RING Security Doorbell

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

RING Security Doorbell

Post by Pepi »

Anyone found a way to run the application to view a RING security doorbell camera? RING makes an app for MAC, Windows and Android. I don't have WINE installed and really don't want to install it. I've searched here and on the internet a bit but really only found unsecured stuff.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: RING Security Doorbell

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I think i would be contacting Ring Customer Support for this question...Dont be suprised to have them say they do not currently support Linux based systems...DAMIEN
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

buyer beware of things that can look at and talk to you
Man hacks Ring camera in 8-year-old girl's bedroom, taunts her: 'I'm Santa Claus'
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi trytip, I agree...i will never allow things like this into my home for any reason...that includes smart tv's as well as that talking amazon or google box that seems so popular now...dont worry about Gov't spying, Corporate America is already doing it for them, they only need a warrant to access it from them without having to spend the billions of dollars in infrastrastructure themselves to do this...DAMIEN
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Ding Dong :roll:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Here is just one more reason to not trust these things...If we value privacy and security, then why do we allow these things in our homes???...DAMIEN

https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/staten-is ... -teenager/
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

I wouldn't have anything like this in my house either, but if I did - “Consumers should always practice good password hygiene and we encourage Ring customers to change their passwords and enable two-factor authentication,” ...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... me-cameras
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

If you want video security get a system that's closed circuit and does not connect to the internet.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

All of you guys keep saying IN my home :P This is outside my home and is setup with two-factor authentication, FIrewall and VPN. I would never put a WiFi camera inside my home
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i'm guessing not many users have this security you speak of, otherwise someone would have surely given you info on how to run the application software. but do be sure not to watch the video for it, you'll die after 7 days :mrgreen:

he he "so do you see like naked people? probably all the time, huh" a user asks the hacker hacking his camera
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ring-camera- ... ccounter=1
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Now I'm thinking about getting this system, setting it up all over my home, then walking around naked all the time while playing Lawrence Welk music.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Portreve wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:02 am Now I'm thinking about getting this system, setting it up all over my home, then walking around naked all the time while playing Lawrence Welk music.
This is the reason I don't have any in my home. I would SCAR these poor young hackers for life :mrgreen:
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
rjsrjs

Post by rjsrjs »

Bingo!! for everyone. I will never go down that road either. :shock:
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

I think y'all are missing something. The so called hacking of Ring was simple lack of understanding on the user part not some zero day or vulnerability thing. If any of these folks had set their systems up with a strong random passphrase and username that wasn't used at all eslewhere they'd have no troubles. At least according to tech reporting. Thats a bit different though for the cheap IP cams which do have big vulnerabilities.

To the OP's actual question, I don't think there is a linux solution, not even HTTPS. They don't seem to be interested. Thats one reason why I use Arlo instead. Loving it.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

oldgranola wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:59 pm I think y'all are missing something. The so called hacking of Ring was simple lack of understanding on the user part not some zero day or vulnerability thing. If any of these folks had set their systems up with a strong random passphrase and username that wasn't used at all eslewhere they'd have no troubles. At least according to tech reporting. Thats a bit different though for the cheap IP cams which do have big vulnerabilities.

To the OP's actual question, I don't think there is a linux solution, not even HTTPS. They don't seem to be interested. Thats one reason why I use Arlo instead. Loving it.
Thank YOU 8)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am wanting to set up an IP Video Camera that is dedicated to looking down my driveway.

I am off the road by about 350 feet, and have an alarm that goes 'ding' when a vehicle passes near it at the gates.
I have an old Acer Aspire laptop that I can dedicate to an Always On Screen to just watch the Driveway camera.

Ordered up the IP cam about a year ago, wife got sick, and I misplaced it.
Hope that I can find it somewhere...

As for someone also being able to look at it, nothing there to see folks.

I have the Arlo System, but by the time the Alarm goes Ding, and I can look at the uploaded video, the Brown truck and the White FedEx trucks are already leaving.... Arlo is NOT worth a damn.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:52 pm

I have the Arlo System, but by the time the Alarm goes Ding, and I can look at the uploaded video, the Brown truck and the White FedEx trucks are already leaving.... Arlo is NOT worth a damn.
Totally disagree Works like a charm for me all around the house for me and my fam. Caught one dude already alerted in real time, very useful. He'll not be coming back. Latency can definitely occur when the wireless signal is low or the cam is in too high res. I did have to fix that. Perhaps your issue? Might need a repeater and do stay away from their highest res cam, too much bandwidth and not worth the price. As to your cheap IP cams, dont. You'll be hacked soon even if you follow the rules...guarantee. Too many back doors on poor non-updated linux distros.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

oldgranola wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:35 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Totally disagree Works like a charm for me all around the house for me and my fam. Caught one dude already alerted in real time, very useful. He'll not be coming back. Latency can definitely occur when the wireless signal is low or the cam is in too high res. I did have to fix that. Perhaps your issue? Might need a repeater and do stay away from their highest res cam, too much bandwidth and not worth the price. As to your cheap IP cams, dont. You'll be hacked soon even if you follow the rules...guarantee. Too many back doors on poor non-updated linux distros.
that makes me think that you have a fiber coax connection, lucky you. Bandwidths in the 150Mbps range and higher.

I am in a very rural area, and my upload speeds are roughly 1Mbps, it takes 20-30 minutes to upload a 30 second video.

and while that video is trying to upload, the entire house is locked out of the internet.

I have a spare WiFi router that isn't being used, does not support 5g, so I parked it.

I could set that up for the IP camera and just not connect it to the Internet....
that way, the old and slow Acer Aspire could never be reached by a hacker.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”