 pmTell me in what ways Mint will make my computer time more enjoyable, interesting, easier . . . whatever!
Who knows what should made YOUR computer more enjoyable, e.t.c. For you.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:17 pm OK lsemmens, you said,
we'll send the Boys around to sort you out!
This now confirms that you have now watched 1 episode too many of either, "Blue Heelers" or "Brockenwood Mysteries"...lol...DAMIEN
Surprisingly enough, I've not watched too many of either. Of course I havr watched a few versions of their predecessors.. ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You have missed out on some pretty good show then, you Aussie's really do have some pretty good TV, better than the crap they give us here, hence why i watch almost all British, Aussie, Canadian, NZ, ITV, etc. Thank you Lord for Roku boxes. lol...DAMIEN
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 am You have missed out on some pretty good show then, you Aussie's really do have some pretty good TV, better than the crap they give us here, hence why i watch almost all British, Aussie, Canadian, NZ, ITV, etc. Thank you Lord for Roku boxes. lol...DAMIEN
+1
I watch more Acorn than I do Netflix. Damien I know you are a Acorn fan - just finished LEVEL only six episodes - riveting! Also Keeping Faith another good mystery. I heard Doc Martin is coming back and supposedly they talked the actress who did Happy Valley to another series - looking forward to both of those.

The problem with US TV shows is they all have 23 episodes per season so sometimes things get stale and the episodes are just the same thing over and over - God how long has Blue Bloods be going? 12 seasons and counting or some such thing and each episode essentially the same recipe . . . . boring boring. For me the Brit/Aussie/NZ TV shows are the best hands down.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”