Lenovo Chromebook and Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
ACE_
Level 2
Level 2

Lenovo Chromebook and Linux Mint

Post by ACE_ »

Has anyone had any success with installing LM on a Lenovo Chromebook (specifically Lenovo N21) ?
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo Chromebook and Linux Mint

Post by bc1x »

Just saw this post today. Since there have been no replies, I'll make a few, brief comments, in the event that OP has completely forgotten about this post.

Dual-boot or replacing Chrome OS with Linux is a fairly similar process for all Chromebooks, when they are supported on the MrChrombox.tech website.

First consideration is whether the OP can get into Developer Mode. If the Lenovo N21 belongs to a school or college, that 's a deal breaker.

Because the end-of-support is September 2021, the next consideration is dual-boot or replacement of Chrome OS.

The third consideration is whether it is worthwhile to dual-boot with a storage capacity of only 16 GB on the SSD.

The lightest 19.3 is the Xfce version, which requires 15 GB on the hard drive. The final consideration is whether GalliumOS, which has a base requirement of 3 GB for storage, might not be a better choice.
bc1x
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lenovo Chromebook and Linux Mint

Post by bc1x »

Dual-booting with Chrome OS & LM is a bit of a hassle, because you need to toggle back & forth. There is also the possibility of losing data after each login, which would be rather annoying. Replacing Chrome OS is the way to go.

The main difference between your Lenovo N21 & my Acer C710 is the write-protect mechanism. You have a screw, while I have a jumper. Unfortunately the MrChromebox website does not have a link to a photo of the wp screw. Opening up your device is moderately difficult.

This video shows how to get inside. It is not necessary to disconnect the keyboard & touchpad ribbon cables; just gently shift the front panel to your right to expose the upper left corner. This reddit thread seems to suggest that the wp screw is between the card reader & USB port. I can't open the image files with my Google account to get a better sense of the wp screw location. The copper base under the correct screw is divided into 4 quarters. If you have any additional questions about the wp screw, head over to that subforum. You will notice that Matt DeVillier (MrChromebox himself) posts there. If you have any questions for him, use that subforum or email him directly. The address is on his website in the Support section. He's a nice guy.

GalliumOS is lighter on resources, but the GUI leaves a lot to be desired. Just as I don't care for the orange & purple look of Ubuntu, GalliumOS is not that attractive.

Another difference is your touchpad. I have a Cypress APA trackpad. To make your touchpad work in XFCE, your chrome.conf file will have to be constructed differently.

If the conversion tutorial is not too daunting; feel free to ask additional questions, should you decide to go that route. Smooth sailing!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”