Linux 19.3 'Tricia' No More Mouse & Screen Freezes! What I did to make her 'Bullet Proof' (aka been working No Probs)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Linux 19.3 'Tricia' No More Mouse & Screen Freezes! What I did to make her 'Bullet Proof' (aka been working No Probs)

Post by mintjulip »

Hi Guys

I could wind up with egg on my face but I think I've made my Copy of Linux Mint 'Tricia' 19.3 Bullet Proof at last!

No more Mouse Freezes, No more Screen Freezes, No more Crashing, No more Hanging up, No more Black Screening!

Spent some time down the Library using their Computer instead of mine, which was using Windows 10 but all I wanted to use it for was research, as while I'm not a 'Techie' I wanted to try and find out what was wrong with Linux 19.3 'Tricia'

Where no matter how many Hard Starts I did or how many Clean Installs, Linux 19.3 kept Crashing every single day, where I was plagued by Mouse Freezes as well as Screen Freezes and also Black Screening and dropping connections

I thought it might have been a Hardware problem, so the first thing I did was replace the CMOS Battery, No dice nothing changed

Then I changed the Graphics Card from my Spare Computer, No change still freezing and crashing

This was driving me crazy, so I headed off down the Library to do a bit of research on their Windows Computer, just in case I got a Virus

From what I was able to find out, it looks as if Firefox has a 'Bug' and when I try and Boot up, it actually does say 'Bug' Comreset Failed

So having then returned to base, I did a Complete Fresh Re-Install including Deleting Everything! as I keep a back up of all my Docs and Photos

As soon as 19.3 'Tricia' was installed, even before even doing stuff like 'Time Shift' the First thing I did was to Uninstall Firefox, which has always been my Favorite Browser, ever since I got my first Computer 'Years ago'

And then once having done so Installed 'Google Chrome' from the depository 'I'm not a big fan of Google' but at least it was one I had heard of

Then and only then, did I start Browsing

The end result was Amazing! No more Freezing/No More Crashing or any of the problems that I used to have

At the time of Writing (hope I don't end up eating my words!) Linux 19.3 'Tricia' is running absolutely Perfect, where I can jump from page to page or from site to site and there is no way that I have been able to get it to Freeze or Crash and its also absolutely Blazing Fast!

I am very much hoping to return to Firefox one day but not until I'm sure they have it fixed

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux 19.3 'Tricia' No More Mouse & Screen Freezes! What I did to make her 'Bullet Proof' (aka been working No Probs

Post by Pjotr »

No problems with Firefox in 19.3 Tricia here. On two completely different machines. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux 19.3 'Tricia' No More Mouse & Screen Freezes! What I did to make her 'Bullet Proof' (aka been working No Probs

Post by mintjulip »

Maybe you had Firefox before it got a 'Bug'?

I was using Firefox 70 (maybe I just got unlucky) but I'm now on Hard drive No:2 that was also Freezing and Crashing but not anymore
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mintjulip wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:11 pm Maybe you had Firefox before it got a 'Bug'?

I was using Firefox 70 (maybe I just got unlucky) but I'm now on Hard drive No:2 that was also Freezing and Crashing but not anymore
I am using Firefox 70.0.1, which is currently the very latest Firefox for Linux Mint 19.3.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip »

Hi

Maybe I got a bad Mirror where the OS may have had a 'Bug'

But its been running perfect all day long

Its hard to see how the developers can improve on this, as for me this Linux Mint distro is absolute perfection!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:37 pm No problems with Firefox in 19.3 Tricia here. On two completely different machines. :mrgreen:
I have been playing with 19.3 beta also, in fact, it is the only Distro of anything that will actually load up on my new ASUS TUF laptop. I thought I was destined to stay in Win10 land :(

I have loaded 19.3 several times, trying one thing or another, and FF 70 has never, ever, crashed.
don't know what you might have going on, but it is NOT Firefox.

FF.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
silentlion853

Post by silentlion853 »

I've been having mouse freezes since 19.XX. I can't even install 19.3 because of this. It also happens with any new Ubuntu derivative. No problems with 18.3 or debian edition.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

No problems here with FF, 19.3 running smooth as glass and looking the most polished yet of the Mints. Good job Devs :D
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip »

Old Problem 'Had' returned!

Only Worse this time, as not only was either the Mouse or Screen Freezing or Both of them at the same time but sometimes the whole Computer would just die without any warning

No Lights on the Keyboard or anywhere else for that matter, it was just like I had Switched it off but during the moments it did work, I could hear the Power Supply 'Hunting' with the Revs going up and down like a Car

Not very loud but the Hunting was definitely there, so I took the Power Supply out and gave it a blow with my Compressor, then once having put it back, I noticed something else!

One of the Case Cooling Fans was dead and not Spinning, so I took it out and blew it through but still couldn't get it to Spin, when I put it back and I didn't have a spare Fan that had the same connection

Although I am going to get one asap and so for the time being I removed it, as being a Cooler Master Case, there are Fans everywhere, so I don't think overheating is going to be a problem

But what was interesting, was that when I booted up the Computer again (expecting it not to work or go on a Freeze Fest) Touch Wood its running Smooth as Silk 'at least it is at the moment'

Do you think the Non Turning Fan might have been putting some sort of load on the Power Unit that may have caused my Computer to Cut Out/Crash/Freeze

Is there anything in the depository that would let me keep an eye on the Temperature or any way of having a quick look at the Temperature while She is running?
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip »

OK Thanks

But as soon as I disconnected that bad Case Fan, everything works ok at least for the moment

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”