Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:50 am
Catweazel ===> Queen Latifah
I just felt like quoting this, not sure why. :lol:
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Re: linux mint name change

Post by Portreve »

Honestly, I see no reason to change this distro's name. In any event, the sort of names I might pick for a distro would mostly be either explicit, profane, or both. :wink:

Zum Beispiel, Enormous ****e******** ****s Linux would probably, in most circumstances, be considered highly inappropriate. :shock:
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm
In any event, the sort of names I might pick for a distro would mostly be either explicit, profane, or both. :wink:

Zum Beispiel, Enormous ****e******** ****s Linux would probably, in most circumstances, be considered highly inappropriate. :shock:
:lol:
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that many use such for passwords .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm
Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:34 pm
In any event, the sort of names I might pick for a distro would mostly be either explicit, profane, or both. :wink:

:lol:
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that many use such for passwords .. :mrgreen:
As George Takei would say, “Oh myyyy!”
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

If you use DuckDuckGo (Google is no longer my friend) and type...Linux Mint...you get exactly that. Image

Changing the name is just plain stupid. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Mister Cabbage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mister Cabbage »

at this point the team should just keep it "linux mint" since it's had that name all this time and that's what everyone knows it by.

if they were going to rebrand it, i would suggest naming it "cinnamon" or "cinnamon os" after the desktop environment and then just call the actual desktop software "cinnamon desktop". calling it some variation of cinnamon would make it sound a bit more unique to peppermint from peppermint os.

shorten the current name to "limi"?

how about shutters? shutters cover up windows, and i'd imagine most of us here want to forget all about windows. :wink:
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

How about LinuMint? :mrgreen:
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Mister Cabbage wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:47 pm
calling it some variation of cinnamon would make it sound a bit more unique to peppermint from peppermint os.
Peppermint is partially derived from Linux Mint. It postdates Linux Mint by about 4 years, and from day 1 they borrowed a few Linux Mint developed applications such as the Software Manager I don't think Linux Mint should rename just because another later released distro uses a similar name and uses some Linux Mint developed components
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mister Cabbage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mister Cabbage »

smurphos wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:03 am
Peppermint is partially derived from Linux Mint. It postdates Linux Mint by about 4 years, and from day 1 they borrowed a few Linux Mint developed applications such as the Software Manager I don't think Linux Mint should rename just because another later released distro uses a similar name and uses some Linux Mint developed components
i didn't realize that. i used peppermint on a live cd one time around 2 years ago. it didn't catch my interest and i never kept on it or looked into it further. so i agree on that point, linux mint was first so they shouldn't have to change because of peppermint. fair enough.

but as i said previously:
at this point the team should just keep it "linux mint" since it's had that name all this time and that's what everyone knows it by.
truthfully, i don't care what they call it. i installed and stuck with linux mint for the user experience it provides, not the name.
dimspace
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dimspace »

ugly wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:02 am
murray wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:43 pm
Intel used to trademark numbers that they used in their CPU models (eg 286, 386, etc). Until I judge decided that it wasn't appropriate for a company to own a trademark for a simple number. That's when they started using proper names, eg Pentium, for their CPUs.
No, that's a bit of a myth. You can trademark a number. But with a number it is a bit more difficult to show distinctiveness. I believe that issue with Intel had to do with their chip names becoming 'generic'.

I seem to remember that Nigel Mansell managed to trademark a red number 5 (But, in a limited capacity so only on things like racing car related merchandise)
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Dont Fix What Aint Broken.

In my humble opinion.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”