SSL cert error on community.linuxmint.com

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
jean.jordaan
Level 2
Level 2

SSL cert error on community.linuxmint.com

Post by jean.jordaan »

Websites prove their identity via certificates. Firefox does not trust this site because it uses a certificate that is not valid for community.linuxmint.com. The certificate is only valid for the following names: linuxmint.com, www.linuxmint.com

Code: Select all

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: SSL cert error on community.linuxmint.com

Post by xenopeek »

No problem here. Can you retry? You may need to clear browser cache.

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

I confirm what jean.jordaan reported using Firefox and Vivaldi. It is still common to find subdomains sharing a certificate of the main domain but browsers complain. One can of course accept the risk and continue to the site, and I do this for sites I trust where there is no financial risk. The question is does it really cause a security issue particularly when the site content, and the user's use of it, does not necessitate encryption?
Version: LM 19.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

On the server side the SSL certificate is valid. Make sure you're using https to connect so use the link https://community.linuxmint.com.

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

The certificate does not match the subdomain and is therefore rejected by browsers.
Version: LM 19.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

It does on the server and is sent as such to clients. When I view the certificate here in Firefox it is for domain community.linuxmint.com and has SHA-256 fingerprint:
46:9F:A0:F4:D3:CD:8F:5E:0A:06:95:44:26:70:C1:4C:8E:41:CF:83:9C:44:B5:3B:51:12:2F:74:EE:E2:13:E1
For linuxmint.com the SHA-256 fingerprint is:
6D:D1:E3:40:34:1A:A5:BC:B0:A5:AD:CA:EE:DA:6A:93:84:7C:D2:7F:C5:5B:86:29:69:17:EB:8A:F4:AD:90:2C
Both valid till January 6 2020.

Clear your browser cache and make sure you're connecting to https://community.linuxmint.com. If that doesn't help look at your network connection. Could it be your network is caching internet pages, like on some corporate networks? Or are you connecting through an untrusted network (public wifi, proxy, free VPN, Tor etc)? Try connecting through a different network if either of those is the case.

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

The same problem exists at https://blog.linuxmint.com because the certificate is issued to the main domain linuxmint.com not the subdomain blog.linuxmint.com . This is what browsers do not like. Of course, it can be overridden by creating a security exception but it is probably disconcerting to someone visiting the site for the first time.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Can you share a screenshot of the error you're getting and can you accept the exception and then view the certificate and share a screenshot of that as well? Flying blind here as the websites are working fine for others.

In case I wasn't clear: you should not be prompted to add exceptions if you're receiving a non-cached page and a non-cached SSL certificate. The subdomains all have their own certificates. Other members and visitors are not adding exceptions to view the websites. That's not normal, something's broken on your end or something is breaking it between you and the server (by serving you cached content is all I can think of).

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 pm
The subdomains all have their own certificates.
That's what I'm seeing. But given past troubles with Sucuri's CDN, is it at all possible some part of the CDN does not have the current certificate?

Maybe have them download it outside of a browser to be sure:

echo -n|openssl s_client -connect blog.linuxmint.com:443
and/or

echo -n|openssl s_client -connect community.linuxmint.com:443
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

Switched on this morning and no problem at community.linuxmint.com or blog.linuxmint.com . Certificates are as expected. Unless something has been tweaked server end the cause remains a mystery.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Sucuri's new server covers Central Europe and it was added yesterday. It looks like it didn't sync properly with some of the sites and their certificates.

This was fixed 7 hours ago (sorry I thought I had posted about this here last night, it was 3am, and this morning I found I didn't..). Everything should be fine now.

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

The certificate problem is back (at least in the UK.) Is it the Sucuri issue again?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

We've had a couple of similar reports just now about this issue returning to the forums, where last Friday the issue was also on https://www.linuxmint.com/, https://blog.linuxmint.com/ and https://community.linuxmint.com/. Could you confirm those other websites don't give you an SSL error now? That would help.

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Post by rene »

Replying via VPN (weee; found a use for a VPN other than actual virtual private networking!) ...

The three you mention have no issue -- and forums.linuxmint.com doesn't have the certificate issue since an hour or so anymore either, but latter is still inaccessible, now just landing immediately on the Sucuri 502 page: this afternoon it did so only after confirming a security exception.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry about this. Something is resetting the configuration of that newly added CDN server... Sucuri is looking into it.

We also had a 502 today, this is fixed now.

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Post by rene »

Up indeed.

Peter Linu
Level 5
Level 5

Attention Board - Security risk

Post by Peter Linu »

This is what I get when I try to logon to this page.
Screenshot from 2019-12-10 17-06-29.png
Last edited by xenopeek on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged here
EVERYDAY Dual-boot Win7+Cinnamon 19.3 Thinkpad T440p#2 i5,8Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD, 1Tb HDD +7 other laptops in various states of use and modification.

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Re: SSL cert error on forums.linuxmint.com

Post by rene »

Yes. Certificate issue back again (but this time forums up after granting an exception).

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I don't think we'll get the 402 anymore, we fixed that on our side. We're still chasing the SSL error though... we've a way of fixing it temporarily but it keeps coming back after half a day or so. Sucuri is looking into it still.

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Attention Board - Security risk

Post by ZakGordon »

Peter Linu wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:12 am
This is what I get when I try to logon to this page.Screenshot from 2019-12-10 17-06-29.png
Yeah that was what i was getting also (from around 6am GMT). It was also mentioning the certificate had 'expired' on Dec 9th. The error was just for the forums, the main site was fine. I tested in multiple browsers and sometime over the last hour or so it seemed to have resolved itself, so that is why i came to post.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”