Random Freezes Again

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Random Freezes Again

Post by trytip »

i don't have and did check quite frequent/var/lib/systemd/coredump but had them in arch.
these are new from today each one about 12MB. it's an AMD/RYZEN issue i'm sure xorg crashes all the time to login screen

Code: Select all

mint03@mint03:/var/crash$ ls -l
total 25228
-rw-r----- 1 mint03 mint03 12982682 Dec  1 22:22 _usr_bin_zsnes.1000.crash
-rw-r----- 1 root   root   12847214 Dec  1 21:41 _usr_lib_xorg_Xorg.0.crash
mint03@mint03:/var/crash$ 
how can they help me if i can barely open them in text editor to kind of get an idea of said hiccups. gave up on that waiting about 5 minutes to load one in libre or gedit but just for curiosity it ate my ram and hoisted up fanspeed on cpu. no sense in wearing down my hardware. i just delete and move on. makes no difference what kernel i use or even proprietary or open source drivers.
this only happens in cinnamon

he he and i threw the screensaver off the bus cause gets on my nerve cinnamon-screensaver running when i have screensaver disabled, thinking it was causing something. now it can wait for the next bus

Code: Select all

cinnamon-session[18007]: WARNING: t+5.77063s: Detected that screensaver has left the bus

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Mint report is the crash log viewer in Mint.....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I can't find 'Mint Report' on my XFCE version? I do have 'System Reports' though, even if it shows nothing after the last 4 or so freezes/crashes my 19.1 system has had over the last couple months?

Nothing in /Var/Crash reports either?

For me i've gone from running 4.15 kernels (after Pjotr's advice on that) to the 5.3 ones, but now i've had both a freeze and crash under 5.3.0-45 and -46 kernels? Just no obvious crash report to look into or upload to the devs.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:22 am
aambumann wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am
Do not know what upstream microcode is or how to install.
Download it, then double-click it to install it:
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... _amd64.deb
Is this required anymore? Or has it been part of the kernel updates more recently? Also the link given is 404 now, so where to find it? Is this it?

https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/a ... e/download
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/ ... ryzen_cpu/

That is a typical thread on the issue reported in this thread. 'c6 state' seems to be the issue, and so far no 'fix' available for Ryzen+Linux users?

I'm running the latest kernel for XFCE and wondering what steps to take next to see if the problem can be resolved.

I wondering if the distro might also matter, like maybe using Cinnamon over XFCE, or even plain Ubuntu over Mint, that kind of thinking?

Any suggestions on where to start to see if i can solve this rare/occasional but annoying issue on my system (under Windows 7 it is not a problem!)?

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

(small update).

Since moving from Brave as my main browser for viewing youtube, i have not (yet) had a 'freeze' event. So in the last week to ten days since i made the switch to Chromium.

I'm not sure if this says anything useful or not, but i will be sticking with Chromium for now while i am doing long hours on youtube etc.

carcharot--
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carcharot-- »

Hy.
My computer's configuration is this:
- Mother: Asus PRIME B450M-A
- Processor: AMD Athlon 200GE
- Kernel: 5.3.0-51-generic (the last one to this day, 5.3.0-53 gives me a no-shout-down error).

I had all the problems that have being described: from the installation problem -black or coloured screen- (that was solved by using one of the last kernel versions), to the random-freezing problem.
The freezing problem happened to me using Cinnamon desktop, and later using my current Mate desktop.

This solved the freezing problems (I have no clue about how nor why that worked, it just did it; so don't ask me; more than that, it worked using iommu, and not amd_iommu as indicated in some posts):
- I turned off the "sleeping" settings of my Bios.
- In Terminal: sudo xed /etc/default/grub
- Edit line, to this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash iommu=pt idle=nomwait"
- Save the text file.
- In terminal: sudo update-grub

I hope it helps somebody.
-- cacha -- :wink:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”