Does Linux work better on AMD or Pentium PC's

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Does Linux work better on AMD or Pentium PC's

Post by mintjulip »

Does Linux work better on Athlon or Pentium PC's?

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Does Linux work better on AMD or Pentium PC's

Post by catweazel »

mintjulip wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 pm
Yes.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

mintjulip wrote:
Uh-oh . . . . . I smell a which is better Ford or Chevy debate coming. I have run Mint on both AMD and Intel with excellent results - performance depends on a myriad of things but not the actual brand of the CPU IMHO but like I said get ready for the the debate.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

mintjulip wrote:
There is no way of giving a meaningful answer to this question.
Athlon is not one specific AMD CPU. Athlon processors have seen many different generations and many different flavours.
Pentium is not one specific Intel CPU. Intel has sold many different CPU types and generations under the label of "Pentium".
In addition, every computer is more than just its specific CPU.
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint »

Yes
+ 1 for curmudgeon
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip »

Hi Guys

In that case I'll keep what I've got

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom »

Some better than others. :lol:

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mintjulip.

In case you have got a specific machine, and you want to know whether it is able to run Linux Mint 19.2, then you could boot it from a Linux Mint 19.2 live system and find out.
In case you have got 2 different machines, one with an AMD Athlon processor and one with some Intel Pentium processor, you could try the same Linux Mint 19.2 live system on both of them and find out, whether one runs better than the other.

In case you would like to get helpful feedback here in the forum, then you should post inxi -Fxxxz reports for the relevant machine(s). Else this thread will end in a meaningless chitchat.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Compatibility with Linux (Mint or any other version it seems) is down to so many different things. Any one type of CPU is just one bit of the concern as much as what the Motherboard is or what the specific BIOS on that board might be, or maybe the combination of all the different parts down to what the original pre-installed OS on the system might be (Windows 10 shifted things in this new era to sometimes make it harder to successfully set up dual-boot installations depending on the hardware and settings etc).

Acer laptops have a current bad reputation because Acer started to set things up differently on their end over recent years, whereas my +decade old Acer Travelmate has always been easy to set up in a Windows (original installed OS)/Linux Mint dual boot setup, as it pre-dated the corporate culture change at Acer (i guess you would call it that?).

So in short there are just so many variables these days (from hardware mix to software deployment to anti-competition practices (MS+hardware vendors making it difficult etc)) when seeing if you can run your OS of choice easily or not.

The No.1 greatest thing about Linux Mint (or any other Unix based OS) is that it is FREE (as in 'free beer') to try out, and as Karichen said you just try a live disc session to see if that specific hardware/software combo will work nice or not. If not you can then try more specific internet searches around that specific PC model etc. There are often ways to work around the modern day restrictions put in place by the OS and vendors.

Most Linux users will however agree that in general Nvidia GPU's are better supported under Linux vs AMD GPU's. People still use AMD GPU's in Linux.

This is probably about as clear as mud? ;)

In short don't worry about it too much, do your hardware compatibility research as thoroughly as possible and use the free live session disc option to test that hardware.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:24 pm
mintjulip wrote:
Yes.
Ha! :lol:
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”